Day of Defeat: Source

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I was thinking about buying this today, and was just curious about a few things, i.e. how it performs and if it is as good or as fun as CS Source. Anybody play it? I apparently have to pay for it...but before I do I want to find out how it is.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you pre-ordered half-life2 through steam you don't have to buy DoD:S, you'd just have to preload it which takes about 5 minutes.

And it's just like DoD but better graphics and that ****.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
I was thinking about buying this today, and was just curious about a few things, i.e. how it performs and if it is as good or as fun as CS Source. Anybody play it? I apparently have to pay for it...but before I do I want to find out how it is.
How can you compare Day of Defeat with Counter-Strike? 2 completely different games built on top of the Source Engine.

From what I hear about Day of Defeat: Source is that it is worth buying. I personally have not yet had the privilege of playing it so I am just as curious as you are.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've always found them similar. They're not different enough for me to not consider them distant cousins, at least. Plus from a technical standpoint they would run similarly.

What I remember about the old Day of Defeat was that there was chaos everywhere, and that really lent to the WWII feel. If it recreates that feeling well enough, but with added physics and functionality and immersion, I'll gladly buy it.

Does it have that 'Aim Down the Gunsight' thing a lot of WWII games are doing? I really like that feature.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
Does it have that 'Aim Down the Gunsight' thing a lot of WWII games are doing? I really like that feature.
Only for machine guns, and sniper rifles.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I personally love it. IMO it's much better than CS:S because the hitboxes aren't as much of an issue. There have been a few complaints about the "run-and-gun" ability of the assault class, but I personally don't see a problem in it.

It should run just about the same as CS:S. Though, even if it doesn't, you can turn down all the graphics to the lowest setting (like I have) and it still looks pretty good.

One feature I really love, is that there is no generic background noise anymore. All the gunfire you hear off in the distance is actual player gunfire.

I'd say get it. I'll play with you when you do \o/

Best answers
Only for machine guns, and sniper rifles.
I thought the added iron sights for every weapon in DoD Source? It was one of the few new features they've added since the original, and I swear I saw it in a gameplay video.
Another reason to buy it is the pretty HDR lighting :D
Supposedly Valves implementation of HDR isn't particularly rough on the graphics card, so you should be fine.

Best answers
dReAm KiLlEr said:
If you pre-ordered half-life2 through steam you don't have to buy DoD:S, you'd just have to preload it which takes about 5 minutes.

And it's just like DoD but better graphics and that ****.
are you 100% sure on that, if thats true who do i talk to if it is not available too me, because it doesn't show up as an available game to download, and it shows me having to buy it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Silver and Gold packages don't need to buy it. Anything else you probably do.

itr

✔️ HL Verified
🍂 Regular
Best answers
It doesn't run the same as CSS, it runs a bit slower with hdr on. But if you turn it off, it basically runs the same. I am glad they got rid of the long wait for the sniper scope to come visible again, that urked me badly in the last version on HL engine.

Best answers
Imo it's a good enough game to buy, it has iron sights and believe me it still has that feeling of "OMG RUN!! >:F" when your losing.....or winning..... I managed to get my friends 9600 to run hdr on full and it didn't lag all that much so you should be fine with that.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I enjoy the hell out of it when I'm not in the mood for WoW.

Mostly support myself. I just wish they had a larger selection of maps and things.

I miss Caen.

itr

✔️ HL Verified
🍂 Regular
Best answers
Arthos said:
I miss Caen.
As do I, I hope that is one of the first maps they add. :)

Best answers
Be warned though, from what I hear there aren't many maps in this initial release. You'll still get all the other maps eventually of course, but there might not be much choice to begin with.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't have it, though I want it. Played it at my friends house, and it's more realistic than ever. If you liked DoD, you'll love Source. Especially with the new HDR. Gives you a much more realistic feal.

Best answers
I played it for a while and its a pretty good game. It runs really nicely and is quite fast paced for a WWII shooter. The rag doll physics in it make it a good laugh at times but look really good when someone gets blown up lol. The gun recoil is the main prob i encountered it makes it near impossible to hit people sometimes.

Best answers
I love it. I play it more than CS. Actually, aside from WoW I haven't touched any other games.

If you don't buy it, prepair for an ass kickin from me.

Best answers
dont except 3.1......DoD source imo ruined the balance DoD used to have. Its still pretty fun tho, could use a few net code optimizations, other then that its a decently fast paced game. Expect rifleman upgrades next patch

Best answers
If you liked 1.0 you'll love Source. It's pretty damn fun, there aren't too many changes balence wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom