dark monitor...

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Okay, i just about had it with this thing... this monitor is 8... 9 years old >_> but thats not really the problem (i dont think) Problem is, whenever i enter a 3d game, it turns everything really dark =\ i used to be able to bypass this by alt tabbing and I'd scroll through programs back to whatever game it is im playing. However, this doesnt work with hl2 or its mods =\ and i'd really like to play it, without being in the pitch black >_>. Before you ask, yes, ive adjusted the gama as much as i can I've done it on my desktop colours too, but that doesnt seem to effect the games. I'm using Radeon Omega drivers and ive tried various things to try to get it to stop doing this but im baffled to what i can do =\. Any help would be rather handy.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Haha, I remember that happening with my ATi card. I think you've got to change game brightness/gamma settings in the ATi control panel. I've completely forgotten my way around it, though, so just look for it. That's how I solved it, though.

Best answers
Well, before I begin, please reply in a more specific manner... Firstly, what driver version are you running? And, try to list everything that you have tried in order to solve this. If thats it, then.. well, ignore that last part ;P
--
Like Smith there said, try to adjust driver settings. If that doesnt work, attempt to convert to the Catalyst Control Panel package, and see if modifying/using that driver yields results.

Next, (although Im assuming youve already tried this), try to change brightness settings on the actual monitor itself.

If brightness in Windows is good, and it just turns black when running games, Im speculating that it does have to do with drivers, or something about games that triggers the reaction - OpenGL or Direct 3D or some other thing along those lines. Try to see if you can dig deeper into that, and see if it works. I know for a fact HL2 doesnt use OpenGL, see if the other games its been giving you problems have been.

Also, while changing drivers may not work, updating them might. Have you?
--
Last but not least... Nine years is a long time for a monitor ;O I would personally buy a new one. A good place for computers overall is ibuypower.com; another good site that Im sure you know of is newegg.com. These things can get expensive though, but if you've got a system that can run HL2... Get a new monitor ;P

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom