CPL ceases to exist?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The CPL Ceases Operations

Effective immediately, the Cyberathlete Professional League (CPL) will cease operations. Therefore, all CPL events currently scheduled for 2008 are hereby canceled.

The CPL was launched in June 1997 with the pioneering mission of promoting and sanctioning video game competitions as a professional sport. For ten years the CPL events experienced increased growth - commencing with a small LAN event in Dallas, Texas, and culminating in world-class competitions across five continents.

However, the current fragmentation of the sport, a crowded field of competing leagues, and the current economic climate have prompted the CPL to suspend its pro-tournament operations. The CPL regrets that this news will disappoint those that were planning on attending the summer and winter events this year.

Many thanks to all of the sponsors and partners that helped CPL establish the groundwork for professional video game competitions. Their vision and pioneering spirit should always be remembered.
Source : http://www.thecpl.com/?p=1920

------

Really, what a pity.. I had really high hopes for e-sports and CPL was one of the most succesful contributors to it.
I even found myself enjoy viewing some of the professional CPL Matches in Counter-Strike 1.6 and StarCraft.

Rest in Peace, Cyberathlete Professional League. :(

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The market is becoming very saturated with eSports competitions and such. Those who compete will generally only compete in the ones with the best prizes, and CPL probably couldn't survive in such an environment.

I've also heard there were some internal conflicts over certain matters, but I don't know enough about them to really say anything substantial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom