Constantly dropped/crashing

Best answers
Hello all,

Been enjoying the game while learning it "solo" via a self hosted server with bots, which was all fine and good, no problems to be had there.

However, as soon as I attempted to head to the servers of others I found myself facing a constant dropped/crashed scenario. The length of time is random, but generally 15 seconds - a few minutes.
I'll manage to take off, maybe even get some hits in, and then I'll either suddenly find myself at the server selection window again, or have the whole program give up and quit, leaving me at my desktop.

I tried uninstalling everything and reinstalling. ESF, HL1, Steam, and various combinations therin. I'm not running with "software" in the video setting, and have tried both Open GL and the other option, which produced no real change. Even messed with the in game sound settings, and my hardware acceleration in the vein hopes it was something like the HL2 problems I've had once before.

Totally stumped on what is booting me from the games hosted by others, since it seems like I'm the only one on the server facing such. I generally pick games with a latency of less than 100. Attempted to see what hosting my own match would generate, but no one ever came around, and I got bored going one on one vs the computer.

Any ideas?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Only thing I can think of would be to update your drivers, if you haven't done so already.

Best answers
Drivers are up to date as well...hmm...

I actually just tried the game on another computer, different build but through the same hub, and had the same problem, so I'm starting to think it's a router/connection issue. I am running from behind a firewall, though it's rare to experience any problems stemming from that.

Best answers
Hrm, not a firewall issue at least, I tried putting myself outside of it, and got nothign for my trouble...

Still getting randomly dumped from games after a dissapointly short period of time.

Best answers
Ok i am having this EXACT same problem and i have no clue what it could be...i tried reinstalling, i tried troubleshooting, and pretty much everyhting in between so plz if u found a resolution to this problem let me know here..thanx =)

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
If both computers have the same problem, then there must be something wrong with your router / connection as you already mentioned. Perhaps you should try to open ports, disable firewall programs if you have any, and test your connection speed.

If you haven't done so, perhaps you could take a look at the following 3 threads:

Frequently Asked Questions
Performance Tweak (FPS/Comp Lag)
FPS / PING / LAG - HELP!

Best answers
OK we have determined it IS the router since neither mine nor my room mates computer will run the game...im pretty noobish at configuring the router or opening ports....if u could give me some help on the subject that would be great :smile: I use a linksys router and i can open up the main setup window by inputting my ip address into my browser but after that im pretty lost...thanx in advance

Best answers
ok ive basically got it narrowed down to a port triggering problem now heres the thing...i dont know which port to trigger since i dont know the port numbers for half/esf so if anyone has that information that would be what i need to fix this problem

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
27015 is what Half-Life uses. Also, please try not to double post.

Best answers
i tried triggering that port but i dont think it worked..because my half-life launcher is not called half-life its just called hl...but i dont know if this makes a difference or not...oh and sorry bout the double post i guess im just getting frustrated at this point

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The default port for any Half-Life related game is 27015. Are you sure you're doing it right?

Best answers
application name half-life....trigger port range 27015 - 27015 incoming port range 27015 - 27015 seems right to me

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom