Best answers
Recently a friend of mine began constructing the newest version of his Counter-Strike pack which he lovingly calls the Pingmaster Pack. Using his alias as the pack's title, he has created a very interesting bundle of custom models, animations, and sounds, all dug up out of the vastness of the internet. He asked me to use my recently aquired Photoshop skills to make him a splash image (the picture that shows up behind the menu when you first start up the game). This is the result.

If it does not work, simply copy and paste this address. http://www25.brinkster.com/siggybox/splash.jpg

Please give some feedback.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i like the splash.. this is a very different kinda art than what most ppl make here.. this has more to do with lighting and editing the pic, maybe also coloring..

alot different than making renders and blending em a 1000 times..

good job, it fits well on the cs main menu

Best answers
This was achieved by Pingmaster taking the model you see in there and posing it with 3D Studio Max, taking a screen shots, then porting it to me where I had a background waiting. The background is a photo of a supposed haunted house. I fired up Photoshop 7.0 and used some standard lighting effects, blended him into the background, then gave the whole thing a final lighting tweak.

So you were right on the money, dudeman.

It actually looks kinda freaky if you try using it, which is obviously what I was going for.

Best answers
Is there a resolution and color bit restriction on the splash image? I only ask because the digital quality looks a little low, but as I've done some similar types of things I see where there may be some limitations. I think you should show us a version with all the loading stuff happening so we can see how well it works in its natural environment.

Best answers
The image had to be 640x480 and not one pixel off, as Pingmaster said to me. You're right, the quality is low, but I actually intended that for the more gritty look.

Natural environment? Hmm, I'll see what I can do.

Best answers
Sh'yeah, just hit F5. Go figure. :p Here she is sitting in the main menu.

Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That's pretty cool. I thought you were talking about the console load screen though. :p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wow that looks awesome! Is this pack available for download?

Best answers
I think it works pretty well. I have a few technical suggestions. First, I think it's just a little too dark, I know you want it to be creepy, but I think that the SAS guy should be a more visible. Here's a thought, what if he had a gun with a working flashlight on it? That might be interesting AND creepy. Second, with the title text, I think it would work much better if "Pingmaster's Pack" and "Version 1.7b" were aligned to the left at the same column as the menu text. Lastly, I think that the menu text should be solid color, and that the buttons should be cut out a little better. Otherwise though I think it looks sharp.

Best answers
Sorry for taking so long to respond, everyone. I'll answer you all in order.

GhostFaceKillah, yes, all the sounds have been replaced. Shots, grenades, radio messages; the works. There are no original models (save for the hostages) either.

Ryoko, due to Pingmaster living in an area where a good connection costs more than a monthly car payment, the pack is not currently available for public download. It's simply too large and he could likely never find a place to upload it (if he could upload it at all). However, I hope to change that with my upcoming move down south where they have wonderful things like broadband connections. I will certainly let everyone know when his pack is officially released to the world.

It is also important to note that as they stand now, the Pingmaster Packs are -not- internet friendly. Almost every aspect of the game is changed and is not compatible with vanilla 1.5. You cannot connect to a server that uses the Pingmaster Pack unless you are using the Pingmaster Pack. This will likely change in the future, but one must understand that in a small town where good connections are simply too expensive, decking out a custom game for LAN parties was the initial goal.

MrDomino, very good suggestions. The flashlight idea is intrigueing. As I become more and more comfortable with Photoshop I will surely try my hand at such a trick.

Thank you everyone. I'm glad you liked it. I look forward to sharing future work with you all.

If anyone wants to know more about Pingmaster's Pack, drop me a line at [email protected]. It's a great custom pack for LAN parties, and future versions will likely be net friendly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom