Creating a DBZ Aura in 3DSMax: Any Methods, plugins or Tutorials (vid, not game)

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hey, I've been trying forever to create a true-to-show DBZ aura in 3DSMax (I have version 7) and though I have a small method, its not especially realistic or render-friendly. I want to make it just like in DBZ, of course having a cavity in the middle like a real aura. This is for video, so it should be as good quality as possible.

I'd prefer it weren't geometry, but if it looks good I'll take what I can get. Sprites are nice as long as they work in most/all views. If its an effect from a plugin (freeware or bought and paid for, it doesn't matter; I already use ChaosPhoenix) that's cool as well. I just want to get something that can b identified as a DBZ aura.

If you know any methods for this, have a tutorial, a prebuilt sprite or know a plugin that will wok well for this, please share it! Anything I use it in, I will credit you as "assistant efects design".

I look forwad to seeing your ideas!:)

Best answers
i dont know how good the particle system from max is but iam sure you can create a good one with it just dont ask me how lol ^^

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
create 2 planes, place em crosswards to eachother, create an aura animation, load those onto the planes

Best answers
If you want it to be like the show it pretty much has to be drawn unless your a max programmer. To do so create planes with various types of aura emissions and set an alpha with them to set anything that needs to be transparent as such. Afterwards assign a particle emitter with the planes and adjust them appropriately, it's tough but it'll get you your effect in an 'animation' type scenario.

If you're doing it for a gaming reason you'll have to study the engine and figure out that way.

Best answers
other way would be just make a liddle script that your model works like a emitter and select the polys where the particle should spawn :D
in c4d pretty simple but dont know with max ^^

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hey, I'm trying to put together a sprite for this thing, but I've always had trouble with the "Look at" controller. Is there a way ti make it follow the camera only along the "z" rotation and ignore the other axis of rotation? It annoys me when it tries to follow the camera indefinitely. If someone can answer that, I can give you a glimpse at what I've got.

Best answers
If you were doing a high poly version of DBZ for CG film, Id use a Particle emitter. But that is alot more difficult to explain here then other peoples ideas :p So yeah I suggest you study up :yes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom