Crashmann wants a new video card

Best answers
Nuff said. Yeah I want a good video card that will handle all of the latest games but I'm on a budget. I need a card on the PCIe bus, 256mb of ram, and good for the future (atleast the next 2 years). I was thinking of the ATI X800XL video card, but I'm not sure if I should spring for the 7800GTX card.

Best answers
If they are both ATI video cards then go to www.ati.com then click compare products and select both of those that you want to compare and click continue and it will display the information. If only one of them is ATI I would go with it but thats just me because i always buy from ATI.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wait for either the newer nVidia card coming out soon or the next ATi card as they should prove to be better than either of those two.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
what smith said is correct. However , if you feel really tempted to go get a new gfx card now , just get a vanillia 6600 to keep you going untill then (would get a gt , but you will want the extra money that would cost you for a gt for your next gfx card upgrade) what's your region anyway ? (i'm not familiar with proce differences in some other countries/areas)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No, don't get anything until the new card. Just wait and save money. You don't always have to buy a 6600 vanilla when waiting for a new card. I know it's in good thought, Overlord, but come on. He's survived this long, he can wait a month more.

CM

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Smith, the "newer nVidia card coming out soon" already came out, that is if you mean the 7800GTX. If not, then soon could mean quite a few months from now.

The X800XL is a dandy card, and the 7800GTX is way overpriced for what it does. I'd say go for a 6800GT or a 6800Ultra.

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
No the 6800 GT atm is underpriced, atleast the AGP version is.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
CM said:
Smith, the "newer nVidia card coming out soon" already came out, that is if you mean the 7800GTX. If not, then soon could mean quite a few months from now.

The X800XL is a dandy card, and the 7800GTX is way overpriced for what it does. I'd say go for a 6800GT or a 6800Ultra.
No, I mean a better one which is rumored to have an 800MHz clocked core.

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Smith| said:
No, I mean a better one which is rumored to have an 800MHz clocked core.
You mean the Ultra version?

It's just paper release, just like ATi's R520, so in other words, DONT count on it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Devion said:
You mean the Ultra version?

It's just paper release, just like ATi's R520, so in other words, DONT count on it.
No, no. Isn't the ultra just around 520 core? This is something else which should be on either 90nm or 110nm core process, no one knows yet. Should be good. Shimano supposidly has one but is under NDA ;o.

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Smith| said:
No, no. Isn't the ultra just around 520 core? This is something else which should be on either 90nm or 110nm core process, no one knows yet. Should be good. Shimano supposidly has one but is under NDA ;o.
Great, more rumors :S

Best answers
Hold up, I have another question about video cards. Now I have a computer with PCI slots only and integrated video but I dont want to upgrade it. I have had trouble with that whole upgrading and building your own computer stuff in the past, you all know that from my other posts.

So my question is, what is the most powerful PCI video card avaliable, Not PCI express, just regular PCI.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Anything in a PCI slot wouldn't be worth upgrading to, really. Just get like a 5200 PCI flavored.

Best answers
This the rumor u were speaking of?
The Inquirer has a tasty little rumor about the Nvidia G71, a high-speed GPU based on the G70 (GeForce 7800 GTX). The new card will have a double-slot cooling design and it's been reported that cards have reached 800MHz--quite a bit higher than the GeForce 7800 GTX's 430MHz.

Nvidia will need every last MHz if the ATI R520 rumors are true.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
next 2 years... ha, they will have so much crap out by then man.

since your on a budget, and are a cheap bastard like me. I'd suggest getting a geforce 4. they will run todays games fine, and you cna pick em up for probobly 90 dollars or less.

better than shipping out 300

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Bboy_Budokai said:
next 2 years... ha, they will have so much crap out by then man.

since your on a budget, and are a cheap bastard like me. I'd suggest getting a geforce 4. they will run todays games fine, and you cna pick em up for probobly 90 dollars or less.

better than shipping out 300
GeForce 4's are getting extremely outdated. They can't even run in BF2, I believe as they have 1.1 shaders while the game requires 1.4. If I had the money, I'd defintely get the 7800 :p.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom