Decriminalize Marijuana?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
CSDP said:
Congressman Barney Frank introduced legislation to federally decriminalize marijuana. The bill, HR5843, is co-sponsored by Rep. Ron Paul.

According to Congressman Frank's office ("FRANK INTRODUCES LEGISLATION TO REMOVE FEDERAL PENALTIES ON PERSONAL MARIJUANA USE," April 17, 2008), "Congressman Barney Frank today introduced bi-partisan legislation aimed at removing federal restrictions on the individual use of marijuana (HR 5843). One bill would remove federal penalties for the personal use of marijuana, and the other (HR 5842) – versions of which Frank has filed in several preceding sessions of Congress – would allow the medical use of marijuana in states that have chosen to make its use for medical purposes legal with a doctor’s recommendation. Representative Ron Paul (R-TX) joined Frank as a cosponsor of the federal penalties bill. The cosponsors of the medical marijuana bill are Rep. Paul, along with Reps. Maurice Hinchey (D-NY), Dana Rohrabacher (R-CA), and Sam Farr (D-CA).

The Congressman is quoted as saying: "To those who say that the government should not be encouraging the smoking of marijuana, my response is that I completely agree. But it is a great mistake to divide all human activity into two categories: those that are criminally prohibited, and those that are encouraged. In a free society, there must be a very considerable zone of activity between those two poles in which people are allowed to make their own choices as long as they are not impinging on the rights, freedom, or property of others. I believe it is important with regard to tobacco, marijuana and alcohol, among other things, that we strictly regulate the age at which people may use these substances. And, enforcement of age restrictions should be firm. But, criminalizing choices that adults make because we think they are unwise ones, when the choices involved have no negative effect on the rights of others, is not appropriate in a free society. If the laws I am proposing pass, states will still be free to treat marijuana as they wish. But I do not believe that the federal government should treat adults who choose to smoke marijuana as criminals.​

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Marijuana should be legal everywhere in the world , it's not harmful like the other drugs ( for example . addiction ). Same goes for LSD.

Retired Forum Staff
Best answers
*blinks* Marijuana isn't addictive? Did I miss a memo?

Personally, I think Alcohol is a good deal more harmful than Marijuana. If we accept one then why not the other?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Engar said:
I've never heard of anyone becoming addicted to marijuana, ever. >_>

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You can become addicted to everything. mentally that is.
physically it's indeed impossible to become addicted to Marijuana ( unlike cigarettes and even alcohol )

Force Pit Member
Best answers

Personally, I think Alcohol is a good deal more harmful than Marijuana. If we accept one then why not the other?
if you come to think of it alcohol is more dangerous than pot, you can get drunk and kill youre best friend or you can get high and cover the doornoob with a towel because youre scared of it
it should be the otehr way around, alcohol should be ilegal

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hey that's nonsense, I've had some killer times while drunk.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well its a proven fact that marihuana is less harmfull to the body than normall smokes. Allthough getting high from it can probably kill you faster. As in sleep on the road XD

In any case our country has an interesting law about it. Its legal to have it for personall use. Limited amount ofcourse. But i dont know the exact gram number.

But its forbidden to grow it, sell it or buy it ^^ You can still own it up to the amount though XD

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Legalise pot? sure
Do pot and drive? NO!

this study is total bull****.
Pot severally lowers your reaction time.

Don't drink and drive, don't do drugs and drive.

The reports linked in that summary are incomplete and biased.
I know for a fact that last dutch article mentioned is incomplete.

Nearly all dutch based studies I've read on the subject show that cannabis negatively effects driving skills.
linking 10 studies performed over 20 years are not going to win from the few thousands that's been done in total.

Last edited:

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
If you wanna know some funnier loopholes look up the laws in the states about shipping shroom spores.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
heh, this takes me back, I did a huge essay on this subject for sociology.

There is nothing physically addictive in marijuana, there is no chemical or compound that makes you dependant on the drug. However it is mentally addictive as it can be used a coping mechanism, a relaxant, an escapism

There is no doubt in my mind that alcohol is a much more harmful drug for not only people, but society as a whole, than marijuana is. Alcohol creates anti-social and violent behaviour, removes peoples inhibitions and makes them feel a complete lack of responsibility for their actions. Alcohol fuel's violent crime, it puts drink drivers on the road, it causes serious misjudgement of situations which put others at risk. It's physically addictive to the point that the body becomes almost completely dependant on it, a heavy drinker cannot simply stop drinking without putting their own life at risk. It causes severe anxiety, insomnia, tremors, hallucinations and convulsions. It damages your brain and liver and put you at risk of strokes. Once you are addicted, you are addicted for life. That's without going into detail of all the mental problems it causes too.

That being said, I do enjoy going out with my friends and getting drunk and behaving irresponsibility, as many people do. At the moment, drinking culture is a big problem in my country and I myself am part of that problem, but I like to think I act quite responsibly and know when I've had enough. This cannot be said for everyone though.

As far as it goes with marijuana, It can cause severe paranoia and mild schizophrenia and make the user more anti-social, it makes people apathetic and harms short term memory. But again, I use it and enjoy it.

bill hicks said it best

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fntiAF3OSts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVGORj6dHhg

Last edited:
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Bill Hicks applies to everything.

I love you, Dave. <3

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm so glad Barney Frank represents Massachusetts.

Plus he also has the same name as me kinda.

He is *** though...Well I'm not so what do I have to worry about? YAY FOR WEED!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom