Coding!!!

Best answers
Sorry thats more books and software that you pay for to learn.

Best answers
If your not in high school yet, in my school we have classes for C++, try taking those classes.
Or stay w/ books is your best bet, because who would make a tutorial that is 400 pages online for free?

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Real coding must be learned over a long period of time, preferably at a school, a tut won't give you what you want.

Best answers
Don't buy books and plan to learn on your own, it won't work out.

Take a class, its the only really good way to get help so you _know_ what your doing. And not just remember it, you have to understand it inside and out to truly be able to write code.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's also important to mention that once you understand the logic of coding, 75% of the battle is behind you. Unfortunately, that can't be book taught. You will learn all the other things, including syntax with time and practice, but if you can't think in the way you computer will try to understand the code you are writing, you won't be able to do anything with the syntax you learn ;)

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I wish learning to code was that easy. :p
Buying huge books and reading them doesn't always work best... most of them are hard to understand. Taking classes like everyone said is probably the best way to do it.
We have C++ classes at my school, but I don't have the prerequisites to take 'em yet, I'm still in Visual Basic. ;)

P.S. - Glenn! That's my avatar from your forum! G13/\//\/ 57013d /\/\y 4\/474r! *hits Glenn with a stick*

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hmm... you'd think a thread that's about coding would be in the Coding section o_O

*MOVED*

Best answers
Yea I believe that I can take classes for coding at my school, so the best coding language I can take is C++ if I want to use it for half life right? Silly me thinking that half life would have its own coding language. Okay thank you all for you help and sorry blade for not closing my tread like dmz did...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
no, Half-Life (and ESF) is written in C++
almost 80% of all programs are coded in C++ ... it's the most used language

Best answers
the difficulty of learning c++ varies depending on the person, some people might be independent learners and they can learn from books or tutorials. some ppl might need a course to learn better.

anyway, there are plenty of free online tutorials, try this one for instance:
http://cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yeah u really just need to take a class on it

★ Black Lounger ★
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
Well im not saying that im a good coder...cuz im still very bad.. but i know all the basics of halflife so i can code for halflife

i learned it by READING (not copy paste) tutorials made for halflife... then i had some help from some coders like jc pcjoe and harSens thay gave me some directions AFTER i learned some basics..

i can make a basic shoot em up mod now :D

Best answers
wow thats depressing. I though i could just buy a book and be coding mods for HL within the week :D:D im joking, but you say that its almost impossible to leanr to code without taking classes? that IS depressing because my high school doesnt have them and ive never even heard of any available lessons. I will try with a book for now and if that works then i will laugh at all you people who cant learn from books :p

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
nah you don't need classes although i can think its handier maybe. I never took classes to learn code anyway you just need a good book and patience

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom