Community projects and official releases

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Okay, while in the duel mode thread, i was thinking about something

The problem with plugins and maps that are community released, is that its serverside, and many (95% of servers) servers just dont have any of them, and this is most likely due to server owners not knowing they even exist, or not being bothered to go out and download them for their server. I think most players would understand where im comming from with this.

Anyway, what i was thinking is maybe with the official release, a handfull of community plugins/popular custom maps from esf world that are up to the esf standard (would have to be tested to see if they're of good quality/bug free, then the valid ones may be selected by vote or as some sort of competition) are released with esf. With the plugins, upon install of esf it would give the option to have them enabled/disabled, disabled by default, unless selected.

Just an idea =]

edit, note, im not refering to addon (mods of esf) im talking about amx plugins, like swoop trail and swoop dust, melee only, no transformation etc...

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I like it.

But currently the problem arnt the maps its the custom wad files.

Tthey dont get downloaded from the server.

So your idea fixes that problem to.

And the best part --> MORE MAPS :p

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well... 1.3 is definately going to have its fair share of new maps ^_^, but there are a lot of maps which people do have as favs, but there's no servers running them at all =\ i mean, its either cell games, or city for the most part =/ >_<... I'd like to see some maps like, other world tourney, and new vegeta, babidi, tms_ratz, etc >_< so many good maps out there but no servers with them on

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I personally would like to see this in , the only aus server in existence is just normal esf without any plugs at all (but thank god it's not evm).

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
As i said no server runs them cause the wad files arnt downloaded with the map.

So if the person joining dosent have it he cant play it.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Grega said:
As i said no server runs them cause the wad files arnt downloaded with the map.
WAD files can be embedded into maps with custom compile options. It's not even difficult, either. All a mapper has to do is add -nowadtextures (embed every texture used in the map) or -wadinclude [customwad] (ZHLT only, replace [customwad] with the name of the WAD file to be included) to his CSG parameters. Yes, it inflates the size of the map file, but look at the tradeoff: texture dependencies = gone.

I don't know why more mappers don't use this.

I like your idea, David. If they'd be included in a default install, and easily turned off and on (could be in the options menu when you create a listenserver) then I don't see why people wouldn't use them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom