Crazy weather...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If Global Warming is happening how come its getting record cold temps? hmmmm?
Well it's like this: When the temperature rises because of global warming, it causes the water to evaporate faster, therefore, obviously more water evaporates. The more water evaporates, the more it condenses in the clouds. When steam condenses, it cools, and therefore, creates cold. When that cold reaches the ground via rain, mist, snow, ice etc. it cools down the ground. It doesn't even have to rain or snow, be misty or anything like that. Because cold air is heavy, and therefore it 'falls' to the ground, while the air down here, which is hot because of global warming, is light, it goes into atmosphere, being replaced by cold air from above. That's how. And that hot air which went into the atmosphere cools again and the cycle repeats itself again and again and again etc.

Best answers
My thread is going to get closed :(

Well it's like this: When the temperature rises because of global warming, it causes the water to evaporate faster, therefore, obviously more water evaporates. The more water evaporates, the more it condenses in the clouds. When steam condenses, it cools, and therefore, creates cold. When that cold reaches the ground via rain, mist, snow, ice etc. it cools down the ground. It doesn't even have to rain or snow, be misty or anything like that. Because cold air is heavy, and therefore it 'falls' to the ground, while the air down here, which is hot because of global warming, is light, it goes into atmosphere, being replaced by cold air from above. That's how. And that hot air which went into the atmosphere cools again and the cycle repeats itself again and again and again etc.
No.... its not at all like that Dan. Nice theory though.

Its like someone else already said. The melting of the Ice sheets at the poles causes cold water to pour into the global oceanic water currents, cooling them also. This in turn causes cooler temperatures and all around messed up weather across the earth.

Simply put, in order for the earth to get warmer... it must first melt the ice caps... which means it has to get cold first.

Im not positive if thats how it works... but thats how i heard it.

Uhh... back on-topic, yea.. .we had no school again yesterday cuz of the windchill.

We had to go to school today, but damn.... it sucked ass standing out at that bus-stop. (No, i still dont have my license yet)

Best answers
im in wellington new zealand and for the last couple of days i have come home completely soaked in sweat along with the rest of the city i cant remember it ever being this hot around here before its kind of scary

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

Its like someone else already said. The melting of the Ice sheets at the poles causes cold water to pour into the global oceanic water currents, cooling them also. This in turn causes cooler temperatures and all around messed up weather across the earth.

Simply put, in order for the earth to get warmer... it must first melt the ice caps... which means it has to get cold first.

Uhh... back on-topic, yea.. .we had no school again yesterday cuz of the windchill.

We had to go to school today, but damn.... it sucked ass standing out at that bus-stop. (No, i still dont have my license yet)

Hmm...with that mentality, that would result in the Earth getting colder, but not until the whole shibang melts. Eventually, it would become cold enough for what remains of the caps to stay frozen, meaning temperatures would be nearly equalized globally, putting us into a new ice-age.

Thnakfully tho, it's only the edges of the caps which are actually melting at all. The inner core of the caps are actually getting colder and denser, so we should generally be fine.

Best answers
Idk... im not gonna worry about global warming. I got bigger things to worry about than this.

When the time comes, i'll worry about global warming... but til then, im not gonna sweat it.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't really like the idea of procrastinating dealing with a problem until it becomes more blatant =/. Though I am a bigass hypocrite when it comes to homework, there can still be steps taken to better our waste production.

I don't see Global Warming in the literal sense, I just think it would create more extreme weather conditions, hot and cold. I think people should watch the Day After Tomorrow. No it's not by biggest bestested super resource, it's just a good movie =D. It's basically an exaggeration to what a extreme climate change could bring about.

Best answers
Look, my main example of hasty action is the Kyoto Protocol. The program would cost billions if not trillions of dollars from the majority of the planet to the ends of (projectively) cooling the overall planet by THREE-HUNDREDTHS (as in 0.03) OF A DEGREE...IN A HUNDRED YEARS...

Okay, I get signing emissions treaties and such, but by God, if there was ever a hasty under-thought idea, it was Kyoto.

The main thing I really take issue with is that a lot of environmentalists become something just short of extremist. The point is, their intentions are good, but the majority just don't know what they're talking about. That's a disastrous recipe folks. Good intentions mean nothing if the good-deed-do'er doesn't know a temperature graph from his *******, which as Tassadar pointed out, is far too often the case. My concern is those people who may take the situation to terrorist extents in order to "save the planet".
Well, it's not like the money would magicly dissapear, you just as well turn that statement around and say that it would give millions of people jobs cleaning up the earth... Sending it to Saudian oil barons to buy more and more oil would be worse.

Besides, even if global warming doesn't exist, wouldn't it be nice if we would spend less time jammed in traffic, blazing fumes of vermin up in our air? Wouldn't it be nice we could go out every day not worried about smog clogging up our lungs? Wouldn't it be nice if we'd burn through our oil supplies a bit less fast (actually, I wouldn't mind that, it would hasten the search for alternative less wasteful energy).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

Well that too, although my theory is correct as well, it just might not be the main reason of the **** that is happening. But back on topic, I'm not really worried about it. I live in a continental country with no volcanoes, so I'm kinda immune to natural disasters, except for earthquakes of course xD. Tsunami's and hurricanes are out of the question here. It's you guys that live on the shore that are gonna bite it. I feel sorry for you :(. Although I don't see it happening any time soon, maybe in like 40 years or so xD.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Besides, even if global warming doesn't exist, wouldn't it be nice if we would spend less time jammed in traffic, blazing fumes of vermin up in our air? Wouldn't it be nice we could go out every day not worried about smog clogging up our lungs? Wouldn't it be nice if we'd burn through our oil supplies a bit less fast (actually, I wouldn't mind that, it would hasten the search for alternative less wasteful energy).
Hell yes, what sort of question is that? I never said I was against contracts, treaties and new regulations to control and reduce emmissions. By God, the day we all start driving hydrogen cars will be a historical landmark in the "Green Movement". I can't wait till we're forced to quit fossil fuels entirely. I'm tired of the oil companies pinching our pennies (I drive, and I pay for my gas. I know what it does to my pocket-book) since they want to grab all they can before they're officially obsolete. I want to see the super-efficient hydrogen cars exaust water into the air and clean our highways as opposed to creating a massive heat-trap in our valley (I live East of LA, and because of costal winds, their pollutants become OUR problem, and since we live in an enclosed valley, it scarcely escapes until it rains or we get some serious Santa-Anna winds going).

But my problem is strictly with the irrational panic generated over the idea of global warming. Half the environmental activists out there barely know their stuff, and just jump on the environmental band-wagon chanting "down with industry now! Stop all use of fossil fuels and pollutant processes!".

This is all well and good, if you A: are an ignorant idiot, or B: get a boner off the idea of millions dying of lack of heating, civilized and sanitary living standards and using horses to get around (which, by the way, would still be polluting, since everyone would need a horse, and horses "exhaust" plenty of methane, another super-greenhouse gas, daily).

And then there's that chance, like I mentioned, of these same fools feeling we're going so slowly in changing our ways that they generate terrorist grade false-disasters to urge the world to act faster on fighting global warming. I mean things like artificially calving off a huge iceberg, or setting massive forest fires in the hopes of getting the world's attention. Call it paranoia, but there are people likely quite willing to do these things and more! Willing to sacrifice hundreds, maybe thousands of human lives in order to meet the ends they so foolishly desire! You see the danger in this? Not in global warming itself, but in the ignorance over it!

Best answers
I somewhat agree with you there. It seems like our efforts in reducing polution are going in all the inefficient but popular directions. I'm sick and tired of the promotion of solar panels and wind mills that barely even produce more energy in their lifetime than was needed to build them and require backup conventional energy anyways, while we barely support research in nuclear fusion energy, because it sounds so evil.

However, we might have to realize that we can't support are wasteful and poluting life style much longer. I'm not saying that we should go back driving horses or something, but we might realize that we don't have to live 2 hours from where we work, that we don't need electricity to dry our clothes and that we can take a bike to travel small distances. However, that might all just happen once oil gets more and more expensive.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Extremists on an issue have always been, and will always be far and few between. J-Dude, the major problem I have had with your criticism of global warming, is you rely on the actuality of phenomenon that you have only shown to be possible. Any sceptic can come up with any negatives for any scenario, but it's not enough to defeat an argument in and of itself

Best answers
-20 is nothing, try -30 with a cold wind. I couldnt stand outside longer than 5 minutes...

Best answers
While what someone said earlier about the solar years is true, humans have had a catalysing effect in the climate change.

The amount of greenhouse gases we release in to the atmosphere causes earth to absorb more heat from the sun, thus warming the climate.

Because the climate is getting warmer, it is slowly melting the glaciers and some iced swamps in Russia. The oceans are also vaporizing at a faster rate, causing increasing amounts of water vapours to release in to the air, enhancing global warming even further.

The swamps containt vast amounts of methane, so when the swamps melt, they release even more gases which further enhance the effect.

Basically the global warming is feeding off itself, the more the climate warms, the more it will warm.

And when it is warmed up enough, it will melt the glaciers completely, cooling the oceans, which in turn leads to cooling of the climate, which in turn leads to an ice age.

To get an image how much impact an ice age will have on the civilization, get this: the glacier which covered scandinavia on the previous ice age was 5 kilometers thick. It'll take thousands of years for it to melt off.

The good part is, while our generation will definately feel the first real effects of the climate change, we'll probably be long gone before the actual ice age hits us.

Best answers
So its really just a cycle?

It gets so warm that the glaciers melt, that causes a 2nd ice age, and then the glaciers are back, due to all the cold?

Best answers
So its really just a cycle?
Yes, exactly. A cycle which human activity has sped up, but never the less, a cycle.

It gets so warm that the glaciers melt, that causes a 2nd ice age, and then the glaciers are back, due to all the cold?
Well, there's been more than just one ice age in the, oh, about 4 and a half billion years it has existed.

But yeah. The Earth warms up slowly, melts the glaciers, which cool down the Earth again. Rinse and repeat.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, there's been more than just one ice age in the, oh, about 4 and a half billion years it has existed.
Dude, the Earth was created 4.5 billion years ago. Humans appeared 3 million years ago, which signifies the beginning of the Stone Age. During the second part of the stone age, the ice age came. So 4.5 billion years ago is DEFINITELY out of the question.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Dude, the Earth was created 4.5 billion years ago. Humans appeared 3 million years ago, which signifies the beginning of the Stone Age. During the second part of the stone age, the ice age came. So 4.5 billion years ago is DEFINITELY out of the question.
There have been as many as at least four major ice ages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom