DBZ Hair Tut

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I didn't think I should clog up the tutorials thread with a full tutorial instead of a link, but if it belongs there instead of the main part of the forum, could one you mods move it there?

In an effort to save myself the time and angst of extruding each indivudual clump of hair on my dbz models, I stumbled upon a way of modelling dbz hair faster and easier (that, or I'm just slow and everyone else has been doing it this way for years and laughing at me behind my back >_> )

1. Okay, so start off with the general shape of the form hair you're trying to get in. In my case it was Gohan, norm/SSJ hair, so I made a box, and then shaped it up so that there was plenty of mass and poofiness at the front (yes, I made up that word), and way less at the back.

[no pic. Sorry, forgot to save at that stage in the process >_>;
It looks like the pic in step 2 though, just less detailed]

2. As I wanted to avoid the trudgery of having to do a massive amount of extruding, I added a meshsmooth modifier to the shape. This way I'll only have to spend a couple of seconds pulling out the verts to get the general shape and placement of a hair spike.

3. There were way to many verts for me to work with easily though, so I pulled down some of the smoothness (which deleted random vertexes and reduced the shape, but for my purposes that was okay)
Then I collapsed the meshsmooth stack so that I could start working with the polies I had left.

4. I just started pushing and moving the polygons around some to get the spikes and general shape that I wanted. I had to use "cut" to slice in some polygons where there wasn't enough detail left from me turning down the smoothness of meshsmooth in some area's.

5. More work and kinda looking how I want it too. I've done a bit of extruding, simply because its faster or easier than cutting in polygons for me to pull. Can't just stick to one way of doing things sometimes.

6. Almost done now; The general mass reads as Gohan's hair (me thinks ^^ ), but the problem left now is that its too spiky! I went around the hair in Max's polygon mode and began using quickslice on the clumps of hair that I selected to make those extra edgeloops so I could make the hair droop some. Since I'd been working in mirror mode the whole time, I switched that off, combined both sides of the hair, and added some slight variations on both sides of the centerline.
And this is what I got at the end.

It helps if you have 3dsmax to do this so you can achieve the same or better results somewhat similar to how I did, but I'm 99 percent sure you can do this same stuff with any of the other major 3d packages (and no, milkshape isn't one of them >>; ), it'd just might take a little more effort to figure out somethings.

Suggestion: If you decide to use this tut, use your own favorite character, it doesn't have to be Gohan. It could be Goku, or Vegeta, or SSJ Trunks, or heck you own original character. That way you'll be able to figure out how to apply what you've learned to different situations. Believe me, you'll improve alot faster that way. It's all about taking initiative on your edumacation =P

Anyway, hope this tut helps, and have fun!

DMW

Best answers
heh thanks,useful,ill just alter it more to be my own.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
AFRO GOHAN!

Anyway, I like the method, but it seems too 'drafty' in my opinion. (i made that word up lawl, it means like, you draft, then finish up).

My method is to extrude the hair spikes, a number of times, then weld the lower edges to give the head depth.

Still, i'm glad that you found a new way to model.

Best answers
i like the end result, but i dont think this method is for me.
I'm still doing hair the old fashion way (not meaning hairstyle).

Creatnig cilinders placing them on the correct places, and connecting it all together.
Beginning modelers find it hard to keep the model clean with 'my' method but i guess everyone has a preference.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hmmm, i always did the head completly and used the tool to make the polygons spiky... but i truelly didnt get the thing of this tutorial but i gues this is just because of my knowledge in english.

the progress is nice but i think at the beginning you dont need that mass of polys and also would you be so kind and show the back of the head? Because i just want to see how the hair is connected to the head ;)

gj

Best answers

Why go any further?!

Release that as a ESF Model PLEASE!

Anyway , on topic , thats a big help. Thanks mon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom