Damaged Notebook Case Fan.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I know this much so far. The fan is putting out lower than normal output. It's still acceptable except in extreme situations, but will eventually give out and fail. When this happens I could easily overheat and permanently damage and/or destroy the machine and it's functionality.

It's in a 3 year old+ Dell Inspiron 9100.

The Fan is an odd design. It appears to be mounted inside a device that contains a microphone and headphone jack on the side with a special connector. I have not been able to find an exact duplicate of the overall device, but I have deduced that further examination will reveal that i would need to dismantle it. It is also a Magnetic Levitation fan from Sunon. I believe that if I figure out how to dismantle the casing, I can just find another fan of the same size and such and merely order and replace it. Unfortunately I cannot find my specifications and find the correct size.

Simple. Any and all helpful ideas. I doubt full system specifications will be required. I believe I have plenty of time before the fan eventually gives out.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I would contact the manufacturer of your laptop for details of the fan you wish to replace so you know what to get.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
I've personally never owned a dell in my life, but when my ACER Extensa's 2300 fan shat itself, I just took it to the nearest Acer dealer, and got it fixed that day, (Mind you a fortune later...).
Did you get, like a booklet which shows you step by step on how to dismantle the laptop? (Mine did! Thank god!).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've taken it apart several times. The Fans(specifically the one in question,) are easily removed.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
/facepalm

Damnit. I know I'm double posting. I did more research and I found out more information on the part I need to replace.

M1306
Description: Fan, Second (includes audio chipset/jacks/soundcard), Bottom

having difficulty even finding a replacement. So far I've only found refurbished ones from EZsystems.com. 5 of them. 100 bucks a piece. Outside of my budget by a longshot. Anyone have any ideas? Why did a rare part have to break. Damnit. Just to spit in my face as It slowly dies.

EDIT: OOO! $35 bucks on Ebay. Great!
EDIT: Sent an email to the store selling the part highlighting concerns about compatability.

Best answers
WTF? 100 dollars for a Fan? Yeah, even 35 is way too much.... how rare of a part is it?

And, have you ever considered buying an old junk Dell Inspiron 9100? I know it sounds like a stupid idea, but if you bought a crappy 9100 on Ebay for like $100 or so, you could use the parts in the junk one to keep yours running.

Kinda like what im doing. Im buying a second 96' Chevy Beretta to keep mine running, ya kno, for spare parts.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Depends on where he is, 35 bucks here in Australia isnt that much really.
Just keep an eye on ebay something is bound to hit you in the face eventually :p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Epilogue: With no other options I was forced to purchase a replacement from this refurbishing company. It is currently installed and running fine. I will need to stress test the system to see how it works.

Good news though. The Headphone jack on the side of the module(very strange unit) functions properly and it's definitely compatible with the soundcard, so overall, I am pleased.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom