Club WWESF: The Wrestling Thread (Somebody call my momma)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
More often than not, I bring up wrestling now and again, and usually, whatever thread I do it in seems to veer offtopic pretty easily, especially if it's Cuc who I'm shooting the **** with over it. I don't really have a lot of friends who are equally into WWE with me, so occasionally when I bring it up here and others start talking about it, I usually end up spilling my guts.

So instead of doing that, I figured I'd make a thread dedicated to discussing the WWE shows and games.

Here's some guidelines to preferably follow:
  1. I made this thread for people who like wrestling, so we could discuss it here. If you hate wrestling, think it's stupid or sucky or whatever else, don't post here. The thread isn't titled, "hey, come tell me wrestling's stupid" or whatever else, so don't bother.
  2. Discussing how fake it is, or how dumb we are for watching it, falls into the above categories. So don't bring any of that up either.
I'll start things off by mentioning that I recently read that Smackdown 6 for PS2 will be out sometime in November. I LOVE the smackdown games, but they're keeping it under wraps. They say that there is "one MAJOR gameplay feature" that's been added that they are being super hush-hush about. I'm wondering if it's online play? I mean, what the hell else is there? Then again, the bastards haven't even mentioned or HINTED AT a roster. I hope they don't screwjob the roster again this year...last year's game had a lot of sucky roster problems.

I also hear through the grapevine that PS2's online service will be free, or something to that effect. If it's free, I will be getting that **** in a heartbeat. Me and my friends even kept our own federation, with a board for trash talk and promo stuff and like 30 created wrestlers.

We did realistic stats, though. There's nothing worse than some ****ing ****headed kid with smackdown five who hacked his way to max stats on his CAW and was impossible to hurt. My CAW is only a 75, actually. I find the matches to be a lot better when your characters are comparable. I fought a kid once one night and was pretty confident until I saw his CAW's stats versus mine. Still, I managed to--with my one 75 overall CAW left from a team of 3--beat his team in the last match. How I did it, I don't know...the small package made an appearance, though.

Our characters had full blown personalities. The way they acted and stuff, it was pretty crazy back when we used to have the boards.

We even kept track of the titles and rivalries. We had a couple of sweet factions, too. AND we had dual commissioners, me and my friend. My friend had full power over everything on the weekends...man he used to screw us over.

I got him good. One night he stayed over during the week with some others, and I forced him to defend his World Title like 17 times in a row. He ****ing kept it. lol

We even had our own title with special rules. It was invented by the co-commissioner, and he called it "The American All-Star" title. At first we thought it was going to be a piece of crap belt no one wanted but it turned out everyone wanted it. The rules associated with it were weird but simple: anytime you lost in any match by any means, you lost the title. So like, if you got thrown out during a battle royal...you lose it to whoever threw you out. In the Royal Rumble it once changed hands like 14 times. lol

Also--I missed Smackdown this week. How was Undertaker/Cena?

Best answers
Even Though i can"t stand the undertaker (Icky)^^ This match was actually a damn good main-event, as I would venture to say it was easily better than any of the encounters these two had during their feud in 2003 which was boring and annoying . Each man at least attempted all of their big spots and the Undertaker brought back the palming of the face move that he used so often during his original run with the Deadman gimmick.

Cena used the Throwback for a change and actually used it in combination with the Five-Knuckle Shuffle for a near-fall. Speaking of near-falls, there were quite a few of them. And the crowd was pretty hyped up for this match, yet also torn between the two since there both just about fan favorites in my oppion (But Cena Pretty much had the edge, though).

And what made me madder is the dumb commerical break that happen about 5 or 7 mins into the match , but that is to be expected. Anyhow, the climax of the match saw the typical ref-bump. Cena hit the FU, but there was no referee to make the count. Then the Undertaker hit Cena with a chokeslam, but there was still no ref to make the count. To my surprise, the finish saw Taker nail Cena in the face with his own padlock chain necklace (CMV1 note- surprising because the Deadman gimmick doesn't usually require the use of foreign objects to win.

Not to say that I'm not happy that the WWE decided to do this, though, as there's no sense in having your US Champ job clean right before the PPV). The ref came to and The Undertaker defeated John Cena with the Tombstone PileDriver and the match was about 22:15 seconds long so it was a pretty damn good, long main-event. The show faded to black for the third straight week with the Undertaker doing his classic "paying homage to the urn" pose for the former Paul E. guy Dangerously. So yea i enjoyed the match it was one of the best smackdown"s in 04 so far ^_^.

Anyway i didnt know it was new Smackdown Game coming out i love the smackdown series but that title sounds kinda weird Smackdown 6 i thought the name was actually Smackdown vs Raw but maybe thats a whole diffrent game i guess. I just hope they keep the story mode flowing the way they have it in the previous games since i dont know anyone who likes wrestling and i have to play 1 player most of the time and cpu stops being challenging after a while.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Smackdown replays on saturdays at 10pm on a local station here, so I'll let you know.

If SDvR is online, I'm joining your gaming group, period. I do have 2 caws with 90 OVR, but there is backstory to it from an old RPG I used to play. The rest are in the 70-80 range. Sadly, I rarely play with freinds, I usually abuse story mode like a whore.

It is actually Smackdown vs Raw, the title was revealed at E³, so it's no secret.

I was hoping that they would have HD support and MP3 Rippage, but it seems they are concentrating on things the fans haven't been crying for.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
hey saiyan chaos.. are you referring to playing online with smackdown 5?

*caw.. and all that other jazz*...

anywho i love wrstling *raw*.. i dont care too much for smacdown

But raw is the shizzle... Eugene almost had Triple H monday.. it was fun to watch

Best answers
Ice Man said:
hey saiyan chaos.. are you referring to playing online with smackdown 5?

smackdown 5 is gonna be online?!?!!?!??!!!!! if it is its for all the systems expect gamecube right?

Best answers
Catman said:
smackdown 5 is gonna be online?!?!!?!??!!!!! if it is its for all the systems expect gamecube right?

Nope its not on any system except PS2..which sucks since cubey is my favorite system now ^^

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
smackdown 5 is Here comes the pain...

I wonder if he is talking about playing online... cuz i never saw taht option

Smackdown 6 is Raw vs Smackdown

*GOOOO RAW* XD

Best answers
Ice Man said:
smackdown 5 is Here comes the pain...

I wonder if he is talking about playing online... cuz i never saw taht option

Smackdown 6 is Raw vs Smackdown

*GOOOO RAW* XD
I seriously doubt it.....maybe the next xbox wwe game installment will have it but most likely the PS2 wont or neither will the GC wwe game either. Also i think he stated that he wondered if it had on online play in his paragraph so i dont think he actually meant it was going to have online play ^^

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh, Sakura. Never would have figured you the type!

To clarify a couple of things:

Smackdown 5 is the current one, and no, it doesn't have online play. THey haven't said anything about SDvR's possibility of online play, but IGN says that they have a "strong hunch," and the company's announced that there is some HUGE gameplay revelation but won't tell what it is, so that's my guess.

Oh, for the record, I just called it Smackdown 6. The actual title given was Smackdown Vs. Raw. Me and my friends say them by the numbers, so that was my fault. :0\

That game is amazing, man. The gameplay, the style, the amount of stuff they cram on the one disc. The create-a-wrestler is phenomenal. Our characters, we had over 30 of them, and they were practically alive.

You guys've never played with other people? Aw man!! You don't know what you're missing!! I've never played with 6 players at once except for one time, though I have the necessary adapter for it--but even with just four or five, it's crazy. It is AWESOME to get a big six way going.

It's too bad, though. Some of the control interface seemed like a step backward from the last game. Seemed like some old problems came back (things like the arrows being bugged...the arrows were PERFECT in the SD4!) They also made the taunt button also call in your tag partner...whoops, Yukes. lol I described it to my friends as, "It's like they made this one out of Part 3 instead of Part 4."

And wtf was up with the CAW stats...and not being able to edit them after? I think in the beginning they should ask you if you want to make a CAW in Season Mode or in Multiplay mode so that you can have fair stats. My codebreaker is so wrecked it probably won't work on the new one. That had BETTER be changed.

Still SO good, though! If it was to go online, we could join up, Cuc--and DOMINATE. lol

20 minute matches on Smackdown? Wow. And I missed it. :0\

I don't normally mind missing Smackdown but now that Undertaker is back I'm really kind of torn.

I'm kind of torn by the Undertaker's weird gimmick mix now anyhow. He does all the Deadman stuff--which is awesome for me--but he still fights like the Biker style Undertaker mostly. I guess I shouldn't *****--in a way, he is doing the best of both worlds. His offense was kind of yawn-inducing back in the day, compared to now.

When Undertaker retires, I have this retarded fantasy that, before he goes, they'll have some storyline where some young new guy becomes sort of a new Undertaker, and does all the same stuff. Like, the original Undertaker would do some **** and make some young new hotshot the new version of the character in the storylines.

Ah well. At least we get to keep Kane for another few years. That ought to satsify my "chokeslam guy" craving.

Is it just me, or does Batista suck? He keeps botching moves....

You know they are getting sued over this Eugene thing? I guess some guy used to have a show where they had a "mentally challenged" Eugene character. I guess the guy claims not only did they steal the character, but they stole the whole story of what happens to him, too. I think it's a load of crap, personally...asking a guy to portray a retard, well--chances are he's going to seem a lot like other retards out there, no?

Best answers
lol Sounds Fun!! I really need to find some people to play multiplayer with even if it just 1 on 1, anything to keep me from playing Boring, no Skill CPUs again. I even do handicap matches with them like 1 vs 3 and still manage to beat them. And yea i agree 100% with the fact that Some of the control interface seemed like a step backward from the last game.

Also everytime yukes make a new smackdown game they add new things and take away a few as well and i really dont like that. I really wish they would fix and add some of the simple things that shouldve stayed or been put in from the Old Previous Smackdown games surely they"ve Learned by now. Like in Smackdown 3 where you were able to get in the crowd section, that was removed. In Smackdown 4, if you were wrestling in the smackdown arena and you ran back up the ramp where the smackdown fist logo was you could climb to the top of the fist above the arena and wrestle, jump and throw people off from up there.

And whats with the tabels, i love the table matches myself, but you still have to pick up the tabel and hit them with it just to lay them on there, i personally wanna be able to set a tabel up in the center of the ring, climb the oppsite side of the latter as my oppnet and suplex him off through a table not slap him on it, grab him , stand up on the table and powerdrive or powerbomb. And i never liked Smackdown Create-A-Wrestler Mode to much it just wasnt as good as No Mercy or WWE Raw 2 Create-a Wrestler mode.

(By the way whats a code breaker..is that something like a gameshark?!?)

But Overall The Game is still addicting as hell to me ^^ and to fun to put down so i still play it constantly every chance i get. And online play is a Dream, that why i dont subscribe to stuff like xbox live and stuff like that because Sony and Microsoft make great games, but the great games they make are never usally online enabled except the crappy and boring ones.

As for the undertaker, I love the biker gimmic he was just so cool to me that way, every since he went back to the deadman i just dont like him(maybe only true oldschool fans can apprciate the deadman"s Return) but like you said he sometimes still uses his biker fighting style as well as his deadman which is pretty cool if you ask me ^^. And the kane subject,..kane shouldve never removed his mask thats all im gonna say on that overall i like him alot ^^.

Around when Batista joined up with randy, rick and HHH..i use to think he was probally one of the best superstars on raw. But yea now in my oppion as wel he sucks and i dont like him too much.

And The Eugene thing..

http://www.pwtorch.com/artman/publish/article_8662.shtml

....Hmm...No Comment -_-....

CM

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Bad news:

Jericho was really hurt. The ref apparently threw up an X in the commercial break, and thats why Batista backed off and into his corner with a worried face and didnt beat him anymore.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I knew it. Man, I hate Batista. There was this one house show where he somehow managed to bring about like, THREE OR FOUR INJURIES in one match, one of them being his own.

It doesn't help that Jericho is my favorite, either. You guys should have seen me at Royal Rumble 2003--I was at the show live since it was in my hometown, and I was SCREAMING LIKE A MANIAC everytime Jericho went over the rope. Shades of Heenan and Flair in 1992...lol

Does anyone know how badly he's hurt?

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I would have started my own thread, but I think this thread will suit my question...

Who is everyone's top 5 favorite wrestlers of all time?

I'd have to go with...

1. Bret "The Hitman" Hart
2. The Ultima Dragon
3. Eddie Guerrero
4. Booker T.
5. Goldberg

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
1. Ultimate Warrior
2. Razor Ramon
3. Shawn Michaels
4. Papachango
5. Stone Cold

Old school > New school

CM

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, Y2J's head BOUNCED OFF THE MAT and he was immediately knocked out, i'd say he might be hurt for a while, but he might appear at the next show even, dont know.

Best answers
Anyone got some good CAW sites for Smackdown HCTP????

edit : Top 5 wrestlers
1. Bret Hart
2. The Rock
3. Kevin Nash
4. X Pac
5. Goldberg

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
1.) Bret Hart
2.) Chris Benoit
3.) Razor Ramon *not Scott Hall... the old school version of him*
4.) Sting
5.) Juevintude Guerrerro..

the old WcW dayz was fun to watch... *Back in 1995*... then i started watching WWF in 1998... then WWF.. turned to WWE.. and i only watch the raw brand now lol

KyoKusanagi

K
its kinda hard for me since i had a number of favourites so ill mix it into light-heavy, heavy and tag team.

Heavy:
1. Old School Undertaker
2. Bret Hart
3. Chris Benoit
4. Razor Ramon
5. La Parka

Light Heavy:
1. X-Pac
2. Rey Mysterio Jr
3. Ultimo Dragon
4. Psychosis
5. Tajiri

Tag Teams:
1. Legion Of Doom - Animal and Hawk
2. X-pac and Kane
3. New Age Outlaws - Jesse James and Billy Gunn
4. Hardy Boyz - Matt and Jeff Hardy
5. Kaientai - Taka Michinoku and Sho Funaki (just the way they got owned every week but managed to pull off some awesome moves)

In regards to the PS2 online gaming - yes it is free but certain games that require online maintentance like MMORPGs have a yearly subscription fee.

Smackdown 5 was my favourite in the series as i really couldn't fault it - with the exception of missing entrance music for the WWE legends. The control system has been the best yet and the countering system is a dream to use.

The only thing i would add is more variation to the way weapons can be used. I agree wholeheartedly with Sakura regarding the tables, but one thing i'd love to do is to wedge a chair into the turnbuckle and irish whip people into it - things like that to add variety to the game.

As far as my CAW goes - he's got a OVR 81 and thats as far as i plan to take him i may later choose to increase his speed a notch but then he'd be far too powerful, and therefore no fun to use.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
In SD5, you CAN throw guys into the corner tables. I love to use my gore on them--not animated but still fun. lol

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Out of curiosity, what finishers does your favorite caw use?

My favorite tag team duo, Skull and Sissy (yes, a girl caw), were champion street fighters before entering the WWE (according to my little story for them). Skull uses the Roddy Piper Strike (three punches followed by the big last punch that makes the other wrestler fly) and the people's elbow (which is the $10,000 elbow for Skull, because he has an adverisement on his elbow pad and get's paid 10G's for dropping it as a promotional gimmick). Sissy has the Widow's Peak and the often whored Shining Wizard Suite of moves. She calls the Shining wizard the "real deal" and loves to bust heads open with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom