💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
hey everybody.

I got a new pc, specs:
2.6 quadcore cpu.
2 gig ram.
3 hardrives (40gb, 250gb and 500gb)
new intel mb

Sorry for the lack of more information, etc. not at my house now so I can't retrieve them.
I was running my computer with the onboard intel graphics and I finally decided to put in a gpu.
I got a nx8800gt (1GB) from my friend and put it in the pci-e slot. When I started my computer up it started making a continuous beep sound from the motherboard (not the conventional one beep system startup) and it never ends, oh yea and the monitor doesn't display anything. I got a small cable with 2 connector points, each consisting of 2 individual pins (a + and -), I see that the gpu has a slot for them but I don't know if it should be connected somewhere on the motherboard.

Another piece of information is that I only have 550W power supply, could it possibly be a lack of power to the motherboard?

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
From what I can tell:

Continuous beep - Power supply, system board, or keyboard problem
Multiple websites are confirming the same "Continuous beep" issue with the above answers. I Could be wrong though, and I doubt it's a keyboard issue. So my guess is either the PSU or the Motherboard.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
hmm I guess i'll have to try and buy a new psu then, motherboard works fine without the gpu. Motherboards never have compatibility issues with graphics card's do they?

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What's your PSU rated at? 8800's are power whores. If you have an older PSU, it probably can't run enough juice. You'll want like an 850 watt PSU for any system running an 8800.

King of the Hello Kitty Fanclub
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have a 650W PSU with 2x 8800GT's and haven't had dramas in the 2 years they've been running. (I run SLI and haven't met a game that I couldn't crank at highest graphics). A 550W is probably a tad too low anyway, but I can't imagine you're getting beeping if there's not enough juice, it'd just not run.

Beeping generally means **** is ****ed up. An MB will beep if the RAM isn't installed properly, and a GFX card is basically RAM dedicated to GFX. 8800's need their own power (they have a port on the actual card that you'll need the PSU to plug into), so I'd start by making sure the card is installed properly. It probably isn't a compatibility issue, but there's a slim possibility as some cards are designed to work better with certain MB's.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
did you install the additional pcie power cable? most likely it has 1 6pin

The small 2pin cable you mentioned is most likely the spdif connector, which you only need if you want to use hdmi out with sound.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
hmm i'm stupid. Noticed the extra power needed, my damned psu only has a 4-pin cable, but I managed to get the molex(i think that's what you call it) to pci-e adapter. Everything is working perfectly now thanks everyone.

Now that my gpu is working fine and all I have another problem, sometimes when i play certain games like COD World at War the pc freezes after a while and a "pink screen of death" appears, meaning that there are random pixel blocks on the screen. I have to restart my pc everytime this happens. I tried disabling shadows and anti-aliasing, and I updated my drivers. It works better but eventually the pink screen of death does appear, I checked on google and they said many 8800s do this, but I don't find a real solution except for people saying that I have to replace it.

Does anyone maybe have a solution to this or should I just try and live with it?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Artifacting usually occurs when your GPU is overworked/overheated. Download SpeedFan or a similar program to monitor your temps. Post the results here.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Artifacting usually occurs when your GPU is overworked/overheated. Download SpeedFan or a similar program to monitor your temps. Post the results here.
I bought a 8800GTS a few years ago and I had the "Artifacting" issues, had to bring it back and get a new one. The damn card was overclocked by the company. I chose for EVGA models instead, much more reliable. Though I do have a buzzing sound when ever I play games. Not killing, but can be quite annoying at times.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What spunky said, but artifacting can also happen when the gpu does not get enough power. In my old comp I had artifacts with one card, sent it back and the new one did it too. Installing a better PSU helped :D

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That's also something I was thinking about. If he's using an old power supply, he might not have factored in the additional wattage for the new system.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
hmm i'm stupid. Noticed the extra power needed, my damned psu only has a 4-pin cable, but I managed to get the molex(i think that's what you call it) to pci-e adapter. Everything is working perfectly now thanks everyone.
This. You're converting and it's working, but you're probably lacking the necessary power to run complex graphical rendering which is causing the Artifacting.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sorry for taking so long been having exams, didn't have my pc with me. I downloaded speedFan and got all the specs, here's an image:

I don't get some of those temperatures they just don't make sense. My cpu temperature goes haywire from -80 to 80 to 127 degrees celsius, something must be wrong there.

My GPU seems to be fine though I played a few games on full graphics and it seems to max at around about 57?
http://imageshack.us

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I wouldn't trust speedfan at all. Temp reading have been dodgy as well for me. Realtemp/Coretemp (for cpu) and GPUZ (for gpu, obv) give much better readings for temps.

Last edited:
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
121C?? WTF

Either that number is extremely wrong or you're sitting on a time bomb.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The CPU/Mobo would throttle at araound 90°. As I said, speed fan is a horribly inaccurate program IMO.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Heh, I never knew SpeedFan was so inaccurate. Never had such issue before giving false readings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom