Control VR - The Virtual hands

I am no more
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Basically it implements the hand control into the VR system. Discuss.

[video=youtube;qZhcINr8bw4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZhcINr8bw4[/video]

Former Forcepit Member :(
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Lawnmower man anyone

also they need to make a full body suit so you can do animations like a pro xD i mean using proper martial artest for fights in games would be awesome still i stand by lawnmower man comment

Last edited:
Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Its a nice step forward for game developement. But as far as gaming itself goes, its just a gimmic. If you are using both your hands to controll the hands of the character in the game, what will controll the rest of the character, not to mention things like item selection ^^

Force Pit Member
Best answers
**** YOU GREGA!

lol, anyhow on a serious note, give me real movement Tekken!!!!

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No way man, this is real time movement Tekken right there for the taking!
And to move forward you hild one hand in front of the other, to crouch you make a C shape with your fingers, to jump you wave your hands like your on fire and so on.

🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Screw that. I want a Jutsu system where you'd have to make the Jutsu seals to cast your skills!

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
hmm what if the japanese get their hands on that...

Discord Member
Best answers
u'd have to put movement controls into the gloves or something. in the video it looks like they had a controller they were using to move around. another problem i see with VR is the collision with the hands .... if u move ur hand around against a wall ... ur hand will go right through it. and if the game does create the collision, how will it force ur own hand to stop. there is no way you could do a fighting game with it at this point.

the ONLY way virtual reality would work would be if you could do Dream Reality. If we could somehow harness the power of dreams and make a virtual world that we can access through those parts of the mind. May take some time before we know enough about the mind to do something like that though

Best answers
u'd have to put movement controls into the gloves or something. in the video it looks like they had a controller they were using to move around. another problem i see with VR is the collision with the hands .... if u move ur hand around against a wall ... ur hand will go right through it. and if the game does create the collision, how will it force ur own hand to stop. there is no way you could do a fighting game with it at this point.

the ONLY way virtual reality would work would be if you could do Dream Reality. If we could somehow harness the power of dreams and make a virtual world that we can access through those parts of the mind. May take some time before we know enough about the mind to do something like that though
I actually think that VR is entirely possible without "Dream Reality". However, the technology for it doesn't exist at the moment.
I mean if you think about it, all of our senses are merely what our brain tells us through impulses in the body. The brain receives these impulses, reads them, and causes the body to react in a certain way.

If we got the technology to be able to not only pick up impulses sent through the Central Nervous System but nullify them before they reach the brain, then we could stop motion while participating within virtual reality. This could also lead to much more, such as reading impulses to make an avatar move within the VR and creating artificial impulses that make your body feel things that aren't actually there, see things that aren't there, hear things that are not there. However, this is just my theory.

Edit: I realize this is poorly worded, but I hope I still got my point across

Last edited:
Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Actually the technology for full motion VR exists. Its a tad bulky and really expensive though. And it was only completed with the projects such as oculus.

You dont really need much other than a mechanical suit suspended in the air. The VR avatar mimics the motions of the suit. Ofcourse the suit also includes motors that offer resistance based on VR feedback (think of force feedback on race wheels). This would grant you full motion capabilities and the motors would provide you with the feedback you need. Add an expanded version of the oculus with a full 180 degree view range and you have yourself full VR without the need to intercept the signals sent by the brain.

The oculus would have to be modified so that the monitors arch inwards towards your nose and end at the ear area for full field of view options. but thats not really an issue since the bigger problem is performance. The main issue is making the suit. While the technology itself isnt a big deal (we use it for robotic arm manipulation instead of joysticks). Now add force feedback motors to those joints and you have a working rpototype. The issue is that the cost of such a device would be through the roof.

But by using the feedback from the collision detection "ingame" you would actualy have a feeling like you are holding something in your hand, since the suit itself wouldnt let you deform your hands past that object.

Last edited:
Super elite
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
You know, we should definitely have this at the ESF final. And use hand-sign language to all of the players. I'll laugh.

I am no more
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
But by using the feedback from the collision detection "ingame" you would actualy have a feeling like you are holding something in your hand, since the suit itself wouldnt let you deform your hands past that object.
I would never imagine the feeling technology like that :eek: . It's like genius. But still, how would you feel something, if you touch it with back of your hand, or leg or anything?

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Its quite simply really. You wouldnt feel what you are touching. All you would feel is resistance from the suit. If programed correctly a ball hitting the back of your palm ingame would trigger the following force feedback motors. Shoulder, elbow and wrist.

If you held a ball in your hands, you would get resistance as you tried to move your fingers through the ingame ball surface. Pneumatics are fast and strong enough to simulate that sort of resistance. So in essence you would feel force and basic form from the pressure exerted from the suit on to your body that is trying to move beyond where the suit lets you.

Its a similar technology as the prediction algorythems in robotic prostesis. Its not perfect, but for the most basic use its enough. Its just used in a different way with the movement algorythems comming from an ingame collision detection system, rather than prediction algorythems.

The feeling would be like a glove frozen in place. So the glove is totally frozen round a ball and then removed. You can not move your fingerspast where the glove is letting you. You are not holding anything, but from the pressure you are feeling from the frozen glove you can feel that the form you are golding is a round object. Now just move that example to a semi robotic exosuit that dont let you move past the collision detection data fron inside the VR.

As said. Its not cheap, but it already exists in other areas. Some parts date back to the space race really.

So looking at the leg. Imagine your pants suddenly stopping from the hip down. Thats the feeling you would get. You just couldnt move in that direction any more. And through the headset you would see that you just slamed your knee in to a wall. It wouldnt hurt, but your leg would just stop due to the force of the exosuit. Your virtual display would give your brain the information for the why that happened. So the feeling of confusion would be nearly nonexisting. Yoiud just be "Oh i hit a wall. Got to go another way", like you do with a controler today.

Ofcourse the issue remaines. Its a gimmic. While you would probably be able to interact with the world, you would most likely not have any control over things like bringing up and navigating menus, since there is no real imput past movement. I guess you could tie it to voice commands, but those are iffy at best. Best way would be to design menus round the idea of an VR version of augmented reality. Like a watch that you press to bring up a holographic menu and using your finger to press the buttons on the hologram. Or like a lot of games are doing these days. A VR smartphone. Ofcourse those systems are really clunky and you couldnt do it on the fly.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom