Cooling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
I'm mainly asking for Overlords help on this one. Anyhow heres the story!
I was using my Athlon XP 3000+ earlier today playing oblivion.
Suddenly it crashed, It was a warm day, So I decided to check the temps on the processor, And I almost fell off the chair, The Processor was sitting in 74 Degrees.
I knew the Athlons ran hot...
Anyhow, I need something with more extreme cooling methods for the socket A/462 platform. Last thing I need is to blow up the processor in my gaming rig.
So Overlord, The best Cheapy HSF fan thats better than my Doohicky I used from bits and pieces? (Heatsink came off a Duron 1.6Ghz, and the fan was out one of the thermaltake case fans, which I removed to fit the Sata HDD in).
As This is a relatively small town with about 2 computer shops, Prices are generally high. And I rarely put the credit card to use, So I thought I might as well.
And yes the heat sink has arctic ice on it.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Getting new hsfs for K7s these days seems to be a bit of a gamble with newer coolers seeming to support all the newer sockets, however there are still a few to consider that I'd recommend.

Thermaltake Big typhoon 120 (Excellent HSF, friend has one running a TT soprano, and currently gets idle temps of 31 and load temps of around 39-44 degrees under load on a socket 478 3.2ghz P4). Mind you, be careful with installation of this cooler, you don't want to flex the mainboard under the pressure of applying it and becarful if you even want to remove it because you can risk ripping out the socket of your mainboard if not removed properly. You might possibly have a hard time finding these, but might be able to find one online. Just note don't get the Big typhoon VX, they don't support/fit on socket a mainboards from what I know.

Thermaltake Beetle CL-P0086 - Luckily I can still find these available at fluidtek, which is my supplier.

Gigabyte 3D Rocket cooler-pro Luckily I can stil find this hsf in a few stores too, and they seem to do a good job.

TT Volcano 12 - I use to see a lot of people buy these coolers back in the day of socket a, and they need a fairly decent job of cooling too. I would by this if you have limited space in your case to fit the other 3 hsfs in.

Hope this helps, also make sure to go through the other checklists related to cooling that you know of (you know the drill, dust etc :p).

Edit: Seems I can find the Volcano 12 on Staticice for $50~ :). I can also find the beetle for $50~ as well.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
You could always PM Overlord if you only want his help?
Because it is summer here in AUS, And our heat is generally more drastic than other parts of the world, Thus it may help someone else out.
And I said "Mainly".

The Thermaltake Beetle CL-P0086 looks awesome, I'll check if one of the shops here can order it in, If not Ebay, If not the stores you showed is good enough.
And Eventually I'll make the move to the Athlon 64 Socket 939 Hopefully, its compatible with them.

The Volcano 12 doesn't nearly look as hawt as the beetle :p

Thermaltake Big typhoon 120 - By the sounds of it, its no my cup-of-tea.

So the beetle it is! Thanks Overlord!

1) Computer is free of dust - Check!
2) 5 case fans working perfectly - Check!
3) Artic cool/Thermal paste ready - Check!
4) Sweet looking heatsink and fan - Hopefully! - beetle!

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Because it is summer here in AUS, And our heat is generally more drastic than other parts of the world, Thus it may help someone else out.

The Thermaltake Beetle CL-P0086 looks awesome, I'll check if one of the shops here can order it in, If not Ebay, If not the stores you showed is good enough.
And Eventually I'll make the move to the Athlon 64 Socket 939 Hopefully, its compatible with them.

The Volcano 12 doesn't nearly look as hawt as the beetle :p

Thermaltake Big typhoon 120 - By the sounds of it, its no my cup-of-tea.

So the beetle it is! Thanks Overlord!
Glad to be of assistance :).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom