Cleaning up Beams?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I hate to rock the boat, but I think something needs to be done structurally about the beams as far as their behavior is concerned. They look fancy and nice when mono-e-monom, but when you start beam jumping and beam struggling, things get ugly graphically. I love the system, don't get me wrong, but there is much work needed.

I realize the beamtrails are only lofted sprites in a visually tricking "+" shape with a head generating the trail, but this system for generating the beam trail is far from perfect.

Try beaming someone and guiding it around: nice smooth and DBZ-like.

Try a beam-struggle with multiple turnings of the tables: really dirty beam trails that change direction instead of staying flux with the beam head like it should be.

I know the trails can adjust themselves, I see it all the time in beam-jumping. So would it be possible to create a rule for the beamtrails to be incapable certain degrees of angular change and/or Making key points of the beams adjust themselves to avoid one key point taking too much angle?

Secondly, I find it unrealistic that a beam will instantly disappear after ending. Is it possible to fade them out like the teleport effect? It can't be much more compicated...

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
And dont forget when you are in strugle in the air your legs look like it is in ground :| I hope that will be fixed :)

Best answers
yup, ur right. Beamstrugglin has always bothered me, so I often avoid it. As for beam jumping, Its actually quite impossible for your beam to become a straight line unless your right next to the wall or on the ground, otherwise it will 99.99% of the time be slightly or severely shifted, as depicted in beamstruggles as well.
I think beamstruggling should have a sort of individual beam strugglin system, made specifically to execute once a beamstruggle has started, and lets say.. discreetly shift the beams into a straight DBZish power struggle, instead of the weird twisted up beams we see in ESF. It sounds stupid but I cant think of anything else.

Best answers
did I mention 3d sprites?
something about there being too much lag?
I dont dont.. but maybe these 3d sprites will provide some solutions.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Its already been done for 1.3, we call it "rubber band effect" where the beam will try its best to go straight again, in powerstruggles it works wonders, but when trying to shoot a beam at an opponent, it isnt so great so it might only be included for beam struggles and beam jumps, or maybe just a really watered down version for just firing.

not to sure about the beam fading... we'll see :x

btw... powerstruggling in 1.3 is completely different, just so you know.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ah good! Glad to hear you guys are really thinking of improvements! Can't wait to see it for myself...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom