Dawn of War: Dark Crusade

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well the Demo came out today(on Fileplanet, and no I don't feel like linking it. And don't worry, everyone can get it.) nothing monumentally new, but the Tau seem to be an interesting race. Will be a good counterpart to the IG.. which I am eager to pit them against once the full product is in my hands. Just like TT, you have to get in close to kill them. At range they are... Monstrosities.

Honestly there's too little availiable in the demo to really tell the whole story, but it was probably meant to entice... and I sure as hell am enticed.

Any thoughts on this demo and the expansion itself?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yea the Tau are a cool race. they are a very young race and are very techniclogocly advanced. i like there little photon technology and their battle suits.

plus they have those monster things.

what are the Tau heroes?

Best answers
I just want to get my hands on the necrons, but with the tau losing so many of their good units, and them pitting you up against blood ravens best it is rather nasty lol.

Tho the sky raiders missle barrage is awesome!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yea. That was annoying. If only they would have given a skirmish mode XD.

Oh well... I think I'll probably end up sticking to IG, and Necrons come expansion. The Tau... I like them too. I'll play them too...

Best answers
Ok honestly I hate to burst into this thread like I'm trying to start an argument... but...

Dark Crusade?! I'm gonna be honest... I've cut the Warhammer series a lot of slack since it came out before Warcraft. But be realistic. Burning Crusade... then Dark Crusade. Isn't that way past coincidence?

And yes I have played Dawn of War. And yes I do think it's way too much like Warcraft 3. Even if it's more futuristic (sorta-kinda), there were way too many similarities for me to like it. I remember a unit that were almost exactly like Lurkers from SC... and they were named similair too.

And then there's the Warhammer Online. I'd bet money on this being a WoW clone at this point.
I guess what I'm trying to say is why doesn't the Warhammer crew come up with their own ideas as far as games go?

Best answers
Dark Crusade?! I'm gonna be honest... I've cut the Warhammer series a lot of slack since it came out before Warcraft. But be realistic. Burning Crusade... then Dark Crusade. Isn't that way past coincidence?
because you know the word crusade isn't common at all, especially since a lot of the warhammer universe is very religous.

And yes I have played Dawn of War. And yes I do think it's way too much like Warcraft 3. Even if it's more futuristic (sorta-kinda), there were way too many similarities for me to like it. I remember a unit that were almost exactly like Lurkers from SC... and they were named similair too.
War 3 and dawn of war aren't similar in any respect, plus no race is even somewhat zerglike(no playable race at least), so i have no idea what unit you are talking about. and what other similarities are you talking about? the games play COMPLETELY different, the only thing i can think of is they have orcs and humans, in which case warhammer has seniority on that front.

And then there's the Warhammer Online. I'd bet money on this being a WoW clone at this point.
I guess what I'm trying to say is why doesn't the Warhammer crew come up with their own ideas as far as games go?
MMO's are incredibly popular these days, and they were before WoW came out so i'm not surprised to see a warhammer mmo at all. ALso they have been trying to get a warhammer mmo out for quite a while but their first try failed. plus if they made it a WoW clone it would by extension, be an EQ clone since WoW had very little unique to it in the first place(gameplay wise that is).

anywho, this game looks pretty awesome, i'm not entirely interested in the tau or the necrons so i 'm hoping there'll be some good new orky stuff, to play it you just need the first DoW right? i lost one of the disks for the first expansion so i can't reinstall it on a new computer.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Tassadar said:

What the hell have you been playing?

Do YOU see Resource gathering and mass deforesting in DoW?

Squads instead of individual units? Meh, nevermind....

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, the resource system, squad system, and hero system are quite different from each other in WC3 and DoW. While WC3 encouraged you to go out with your units to level your hero, DoW made it impossible to do anything other than go out and cap stuff. The two games are nothing alike.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
warhammer orks > warcraft orcs.

for the simple reason that while warcraft orcs have females, and breed etc. warhammer orks reproduce via spores released from their flesh during battle. warhammer orks can never be wiped out.

on top of which, as stated, the games are absolutely nothing alike. if you read any of the fluff which comes with the warhammer series, youll also notice that there are a lot of characters and references "borrowed" in the warcraft lore books.

lets face it though, this argument is just stupid, since both gamers originally came from dungeons and dragons, much like every other fantasy game out there. each game has its fans, and its fanboys, and its haters. so just cut the crap.

enjoy the game or not, thats your choice. but try not to make stupid comparrisons.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i like the warhammer 40k orks :O

cus they are raw :O

and dont the orks spawn underground or something.

i do kind of like the warhammer clan/tribe names they made up. but the warcraft ones are more dramatic :O

Best answers
dude, before 40k came out, i read in pc gamer, that if orcs were in a battle that they were winning or somthing, that they would automatically get recources or more orcs show up, when i played, none of this happend... it was just like any of the other 3 races.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ok. just gonna say this once.

I DON'T want to lock my own thread.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Dirty said:
dude, before 40k came out, i read in pc gamer, that if orcs were in a battle that they were winning or somthing, that they would automatically get recources or more orcs show up, when i played, none of this happend... it was just like any of the other 3 races.

playing as marines, chaos, eldar, guard, goes like this:

build units, go get resources, use resources to build more units etc. also build structures to increase your unit cap.

orks go like this:

the more orks you got, the more orks your allowed.

if any are, then orks are the swarm army, the bigger your army grows the bigger units and upgrades your allowed, based purely on you army size, rather than structures etc.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Off topic. Seriously.. that sig scares the **** out of me.

Best answers
noooo my greenskin brothers!! there will be vengance.

Best answers
what are you talking about!?!?!!? orks get recources from wagg or warrg banners <_<...explain that.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Too bad the orcs in-game don't come in neat little waves like that. You'll mow down a few, but with three lascannon blasts needed to down an orc (ha!), you'll be drowning in a sea of green in no time.

Off topic. Seriously.. that sig scares the **** out of me.
I've got it adblocked because it was just too weird. Anything at all annoying just gets 'blocked.

Best answers
It really depends if the heavy gunners are set up correctly, with the proper fire support as only imperial guard needs, then the ork wouldn't be able to advance.

Unless they sent the big mek that way, then they could advance haha.
The units that ign didn't show ya.

Orks:http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=12700&type=wmv&pl=game
Chaos Marines:http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=12631&type=wmv&pl=game
Blood Ravens:http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=12361&type=wmv&pl=game
As for the eldar, i have yet to see theirs, but the imperial guards is the heavy weapons.

Grr moment.

Best answers
Dirty said:
what are you talking about!?!?!!? orks get recources from wagg or warrg banners <_<...explain that.
waaaghh banners allow more max orcs, more ork = more waaaghh which means better upgrades.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom