Counter-Strike: Mod or Stand-Alone game?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This is wierd. Okay, I downloaded Counter-Strike off Steam some time ago. I tried to install esf into it, but it didn't work. But that's another story. Then, my friend gave me the same game, only it was a mod like ESF. Did anyone else here experience this?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm lost at what you're asking :0

But, going by your title, all I have to say is, Counter-strike is a mod off of Half-life.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
But when I downloaded it off Steam it was a game of it's own. Not a mod like ESF. But I did see that it's files were similar to Half-Life's files. So maybe the guys that made Counter Strike just took Half-Life's files and edited them to create a new game. Am I right?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh, I get it.

The guys that made Counter-strike are the same people that made Half-life I think.

what they did is they used the source engine and modded it, and since they created it, they just turned it into a stand alone game.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, that's probably it. But it seems that some idiot made a mod version. He just took the cstrike folder and copied it into Half-Life and then it was a mod for Half-Life like ESF.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Time where we used WON2, you had to download Counter-Strike if you had Half-Life, so he probably downloaded the old patch or full patch for WON and put it into the steam folder.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You don't get it. It is 1.6! It's completely the same as the one you get off Steam, no difference, except the background which is different (looks like some kind of labyrinth), and it is a mod, not a stand alone game.

Best answers
C.S is was a mod and was bought out when valve saw how popular it was. Think Garry's mod.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
CS has its own game folder, and it can run without HL installed, its stand alone. I don't know if thats what where asking since your posts kinda throw the question around a bit.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
CS started otu as a hl mod, then valve decided to takeover the delvelopment of the game. I remeebr back when I used WON that I had a installer for CS1.5 that I had to install to HL. It's a different story altogether on steam however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom