cstrike.exe resides in memory

Best answers
okay....whenever I play CS/NS/ESF/whatever mod when I stop playing it still resides in memory....I don't know it happened but most likely its that I set it to be compatible with Win 98/ Me

And if I set it to anything else cstrike.exe freezes at random times

BTW,CPU stats....could help

256 MB DDR RAM
Win XP SP1 installed
CS Retail
30 GB HDD Maxtor

Im really sick of going into the Task Manager and manually ending cstrike.exe....it gets annoying....

and if you people think about saying getting SP2,it doesn't have internet.'nuff said.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
CStrike.exe can run in WinXP native mode, you risk having all the 98 fun bugs, like abnormal termination, when you run it in compatability mode. I run HL in XP, with 256MB DDR, service pack 1 installed without this error, but I don't run it in compatability mode.

Best answers
but here is the problem,it randomly crashes whenever I play in native mode,so sadly setting it only to Win 98 compatibilty will stop these crashes,and leaves it running in memory.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, If it doesn't work well in native mode, then you might not have all of your critical updates for windows. try downloading what Cuc specified and try it then, if not, then i have nothing else for ya.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You probably have a faulty RAM module above the 128 MB limit Win98 is chained to. Try removeing the other ram modules and rotating them around untill you have the bad one. Then replace it. I had the same problem, a bad Dual Channel DDR kept causing read write errors in memory.

Best answers
meh forget it,I got the critical updates because I didn't have internet at the time on the other pc,seems fixed now

thanks for the help though

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom