DBZ XENOVERSE!!!!

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Highest combo for me was probably around 25 hits because I can't bloody understand how you're meant to follow-up on some of them and most of them seem to have a pretty short chain before the end punch which usually sends them to the floor. Not talking here about that spammable X and 2xY combo which can be continued forever which me as well as everyone else has discovered (funnily enough, considered a bug). But with those Evasive Ultimate they can just **** me over with anything I try since they can be triggered even while taking damage. So how you got to 40~ is beyond me because I put points in my Basics and Strikes and Saiybamen die in around 10 Hit combos and anything beyond them either use Vanish, Ki Blasts to stop you or Evasives in my experience. I am just so used to the responsiveness of the characters in the old games, where when I press block it would happen when I need it, not 2 seconds after when my face is already punch pie.
Trust me the only reason I managed to get so many hits is because enemies are genuine damage absorbing sponges. The idea is that I fly while boosting in them (forgot what it's called but it's that thing that makes you fly fast) and lead with light melee (so not the one that just kicks people away) and then mash both mouse buttons (no really I mean literally mash them and stuff happens) Once you make a combo which can be a maximum of... if I remember correctly 14-15 hits, you then fly boost towards your opponent after you knock him away and as he is flying around, you need to time your next set of strikes at just the right moment before he can retaliate and then again lead with light attack and mash the buttons like crazy. The only reason I actually managed 45 is because I managed to chain the most amount of combo hits multiple times and the guy I pulled it off was definitely not a saibamen. I think it was either Nappa or one of the Ginyus that I bullied into oblivion, don't quite remember...

Also I don't think it's a bug because they actually out different sounds in for your hits to make them sound more critical when you chain combos.

I don't hate stories that are not in the manga. I hate stories that try to fit into the manga continuity but fail. Most movies don't, I suppose Xenoverse doesn't neither. Plus it has Time Patrol theme, which was in DBO and interests me.
I think it's the same story as in DBO more or less, but with less grinding (because that was an MMO) but still with some grinding... because... bollocks.

Last edited:
NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's not the same story as DBO, just based on it. With Time Patrol thing, DBO characters and whatnot. Playing it right now. Pretty shitty game.

The Magic Booper
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I'm really surprised about all the negative feedback the game is getting here. I've played it for roughly 12 hours now and have really enjoyed it. In fact I might even go as far as saying it's the most fun I've gotten out of a Dragon Ball Z game to date (and yes I own and have completed Budokai 3 and Budokai Tenkaichi 3). The combat is pretty different and a little difficult to get used to, but once you get good at it there can be some pretty intense moments. I haven't had a problem in the way of combos (I think my highest is around 41 hits or so) and overall in the way of melee I really enjoy it. I think the super block that later characters have such as Beerus and Whis is really over powered though and can get quite annoying. I also agree that the fact you can block and ultimate and take very little damage is ridiculous too, but I haven't found this to be game breaking. The mission im stuck on currently involves fighting Beerus and Whis which is really difficult because of said super block, but so far this is the only gripe I have had about the actual story itself. I found it to be very entertaining, actually. Especially when you are first introduced to Beerus (wow I've mentioned him a lot). In all honesty I laughed when I saw Vegeta go Super Saiyan just to grab the pudding from Buu. However, I will admit that Toki Toki City is a little pointless and the fact that you can only get around by barely jogging makes it take too much time to navigate the area, but it's not THAT bad. Also, the multiplayer aspect of this game is incredibly fun! When it works anyway...

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Depends how high you set your bars for the game.

To me bot time and money are very precious, so the fact that this game is as expensive as it is and the fact that often times it wastes my time makes me judge it pretty hard. Also there is the I've played better than this (in my case it may not be a dagonball game, but the simple fact that I've played games that made me feel good about playing them, while this one doesn't, gives me plenty of reasons to be negative about it)

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I'm really surprised about all the negative feedback the game is getting here. I've played it for roughly 12 hours now and have really enjoyed it. In fact I might even go as far as saying it's the most fun I've gotten out of a Dragon Ball Z game to date (and yes I own and have completed Budokai 3 and Budokai Tenkaichi 3). The combat is pretty different and a little difficult to get used to, but once you get good at it there can be some pretty intense moments. I haven't had a problem in the way of combos (I think my highest is around 41 hits or so) and overall in the way of melee I really enjoy it. I think the super block that later characters have such as Beerus and Whis is really over powered though and can get quite annoying. I also agree that the fact you can block and ultimate and take very little damage is ridiculous too, but I haven't found this to be game breaking. The mission im stuck on currently involves fighting Beerus and Whis which is really difficult because of said super block, but so far this is the only gripe I have had about the actual story itself. I found it to be very entertaining, actually. Especially when you are first introduced to Beerus (wow I've mentioned him a lot). In all honesty I laughed when I saw Vegeta go Super Saiyan just to grab the pudding from Buu. However, I will admit that Toki Toki City is a little pointless and the fact that you can only get around by barely jogging makes it take too much time to navigate the area, but it's not THAT bad. Also, the multiplayer aspect of this game is incredibly fun! When it works anyway...
The single player of this game sucks.
I think i got to frieza's final form before using a trainer and just cheated my way to the end.
The game at times is just way too hard.
I couldn't touch frieza 100% (sidequest)
in the tankaichi's there was a way to hurt these,
in this game... not so much, he killed me within 20 seconds.

Other than that i put all attribute skills to 100 cause i could.

The only reason i'm still considering to boot the game is cause of the PQ's.
And only if my friends ask me to join in.

The gameplay is just so bad if you compare it to even tenkaichi 1 and 2.
I like it that they put so much effort in actually animating special scenes for the game though.

Also, for a next gen game, the visuals are BAD.
No anti aliasing, even if forced trough nvidia control panel it looks even worse.
I hope they'll make a next game and learn from this.

The Magic Booper
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
The single player of this game sucks.
I think i got to frieza's final form before using a trainer and just cheated my way to the end.
The game at times is just way too hard.
I couldn't touch frieza 100% (sidequest)
in the tankaichi's there was a way to hurt these,
in this game... not so much, he killed me within 20 seconds.

Other than that i put all attribute skills to 100 cause i could.

The only reason i'm still considering to boot the game is cause of the PQ's.
And only if my friends ask me to join in.

The gameplay is just so bad if you compare it to even tenkaichi 1 and 2.
I like it that they put so much effort in actually animating special scenes for the game though.

Also, for a next gen game, the visuals are BAD.
No anti aliasing, even if forced trough nvidia control panel it looks even worse.
I hope they'll make a next game and learn from this.
Really? Thats pretty strange. You must've boosted your attributes very differently than I did then. The only part I've really gotten overly frustrated on was the fight with Beerus and Whis, which I even managed to finish today after I took a step back and played a few PQ's for a while. When I fought Frieza in his 100% form in the sidequest (assuming we are talking about the same one) I didn't really have any trouble. I actually don't think my health even dropped below half. I wouldn't necessarily call it bad in comparison to the Tenkaichi series, its just really different. Yeah there are a few things that really could have been refined, I will give you that for sure. You are also right about the visuals. They aren't the greatest, but all things considered when you have a 3v3 I could see how all the crazy particle effects could make FPS evaporate on consoles. And I don't really see them going out of their way to make any special improvements to aesthetics like Shadow of Mordor has (with the HD texture pack) or GTA V will have. Which then again I guess you could then make an argument about the dedication of the developers, so I don't know. I've been thoroughly enjoying this game so far, and I can definitely see where some of your complaints are coming from. However I'm still not completely sure all of the hate is justified. You gotta remember Battle of Z was $50 (or at least it was for Vita), and it was downright terrible, so at least they are taking a step in the right direction.

Last edited:
Only go forward sideways
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Depends how high you set your bars for the game.

To me bot time and money are very precious, so the fact that this game is as expensive as it is and the fact that often times it wastes my time makes me judge it pretty hard. Also there is the I've played better than this (in my case it may not be a dagonball game, but the simple fact that I've played games that made me feel good about playing them, while this one doesn't, gives me plenty of reasons to be negative about it)
I've had more enjoyable combat and spectacle from The Legend of Korra. Seriously, the timing for blocks, variety of enemies with different skillsets and skill required to juggle all elements is awesome. Funnily enough it also pins you vs. multiple opponents too and does a much better job at it with only a soft lock-on and option for hard lock-on, granted you don't have the element of flying.

A steam reviewer summarized DBX quite nicely for me (I also like his vocabulary):
A quick "first-impressions" piece since I have no idea how people can give this game so many positive reviews.

First things first. Dragon Ball Xenoverse is supposed to be an MMO of sorts. Exactly how is something I have not yet learned, since I can't connect to the game's servers, and the only way to be able to play it is by starting Steam in offline mode, even just for the single-player campaign and local matches.

But that's just a minor problem in the grand scheme of things...

All game modes - campaign, versus, etc. are accessed through a hub world. You create your character (the customization options are quite nice, by the way) and walk very long distances to talk to a non-playable character just to play a simple versus match. This is absolutely ridiculous, one of the worst design choices I have ever seen. Why can't I just jump into a match from the main menu screen like in every other fighting game?

Well, I guess that might be because this... is not "really" a fighting game. It's more like a brawler. And boy, is the gameplay repetitive... Rush to your enemy, smash the two hand-to-hand combat buttons, finish the combination with a little special attack (which completely lacks the spectacle seen in Budokai 3, for instance), repeat. Or just spam throws and hope for the best.

Enemies in the campaign are glorified damage sponges that take a very long time to take down. In order to have the smallest of chances of beating the game, you must first grind your way to higher levels by completing redundant "parallel quests" - just a cute name for side battles that are not really part of the main story.

I wouldn't even bother with the campaign, since the plot is so lazy and uninspired, if not for the fact that you need to play it to unlock every character for versus mode. Yet another abysmal design decision.

On the bright side: it is a decent PC port, connectivity issues aside.

I'm a huge, huge Dragon Ball fan since the mid-nineties, so reading that Xenoverse was coming to PC was a dream come true, as the platform has been historically neglected by the franchise. It's just a shame that the game turned out to be such a disappointment.
The bar for this game and any DBZ game for me is Budokai 3. That game did so many things right, had so much content, skill-based combat and offered an incredible spectacle! I want to see a Fusion between Raging Blast 1/2 and Budokai 3. Now THAT I would pay money for! They should focus on getting a good new-gen DBZ game out before trying to make all this custom-character bullshit.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Well for me the bar was don't piss me off and waste my time. It pissed me off and wasted my time; look at that I am now back to playing SWTOR. Thank hell that one is free.

Last edited:
Super Cool Wicked Guy
🌠 Staff
Best answers
Yep RagingBlast 2 mixed with Budokai 3, that would be a real nice game :D

3D Animator and Rigger!!!
✔️ HL Verified
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
pretty disappointed. Since they got the Tenkaichi combat system, they haven't moved away from it. That's pretty sad for me. Visually its nice, could use some polish in certain areas, but yea I feel the combat is lacking for a next gen game. Its like playing on PS2 again. Not worth the money to me.

I'd rather would have liked for the Naruto combat system, thats fun and more complex then this.

Only go forward sideways
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Yep RagingBlast 2 mixed with Budokai 3, that would be a real nice game :D
Wolf said:
pretty disappointed. Since they got the Tenkaichi combat system, they haven't moved away from it. That's pretty sad for me. Visually its nice, could use some polish in certain areas, but yea I feel the combat is lacking for a next gen game. Its like playing on PS2 again. Not worth the money to me.
To be honest, with the technology today, I would expect to see a full Free Roam DBZ game. Budokai 3 story mode on crack, forget the loading screens and "dropping" into events. Hell, the technology has been there since the Red Faction Guerrilla game, all that destructible environment and huge open world should logically dictate that it's doable.... I think even the Unity engine can do it. But nooo, Namco wanted to build a brand new engine -_- . That's probably where the most development time went for DBX hence the poor design.

Last edited:
Super Cool Wicked Guy
🌠 Staff
Best answers
Well destrictible environment in a fast muliplayer game is allways a difficult task to do. Network sync, physic-mesh modifications all that can lead to some small micro lags. Those lags are not a so big problem in shooters as Battlefield but in a Fighter/brawler they are(much stricter to timings)

Only go forward sideways
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Well destrictible environment in a fast muliplayer game is allways a difficult task to do. Network sync, physic-mesh modifications all that can lead to some small micro lags. Those lags are not a so big problem in shooters as Battlefield but in a Fighter/brawler they are(much stricter to timings)
Oh yes of course, I was more talking about them focusing on an excellent PvE experience before trying to add all this multiplayer crap without a solid base behind it. Even so, 3v3 is nothing compared to the 32v32 Battlefield 4 matches with ridiculous levels of destruction, granted with much less particle effects required as it would in DBZ (I think).

Last edited:
YEA
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I've just got Qiqi, she's so cute~:yes: so there will be a question A18 and Qiqi who is the most beautiful one u guys think:scared:

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Cyborg 18 because she's not 12 and I don't enjoy the prospect of Jail or paedophilia.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
Its got nice graphics but the drop rate of items during PQ's is so painful.
Must be their idea of lengthening game time.... It took about 12 attempts on a PQ just to get ssj for my character. I do like the idea of having to kill krillin first during the battle so you can get the item. But sometimes goku wont even transform! and when he does its not a 100% guarantee that you will get the skill after!
You can also buy the skill if you want but you have to beat the future history timeline first.

Still haven't encountered my first dragonball yet!

Maybe its just me but since the frieza saga i've noticed health items are a must have during a fight! especially now where i'm against 3 majin buu's then 4 more after that with the same hp!

Best answers
Hated that buu mission sooo baad... Doing PQs for 5h fixed it tough XD

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom