Cracks, serials..

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My friend won't freaking deny that hes wrong. I told him cracks and "free" serials are considered as pirated software since its used to open it as he's giving it out illegally. He doesn't think so, but hell i'm not the one getting in trouble if he's caught.

Am I right or am I wrong?

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You might be able to argue that point, but in any court, I'm positive it'd come up as illegal. The arguement would have to go that it's NOT the software itself, but. Personally, I think he's an idiot for thinking it's not illegal. Tell him he's this close to having an entire forum tell him he's wrong ;P

-Karrde-

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
if it ever went to court, most likely he could argue "they already had the software, i was just trying to protect their disks by giving them a nocd code".

however, that would get pissed on by even a retarded lawyer, on the grounds that by creating a nocd file, your modifying the source content, which is protected by the EULA you agree to when installing the software.

your friend is a tard.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Instead of seeing the purchase of software as acquiring a program, see it as buying a license to install and use said program. With the obvious ease of being able to make files available to anyone in the world over the Internet, this view makes more sense. It's the reason why it's technically illegal to buy a single piece of software, and install it on an entire office of machines.

By handing out serial numbers and cracked executables, you're removing the need to purchase that license.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you friend ever gets caught then he is a retard. What your friend is doing is fine, just don't get caught. Actually, how does someone go about getting caught?

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No one gets caught o.0.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
In the United States, bypassing any security measure violates the DMCA, so reverse engineering any product you bought to be compatible with your hardware/software/system is illegal. Downloading a crack is basically the same thing, except someone else did the dirty work for you.

Assuming you guys live in the US, point him to the DMCA.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, turn in your friend. He'll thank you later.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, seriously. He needs to learn not to trust anyone. Especially not his "friends".

I don't see what the big deal is. If he gets caught, he gets caught. If he doesn't he doesn't. Its really none of Aqua's buisness either way <_<.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've talked to him again and he agreed with me, finally. Now he'll stop supporting it on his site. Thanks guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom