Civilizations IV

Best answers
Discuss the game

I have seen many great reviews on gamespot, gamespy, and IGN on it, and bought it, but the minimum resolution is 1024x768 :(

my geforce4 mx can't do that res at a decent framerate, even on lowest.

Well discuss what you think about the game, and if anyone knows how i could maybe drop the resolution through config files or something menction it please.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I was going to make a thread about this game, but just couldn't due to how disappointed I was with it.

First off, I followed the game ever since it was first announced and bought the game the first day it came out. It got rave reviews and everyone seemed to love it, plus it was Civilization IV, sequel to my favorite game of all time, Civ 2. What could possibly make me NOT like this game? Lets just say they added useless, confusing unnecessary features, the music just stops playing for 5 seconds every 10 seconds for me, I get a horrible horrible frame rate, the animations on the units just... skip for me, the mouse moves slow as hell and the graphics are horrible. What’s funny is my computer is above the minimum requirements and even has most of the recommended requirements.

To be honest, Civilization 2 is my favorite game of all time. Civ 4 though just ruined the whole series. Civ used to be the game everyone could play, no matter how bad your computer was. They should have realized that that’s one of the things that made Civ great. Instead, they decided go with a 3d engine which no one can run and doesn't even look good....

Another thing I don't like about the game is that they overcomplicated it. They added way to many unnecessary features that, to be honest, I have a hard time understanding, partly due to the horrible interface. There were some nice touches to the game though. The intro was awesome, main menu music was pretty good and I liked the fact that units spoke in their native tongue. Also the fact that they took music from the previous game and updated them a bit, that was a nice touch.

Bottom line: The game is loaded with bugs and wasn't ready for release. Instead of improving the game, they just added a bunch of useless and confusing features that aren’t needed in order for the game to be fun….

'Nuff said?

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My computer ran Civ 4 fine. I thought it was pretty good.. I've never played the Civ series before, but I have played Alpha Centauri, which was extremely similar. I didn't notice any bugs at all.. Didn't have enough scenarios, though.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SailorAlea said:
My computer ran Civ 4 fine. I thought it was pretty good.. I've never played the Civ series before, but I have played Alpha Centauri, which was extremely similar. I didn't notice any bugs at all.. Didn't have enough scenarios, though.
Don't you have a super computer though ;). My computer is only mid range, nothing too good, nothing too bad.

By the way, it could have used more scenarios, but it atleast had more scenarios then its predecessors. Civ I had no scenarios, Civ II had two, WWII in Europe and Rome and Civ III originally had no scenarios, but an expansion pack added 7 or 8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom