Computer Starts but Monitor shows Blank.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
After a long, long time i am finally able to rebuild my PC again. But now after i have assembled it, when i start it, it just won't show up. I bench tested it, all the fans and Dvd drives work, all the lights light up but my monitor just keeps blinking that green light.

Now before you guys give suggestions, i want you know know what i have tried.

Firstly, the monitor works perfectly. I've tried it elsewhere and it doesn't have a problem.

Secondly, a couple of months ago when i built it (Not the first time) the PSU was just 350w and it still had the same problem. Now i have bought a new 575w PSU and still the same thing. I was sure the problem would be due to it. It wasn't.

Thirdly, i have tried starting it up with the bare minimum parts just to see if the problem is due to any part. Motherboard, Cpu, RAM and PSU. It still wouldn't show up.

Fourthly, i have done the same with parts from another PC, with the only constants being the PSU and the monitor, still no go.

Note that even though everything powers up alright inside the case when i switch on, the Numlock and the Capslock keys don't show any light when i press them.

Also Note that everything was working until i dissembled my PC for moving.

Now that everythings out of the way, i would greatly appreciate anyone who can help me start true gaming again. He will receive a Cookie.

Last edited:
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Are you sure your GPU is not fried? Either that, or broken RAM? Trying to start your computer with only the motherboard, CPU and PSU shouldn't work, because it will still need RAM to function, other wise you get a black screen. Same happens with a broke GPU as far as I am aware.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Are you sure your GPU is not fried? Either that, or broken RAM? Trying to start your computer with only the motherboard, CPU and PSU shouldn't work, because it will still need RAM to function, other wise you get a black screen. Same happens with a broke GPU as far as I am aware.
I forgot to add RAM to that list. Yeah i tried with RAM, and like i said i also tried without my GPU. I have 2 sticks of Ram and i tried with each of them alone. Also, its not a black screen, its more like the monitor doesn't even start showing anything. I remove the plug from it, its says no signal, when i connect it, it just starts blinking before i even turn on the PC. Remains the same after its on.

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
I forgot to add RAM to that list. Yeah i tried with RAM, and like i said i also tried without my GPU. I have 2 sticks of Ram and i tried with each of them alone. Also, its not a black screen, its more like the monitor doesn't even start showing anything. I remove the plug from it, its says no signal, when i connect it, it just starts blinking before i even turn on the PC. Remains the same after its on.
Have you tried it with a different GPU? When there is no GPU inserted, it won't show you anything (the screen won't turn on), but when it is broken, the exact same thing happens.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Have you tried it with a different GPU? When there is no GPU inserted, it won't show you anything (the screen won't turn on), but when it is broken, the exact same thing happens.
My motherboard has an integrated graphic card, so when i remove my dedicated one, this one is supposed to take over. And like i said, i have tried with parts from a completely different PC as well. I just can't place what the problem is.

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
What did you exactly try with that other PC? Did you take components from that PC, and put it in your PC. Or did you put your components one-by-one in that PC?

The only components I know off that give a blank screen are the RAM modules and the GPU, I've had both of them die on me, and give me the exact same problems as you have. Without a [or broken] CPU, your computer should still start and show something. Without a [or broken] PSU, it wouldn't start at all. Without a [or broken] Motherboard, either nothing would happen, or it would start to beep loudly.

Last edited:
Judge. Jury. Executioner
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
I took all components and placed them instead of my components. Except the PSU.

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
It may still be only one component then. Try replacing each individual component at the time, and testing it. When the PC works, try the next component. Though my suspicions tell me to start with either the RAM or GPU. With RAM, if you have multiple sticks, try only one stick at the time.

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Accidentally skipped over that, sorry. But still, you may want to try each and every individual part alone in the other PC, as you haven't tried that as far as I understand you. :p

Other than that, I am at a loss what it could be.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
If your monitor displays zero information and you hear a series of beeps or at least just one, you have a POST failure. That means your motherboard or graphics card is inoperable.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Accidentally skipped over that, sorry. But still, you may want to try each and every individual part alone in the other PC, as you haven't tried that as far as I understand you. :p

Other than that, I am at a loss what it could be.
I'll try that. Lets see if it'll work without the Cpu.

But the thing thats eating me is its doing the same thing with completely different components. I don't get. I'd take it to get checked but they ask a $100 for Diagnostics, even if you don't repair it with them.

*sigh*

Still, thanks for trying Sicron, i appreciate t.

---------- Double Post below was added at 11:11 AM has been merged with this post created 11:08 AM at ----------

If your monitor displays zero information and you hear a series of beeps or at least just one, you have a POST failure. That means your motherboard or graphics card is inoperable.
Yeah, on my quest to fix my PC i read about those beeps. Though i don't know if its a good thing or not, there isn't even a single beep.

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
But the thing is, you have to try each component individually. One component may be broken. So if you replace all components in a different computer at the same time, you still won't know which component is messed up.

So you need to take the other computer (motherboard, CPU, RAM, everything) and leave everything in.
- First try to replace the GPU, if the computer works, you know your GPU is fine. Put the old GPU back in.
- Second try RAM stick A. If it works, take RAM stick A out and try B. If it works, both are fine. Put the other RAM sticks of the computer back in.
- Replace the CPU. If it works, put the old CPU back in.

Only if each and every component has been tested individually, you can say for certain what is broken. If everything works, it must be the motherboard in your own PC.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
But the thing is, you have to try each component individually. One component may be broken. So if you replace all components in a different computer at the same time, you still won't know which component is messed up.

So you need to take the other computer (motherboard, CPU, RAM, everything) and leave everything in.
- First try to replace the GPU, if the computer works, you know your GPU is fine. Put the old GPU back in.
- Second try RAM stick A. If it works, take RAM stick A out and try B. If it works, both are fine. Put the other RAM sticks of the computer back in.
- Replace the CPU. If it works, put the old CPU back in.

Only if each and every component has been tested individually, you can say for certain what is broken. If everything works, it must be the motherboard in your own PC.
Ah, i must not have explained well. What i meant to say is, i am NOT taking my parts and putting them in another case, no what i am doing is, taking parts from the other PC (Motherboard, Hard Drive, RAM, CPU, no GPU) all completely different from my parts and using them instead of my parts. Basically, i am connecting an entire different computer. None of my parts, except PSU, are involved here.

Seems like i'll have to take it from the top. I actual took an old HP pc from my uncle, and replaced it with my parts when i moved. Thats when the problem started. After that when i put the original components back, its the same thing.

Best answers
Did you reset your BIOS/clear CMOS at all during this troubleshooting phase?

Judge. Jury. Executioner
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
I'll try that. Lets see if it'll work without the Cpu.

But the thing thats eating me is its doing the same thing with completely different components. I don't get. I'd take it to get checked but they ask a $100 for Diagnostics, even if you don't repair it with them.

*sigh*

Still, thanks for trying Sicron, i appreciate t.

---------- Double Post below was added at 11:11 AM has been merged with this post created 11:08 AM at ----------

Yeah, on my quest to fix my PC i read about those beeps. Though i don't know if its a good thing or not, there isn't even a single beep.
Failure to post or processor failure, I would seek a new motherboard.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
What DiebytheSword said. Though it's weird that's there's no beeps. Could be a failure to power up the mobo properly at all. If it was just a faulty CPU, though, DiebytheSword, it should beep at him. Same for just a GPU. I'd bet his mobo is seriously shot. You could test other components by plugging them into other computers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom