Combo Idea *Improving the impossible*

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So we all know how combo's work. you input the correct amount of arrows in advanced melee and once its all done then you perform the combo's.

My improvement-
Now we all know that the opponent can block almost if not all the arrows and the combo can still go through. This is very unfair because your opponent can still do an amazing amount of damage to you with just one combo.

My idea is to simply change how many arrow's you can block. I say, change it to only 1 allowed arrow block. If you block anymore then the combo can not go through. This will make people strive to get better and to trick their opponent's into messing up.

Second Improvement-
My second idea is to add another Combo that is very hard to perform but has a very cool effect. When you perform the combo your character will do it it like normal but the last hit will cause your opponent to get "stunned" or get "dazed". While your opponent is in this state, your character will perform one of his signature moves by him/herself. Examples are KHH for Goku, SBC for Piccolo, Death Beam (maybe a thicker one) for Frieza.... you get the idea.

This combo would be a one hit kill but your opponent can not block any of the arrows that you put in. If one arrow is blocked, then your character will not do a combo but just attack like normal.

EDIT: Seeing as how a one hit kill (even if its nearly impossible to do) is too cheap, then either the combo would do serious damage or slightly more damage then the other combos.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I like the first idea. It's annoying how combos can still get through with just one arrow.

I think the 2nd idea has been suggested before. I like it, the signature-move part too, but the one-hit-kill part is bad, bad, bad.. people wouldn't even bother using the other combos if they could use this combo and have a chance of a one-hit kill! It'd be abused to no end. o_O

Best answers
I aggree with idea 1.. but one hit kills are always a no-no. Thats why so many people hate awps in CS :/.

Wat

Best answers
I like the idea of each character having a more complex combo, but how many arrows are you thinking?

I'd imagine 5-6 green hits with an emphasis on diagonals, or 3-4 mixed-color hits. I like the idea of a hard-to-do one-hit kill, but, in reality, it'd probably only remain "hard-to-do" for a few days at the most, and then be, as Shiyojin said, easily abused.

I've mentioned (sometimes passively) in other threads that I'd really like to see some emphasis in the game placed on directly attacking opponents' energy stores -- maybe this combo could do moderate damage and noticeably damage ki reserves*?

I agree on the first idea (about blocking combos) completely. Overall, I like both. :yes:

* By "moderate" damage, I've actually got between 35-45 damage in mind, and by "noticeable" damage, I'm thinking between 20%-25%, but these numbers certainly present problems.

Best answers
But kenny you dont see the awp removed in competitive play do you? Thats because the game is balanced out.

maybe the one hit kill combo could be balanced out. Maybe there is only certain times you could use it, it uses up alot of stamina, and it would require all 3 or 4 arrows ( of the secret combo ) to come in contact with the enemy for it to work, and if you fail, it leaves you open to a free attack.

trunksfreak

T
i agree i dont think combos are fair for the opponent

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Combos aren't fair for the opponent? Are you just posting in every thread just to increase your post count?

Best answers
even if a player is semi decent...he should be able to spot a combo player from a mile away...i am one of those people...so i know when people use comboes... and if i see they start with a certain move i can just predict what they are gonna do with out them actually doing it. i like both idea's though...good job kid boy

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm all for special combos, but not for one-hit kills. That'd be ridiculous. I can guarantee everyone would try to use the 1-hit kill combo every time they go into advanced melee.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well the thing is, with the one hit kill combo's, your opponent can only block 1 arrow. If he blocks anymore, then you can not do the combo and you just punch and kick like normal. This also makes it harder for a very advanced player because like Dirty said, if you can spot a combo user a mile away, most likely you can block all of the arrows.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It'd be the same thing all over though. Everyone would learn the combo and people would be able to spot it a mile away. The only difference is there would be a possiblilty of you dying in 1 hit because there was a friggin random. Thats not good gameplay-wise. The majority of players use Goku, Vegeta, and Gohan so those would be the easiest to remember. The others would just be memorized over time.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hmmm well then we can drop the whole one hit kill thing and maybe it could just do a good amount of damage or something like that. i figured, if there was a combo that, at the end the character shot off a signature move then ESF would look pretty bad ass. Plus it would be an attention grabber and people would be like " that was kick ass"

Feel free to add in anything you think should be added or taken out. I'm really pushing for these suggestions to take place.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Again, I love them. I just dont like the idea of dying from 1 hit.

Since the "new combo" would be different for every character, it should do more damage than a regular combo but it shouldn't do a crazy amount of damage. To balance that out, more than 2 hits should be possible (which I think has already been implemented in 1.3).

Best answers
Killa5569 said:
But kenny you dont see the awp removed in competitive play do you? Thats because the game is balanced out.
Well, I am not going to argue with you. BUT, I am the leader of a CAL team for a clan, and have our own server. And guess what...? AWP is banned. I trained my team to use scouts with just as much effectiveness as the AWP. They fire faster, you run faster, and they are more accurate. I didn't say it would be banned from competitive play. I said that it is unbalanced. One hit kills, with a fast bolt action.. not good. If you want to argue this more, which you probably will, use a PM.

Anyways, I still think that idea 2 should just be completely ignored. Anything regaurding a one hit kill.. is just not fun. You could be doing great, then some guy who has been playing for two days comes over.. does a combo... then guess what? Dead. It would be abused by every person that could do it. :/

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kenny83 said:
Well, I am not going to argue with you. BUT, I am the leader of a CAL team for a clan, and have our own server. And guess what...? AWP is banned. I trained my team to use scouts with just as much effectiveness as the AWP. They fire faster, you run faster, and they are more accurate. I didn't say it would be banned from competitive play. I said that it is unbalanced. One hit kills, with a fast bolt action.. not good. If you want to argue this more, which you probably will, use a PM.

Anyways, I still think that idea 2 should just be completely ignored. Anything regaurding a one hit kill.. is just not fun. You could be doing great, then some guy who has been playing for two days comes over.. does a combo... then guess what? Dead. It would be abused by every person that could do it. :/
Well, if you could land all your hit then yes it could be abused. If your opponent blocks two arrows or more, then the combo fails.

It really doesn't have to be a one hit kill. It could do serious damage or it could do alot of damage. Who knows? Im just saying, adding in the combo with a signature move at the end would be cool.

Best answers
Yes, a signature would be awesome. I agree. HOWEVER, this guy says it needs a one hit kill >.<.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's not as bad as the AWP, you have to block every arrow which means you have a pretty big chance to avoid it instant death (unlike the AWP which can kill you through a box at long range).

I like both ideas, although maybe the combo idea should work based on how many arrows you block. Right now if you know the combos you should be able to perfectly block them too. For instance, if I see the the first two arrows of a combo and a random, i'll know what the random is anyway.

So if you block the first two arrows of a three-arrow combo then it'll only do a third of the damage.

Best answers
lol kenny dont go off topic with the awp, besides i could care less if you ban the awp from your pub server. And dont cry when you get awped against in your cal scrim. Oh and for the record, scout is less accurate then awp at long range, it gets random like the deagle. Special heads up for you.. i know the game more then you think.

I think it would be a good idea, that in order for that signature combo to work, instead of having to land *one* arrow, it would require 2 or 3. That would balance it out, and since there will be more combos in 1.3, its going to be harder to spot combos as your playing. I think it will be more fun, because predicting every single arrow against your opponent does get tedious ( besides the randoms ).

Wat

Best answers
Killa5569 said:
I think it would be a good idea, that in order for that signature combo to work, instead of having to land *one* arrow, it would require 2 or 3. ....
I believe KidBoy suggested (three or four times) that, unless, by some lucky chance, every arrow in the combo went through as a hit, it would be blocked completely; that's how I interpreted it, but I guess I may be wrong.

I don't really see the comparison between a rifle that acts as a one-hit kill and this suggestion. Whereas the rifle (AWP) has no direct counteraction aside from evasion (you can't "block" the shot, and it's effective through many objects), combos give the attacked player nearly-equal chance to retaliate -- it's why even "pros" can't always go unscathed in 1.2. Imagine if there was no reaction to advanced melee, instead only giving the attacker a set amount of time to perform their unblockable combos (hmm...I smell a suggestion).

At current advanced melee speeds, nearly everyone can block at least one out of 5+ green hits (including my dad, who hasn't played a video game since Nintendo 64 came out). Even moving a little bit quicker (I configure my LAN servers for shorter arrow delay with same stun time if I don't use the advanced_melee config.), and even without paying attention, most people can manage to block just one of the hits if they're aware of the fact that the arrows are there and they need to match them.

After all that, like I said earlier -- if the combos require numbers of arrows that rank in the "extreme" (upwards of 7 or so) and each arrow has an 85% chance of being obvious to the other person -- I don't really see much of a problem making a difficult combo a nearly an instant-kill. I still stand by my "attacking ki" idea from earlier, though, and I'll organize my thoughts and make a suggestion sometime later today.

Probably after I do my homework.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom