Cracking down on Ban evaders...

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
As we all know, Ban evading has been happening alot lately so i was curious if there is a way to crack down on it. Like have a program or a pm message the mod staff and say " This current user, is on the same ip as this following user" So they would know right off the bat if they were ban evading. I mean, its pretty easy to get away with it if you type diffently, wait a couple days before joining the forums and don't act like you would if you were on your other account. I don't know, when I see people getting caught for ban evading I just laugh my ass off. They deserve it in the first place.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I wonder what could have brought this on <_< >_>...

You can already pm a moderator if you feel the need to report someone. I don't know which one you should be pming, so just pm all of them o_O.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well its not just one person (who we all already know) but i've seen abunch already so i figured it would be nice to have something that screamed out at the mod team " HEY LOOK! I AM ON THE SAME IP AS THE GUY YOU JUST BANNED!!!"

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's not as hard as you might think to catch a ban evader. We moderators have our ways.

And I guess I'm out of the loop on this one. I haven't noticed any problems with people ban evading so much that the mods can't handle it. Care to elaborate? If not suitable for public viewing please PM me.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's not like Jinx ($$J Goku or w/e) is ban evading. He just has a ++++ing clone that is exactly like him in every way. He just has a different name (Mystery Gool).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You'll notice those accounts have been banned. So again, where is the problem?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Pain said:
You'll notice those accounts have been banned. So again, where is the problem?
Well I guess there isn't one anymore, but for a while and even before those guys, I would see them around from people who got banned for the voting thread. I guess you guys take care of the matter relatively fast.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I didn't notice as I'm not stalking an account, and he was making a suggestion. I think I pretty much explained what to do if a problem arises.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
We do have tools for this, the administrator one being slightly more robust than the Moderator's version. But both are effective, I suppose I could install more draconian policy towards signing up for accounts, but I feel it's important to keep registration as far away from the Patriot Act as humanly possible.

Validated Steam Engine
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
🌹 Regular Rosé
Best answers
KidBoy17 said:
As we all know, Ban evading has been happening alot lately so i was curious if there is a way to crack down on it. Like have a program or a pm message the mod staff and say " This current user, is on the same ip as this following user" So they would know right off the bat if they were ban evading. I mean, its pretty easy to get away with it if you type diffently, wait a couple days before joining the forums and don't act like you would if you were on your other account. I don't know, when I see people getting caught for ban evading I just laugh my ass off. They deserve it in the first place.
Not quite. A problem with just using IPs though. Some people, like me, are on networks so their IP and everyone on the networks IP are the same. Our IPs are only different when it gets past the router. So just saying they have the same IP isn't a sure-fire way of doing it because it could be a relative's/coworker's/fellow student's account or something.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
A forum admin control panel &/or a admin/mod's wise judgement > Ban evaders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom