Cleaning up the forums/database

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Seeing as how many people who register on the ESF forums only ask a few questions then never come on again, i was thinking, why not delete them. im sure this could clear up alot fo space.

Seeing as how you guys have 16,966 members (congrats by the way) im sure about more then half don't even post on the forums anymore.

One way to go about and deleting people is delete the people who haven't been active in almost a year or so. Since 2006 is new you could go all the way back to the beginning of 2005 or 2004. Some people are obvious when thet make an account, ask a question, and never come back on again.

The second way of going about this, is people who have no or very very little post counts AND have not been active in half a year or so. Little or no post counts could be anything from 50 posts and down.

Im sure if this were to happen then the database would be happy and be able to run more smoothly.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
6539 members have a post count of 0. I'm sure nobody would miss them. I'm aware there are a couple of examples of active members with a post count of 0 (Annie, Soul Punisher, Lid) so how about those who've been inactive for six months or longer get the chop?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
exactly what I stated in my post above. Those people could be missed and Im sure the forums would start acting a little better if those people were gone. And besides, its not hard making a new account anyways.

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
its not THAT much of a burden for a database though. So just keep it as it is.
also, what if anyone decides to come back someday? :p

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Then they can make a new account.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Zeonix said:
Then they can make a new account.
Zeo for the win.

And DJ, anything Im sure helps out the database. It seems the left for a reason but if they truely want to come back, then they can make a new account.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Until I am asked to do so by one of the senior development staff (Masta, harS, Greg, etc.), I will not be deleting any inactive accounts. No exceptions.

I would wager that the other administrators would follow suit.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Majin_You said:
Until I am asked to do so by one of the senior development staff (Masta, harS, Greg, etc.), I will not be deleting any inactive accounts. No exceptions.

I would wager that the other administrators would follow suit.
Well I wish those guys were more active so they could read this suggestion. Maybe you or one of the admins or mods could bring it up in a team meeting sometime.

I just hate how people are inconsiderate of the team and the database.... GRRRR!!!!! *waves angry fist!*

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
KidBoy17 said:
Well I wish those guys were more active so they could read this suggestion. Maybe you or one of the admins or mods could bring it up in a team meeting sometime.

I just hate how people are inconsiderate of the team and the database.... GRRRR!!!!! *waves angry fist!*
I was asked to send emails out to certain blocks of inactive accounts some time ago under the pretense that some accounts might be deleted. It obviously was not a pressing issue, as I was not told to do anything further (that, and I don't trust the forum mailer completely).

I would assume that, if it were an issue, Masta and/or other team members may have approached the administrators again. However, if you would sincerely like this brought up to some of the senior dev. team, that can be arranged (just don't expect anything to happen rapidly, should Masta and the others choose to set the administration in motion on this again. The process, in and of itself, is a slow one).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I like the idea.

I really don't see how it could hurt, if it's done sensibly.

Any improvement in the database's performance is welcome, even though I'm quite happy with it as it is now.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
KidBoy17 said:
I would love it if this idea could get sent to the senior dev team. Tell me what I have to do, to get this done.
You've done everything you need to. The administration is aware of your suggestion and I, as the go-between for the forum staff and the dev team, will mention this at the earliest possible juncture. You needn't worry further >_o

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Uhm, I personally think its a very bad idea, having loads of incactive forum members DONT hurt ANYONE.

Infact if some nOOb looks and sees allot of registrations he thinks the place is populer and is maybe more likly that he'l stay.

IMO.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
DJ-Ready said:
its not THAT much of a burden for a database though. So just keep it as it is.
also, what if anyone decides to come back someday? :p
Belive me! when esf 1.3 comes out !!! the forum amount will triple fourple fithple or wtf , but !! (and not ass ) it woud bee cool to send a email to all that haven't posted at all to say : "DuDe u registred to teh forum ! COOL but now u have to say something or else u're acc will be deleted "

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The suggestion was brought up before the dev. team, and it was decided that, at this point in time, there does not need to be a clearing of inactive members. Unless they all decide to start browsing the forums again, there is not going to be any slowdown caused by the fact that they are registered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom