Curses be!(Guitar Discussion inside!)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wolf Devil said:
What're some good, easy rock songs?
Depends on your definition of easy... maybe try some ACDC.

Best answers
By whom?

And if possible, easy songs by Metallica, Megadeth, Mudvayne, Disturbed, Slipknot, etc...

Also, any help on how to pick with a pick? Properly? And how to adjust to finding the right string?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just practice with the pick till you get used to it. That's what I did when I first started using a pick. I use really thin Dunlop picks or medium because I can pick faster and palm mute powerchords faster with a thin or medium but using hard picks can also prevent from hearing the picking noise when you pick a string. Heh

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
@WD: try Enter Sandman and Master of Puppets. Both have some easy intros, and you can slowly work your way into the songs as your skill allows. Also, the intros for Sweating Bullets (the remastered one, I believe) and Return to Hangar are quite easy for a beginner. Those were the first songs I tackled. And yes, Smoke on the Water. Thats most peoples first riff. Just start slow and keep at it. The best way to play something well, I find, is to play it slowly and properly, otherwise youre just going to have to relearn it after you realize you sounds like ****.

Does anybody know of some good Opeth songs to play? The intro to Tornado of Souls is probably the hardest thing I can play, some something around that level or above.

Best answers
Smoke on the Water is one of my favorite songs ever, and if your still wondering Wolf Devil, its by the band "Deep Purple".

Oh and dont ever call me Wiskey okay? Just call me SECURITY, and that goes for everyone.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The intro to Tornado of Souls is probably the hardest thing I can play, some something around that level or above.
My last band covered that. With only one guitar player. I played and sang it at the same time. Was a real *****, heh.

Master of Puppets is not an easy song to play unless you are playing it wrong, so don't even try that. Everybody always omits that F note in the second intro riff.

Iron Man, Smoke on the Water, and Paranoid are really good and easy to learn. There is a part in Iron Man that will teach you to stretch your fingers really well, but even if you can't get that the rest of it is easy.

Always be in tune. I know many people who tried to learn guitar but didn't know how to be in tune and as such it held them back MASSIVELY and for great deals of time. Get an electronic tuner and keep it in tune as often as you can.

Remember the Four Fret Fingering Theory and you should be fine; all it really says is that in any given position where you are holding a note, you should be holding it with a finger that will allow your other three fingers to reach other notes in the riff naturally and easily. Once you understand this concept it will greatly help you in learning new songs. All guitar players eventually happen to fall into it naturally once they get good enough.

It is also generally a very good practice to learn riffs slowly; play them much slower then their natural speed, and gradually as you get better at it, you can inch up to the proper speed. Your hands will get used to the motions and you will be able to make them much more quickly as time goes on. Eventually you will be so used to the motions of so many riffs that they will come as second nature, and then you can piece together your own improvisations off your ass; at that point you'll start to learn about what sounds good together by ear.

As for holding the pick, just keep in mind that it is probably best to hold it with your thumb and forefinger tips directly in its center. Strum and pick with motions from your wrist, not your forearm; using your forearm will make you tired easily even if you are a seasoned player. Your forearm should rest casually for most lighter riffs; your wrist and thumb joints will do most of the work. Only in very light cases with strummed acoustic chords is it more wise to use your whole arm in the strumming pattern.

Remember to try not to hit too hard on the strings when you use the pick. She's a lady; she'll sing if you ask, but not if you push her too hard.

You pretty much always want to pick up a guitar by the area of the neck where it meets the body; other places put a lot of stress on the instrument.

Always put it away when you're done; don't lean it face down on anything, under any circumstances, and try to use a stand for it at all times if it isn't going in the case.

When you first change your strings, once they're good and tight, give them a light tug underneath (where your pickups or sound hole are at). This will stretch them slightly and give them some give, which will severely reduce the time it takes for them to get settled into a point where they will stay in tune. It also reduces tension and tends to make them last longer, in my experience.

There's tons more, I'll add some more tips later.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
hmm i love play after my mood... well Playing like you fell like.. sometimes i just start to play as fast as i can, sometimes i sing and play songs about love and all this stuff

i´ve been playing since im 12 i gues.. so 3 years now... its pretty fun to play songs where you have always after changing acord play a bass and then change to another acord with some nice tone effects... pretty fun... even if you have a good voice or even if you play with some friends you flipp out... very nice :) i love the guitar..

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
Everybody always omits that F note in the second intro riff.
speak for yourself :p

Remember the Four Fret Fingering Theory and you should be fine; all it really says is that in any given position where you are holding a note, you should be holding it with a finger that will allow your other three fingers to reach other notes in the riff naturally and easily. Once you understand this concept it will greatly help you in learning new songs. All guitar players eventually happen to fall into it naturally once they get good enough.

It is also generally a very good practice to learn riffs slowly; play them much slower then their natural speed, and gradually as you get better at it, you can inch up to the proper speed. Your hands will get used to the motions and you will be able to make them much more quickly as time goes on. Eventually you will be so used to the motions of so many riffs that they will come as second nature, and then you can piece together your own improvisations off your ass; at that point you'll start to learn about what sounds good together by ear.
Also, get yourself a metronome, and learn to use it.

get troy stetina's books on rythm guitar, and lead guitar. read them, and use the exercises properly. in the speed mechanics book (designed for players who've finished all the others) it teaches some awsome techniques, and some warmup tracks like flight of the bumblebee =]

Best answers
And what is the Four Fret Finger Theory? (say that 5 times fast :p)

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Smoke one the water, and Cat scratch fever are probably in my mind the easiest songs to play. That and this one greed day song I know that I just can't remember the name right now.

Also he explains what the four fret finger theory is in his post. But I suggest doing what you feel is comfortable for now. Which will sound crazy because playing certain chords (the f chord was a ***** the first time i learned it) will hurt/ not sound right/will hurt.

Oh here is a tip: Don't press on the strings too hard. Pressing too hard can create an odd sound. Still sounds like a guitar, obviously, but ... do this, press on the g note or something regularly, and strike the string, then press down really really hard and strike it again, or **** don't strike at all, you'll notice a huge difference. I had a tendancy to do that when i started out. Anyone else do that? <.< >.> I hope i'm not the only one.

Best answers
At the moment I do have a variety of pressures put onto the strings...

When I first started I would either put too much pressure or not enough. And I still tend to do it when I'm playing slow. But if I speed up a bit, I can usually get it to sound decent...

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Once the weaker fingers strengthen up and get used to fingers being in certain positions you'll be fine.

Pain Redefined is one of my favorite rhythem guitars to play :D I love overburden, forgiven, and Stricken's guitar solos too. Problem is: my guitar is more built for lead guitar, so playing most of Disturbed songs don't sound right unless the gain is way up.

<.< Yeah I love Disturbed.

::edit::

Just curious to those of you who are guitar players out there. Do you change up a song to your liking? Like for example say you like to play Van Halen's "Eruption" do you play it exactly as is? Or do you change it a little or twist it a bit to make it sound better (in your opinion)?

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
My last band covered that. With only one guitar player. I played and sang it at the same time. Was a real *****, heh.

Master of Puppets is not an easy song to play unless you are playing it wrong, so don't even try that. Everybody always omits that F note in the second intro riff.

Iron Man, Smoke on the Water, and Paranoid are really good and easy to learn. There is a part in Iron Man that will teach you to stretch your fingers really well, but even if you can't get that the rest of it is easy.

Always be in tune. I know many people who tried to learn guitar but didn't know how to be in tune and as such it held them back MASSIVELY and for great deals of time. Get an electronic tuner and keep it in tune as often as you can.

As for holding the pick, just keep in mind that it is probably best to hold it with your thumb and forefinger tips directly in its center. Strum and pick with motions from your wrist, not your forearm; using your forearm will make you tired easily even if you are a seasoned player. Your forearm should rest casually for most lighter riffs; your wrist and thumb joints will do most of the work. Only in very light cases with strummed acoustic chords is it more wise to use your whole arm in the strumming pattern.

Remember to try not to hit too hard on the strings when you use the pick. She's a lady; she'll sing if you ask, but not if you push her too hard.

You pretty much always want to pick up a guitar by the area of the neck where it meets the body; other places put a lot of stress on the instrument.

Always put it away when you're done; don't lean it face down on anything, under any circumstances, and try to use a stand for it at all times if it isn't going in the case.

When you first change your strings, once they're good and tight, give them a light tug underneath (where your pickups or sound hole are at). This will stretch them slightly and give them some give, which will severely reduce the time it takes for them to get settled into a point where they will stay in tune. It also reduces tension and tends to make them last longer, in my experience.

There's tons more, I'll add some more tips later.
This man is correct :O

Also, I'm learning how to play slide guitar..bought me a bottleneck a few days ago..and I've got to say SON OF A ***** it's like learning to play guitar all over again..

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
slide guitar is so harsh, but if its done right its awsome o/

i dunno how to put this in any form of subtlety, so im just gonna say it. anyone who rates the guitar work in disturbed, is either a nublet of a guitarrist, or someone who thinks hes awsome but actually cant play for balls >_>

if you want to learn to be a good rythm guitarrist, get out a metronome, and practice your crotchets, quavors, semi-quavors, triplets, sixths, and the quavor-semi-semi rythm style.

then learn to play "battery" by metallica.

if you want to play lead guitar, pick up stetina's "heavy metal lead guitar primer", despite the name, the book is awsome for just general theory and practical exercises. if you use that, youll be playing awsome solo's in your own style in no time!

then go and listen to a joe satriani album and realise you will never ever be that good :p

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just curious to those of you who are guitar players out there. Do you change up a song to your liking? Like for example say you like to play Van Halen's "Eruption" do you play it exactly as is? Or do you change it a little or twist it a bit to make it sound better (in your opinion)?
ive done this with every song ive ever learned, well most of them, but its really obvious how much i changed it on Summer Song, Eruption, Cliffs of Dover, and Mr. Crowley

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i dunno how to put this in any form of subtlety, so im just gonna say it. anyone who rates the guitar work in disturbed, is either a nublet of a guitarrist, or someone who thinks hes awsome but actually cant play for balls >_>
Things like this are why I don't like to talk to other musicians. In the end someone always starts up with this sort of thing. Just because things aren't hard, doesn't mean they aren't fun to play.

The most important advice you'll ever get, is to learn at your own pace. Reading books doesn't make you a guitar player, playing guitar makes you a guitar player. Reading books is more of a supplement, to transcend those initial beginner's levels. Music theory is not going to be of much use, for example, to somebody who idolizes Rancid or the Sex Pistols. Early on, those books tend to be scary, complex, and give the illusion that the world's best guitar players must all know all of that stuff. Fact is 9/10 of guitar players don't know what a harmonic minor fifth in C sharp is; but they will understand it in musical context. Many of the best guitar players I know barely know the names or principles behind some of their most advanced techniques.

I guess what I'm saying is...maybe you should wait until you can hold the pick before trying to learn music theory. Hehe.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i never said it wasnt fun, i was just saying that its not good, and if your not playing challenging music, you will never improve.

simple as that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom