Creating One's Own Server (Game)

Best answers
I wanted to know it if was possible to create an internet game that others could join (both in ESF 1.2.3 and 1.3).

I'm trying to create a game that my friend can join, but since he's playing from his house I can't justify creating a LAN game. Problem is, even though I'm not clicking the box that says "LAN Game" when I use "Create Server" in the game client, my friend can never find/join my game. I can never find or join any of his created games either.

Thanks in advance.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Application Start End Protocol IP Address Enable

Steam 27000 to 2701 UPD 192.168.1._ X
Steam 1200 to 1250 UPD 192.168.1._ X
Steam 27020 to 2705 TCP 192.168.1._ X
I have this in my router and my friend can join in land and online

Best answers
Yep

Yep, I have a router... do I need to do the port forwarding thing that I saw in the Servers section?

I went to the website that was given to me and where you have Steam followed by the ports, it has HalfLife1, HalfLife2, and HalfLife3. Not sure why there are differences.

Also, you never mentioned anything about needing a static IP address, but I saw that on the other thread -- do I need to set up a static IP address if I have a router?

Thanks.

Last edited:

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yep, I have a router... do I need to do the port forwarding thing that I saw in the Servers section?

I went to the website that was given to me and where you have Steam followed by the ports, it has HalfLife1, HalfLife2, and HalfLife3. Not sure why there are differences.

Also, you never mentioned anything about needing a static IP address, but I saw that on the other thread -- do I need to set up a static IP address if I have a router?

Thanks.
That's because you don't need a static IP address. The ports are the same regardless of whether you have a static or dynamic IP address.

Best answers
Thanks

Perfect, thanks for the quick response.

Edit: Well I tried all of these things... port forwarding, static IP address, etc. and my friend still cannot see my game server in the server list or connect to it using "connect ip" from console.

Meh.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You need to forward it to your own pc.

go to run and type "cmd"
Once in the dos prompt type "ipconfig" write down the Ip-adress you'll see
Now open up the ports you want in to open and forward them to the ip adress you wrote down.

One thing you can check with having dynamic ip's is your lease time of your routers dhcp. you can lengthen(sp?) these to make them "static" as well

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers

Thanks.
About the static ip address, you have to create one because the dinamic ip address always change the ip of your router... That how I could forward mine!

The halflife1, halflife2 and halflife3 are examples but you dont have to create a custom server of every single of them, you only have to choose the service in the list of your router (in your case half life steam) and add the ports on the list below.
1200;1200;TCP/UDP;1200;1200
27000;27015;TCP/UDP;27000;27015
27020;27039/TCP/UDP;27020;27039

Then save/apply and its done!

Best answers
Hm.

Thanks for all of the replies guys. I tried everything listed here in the following order:

• Set up a static IP address and wrote it down
  • Looked up my router and half life steam in the list on the website that you provided
  • Forwarded all of the correct ports to half life steam
  • Saved my settings
After all that, my friend still can't see or join any Internet games that I make. Maybe there's something else that I'm missing.

Oh well, thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom