City of Heroes

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hey guys. I was wondering, how many of you will be playing or trying out, City of Heroes? You can get into the Beta (which starts the 23rd, I believe) by buying the 10$ pre-order box. It comes with a 10$ coupon for the retail version of the game, to be released on April 28th, I think?

There are some advantages to being in the beta--like a special sprint animation (universal power), you get to start on the official servers 3 days before retail, and reserve one name for launch.

It's a MMORG about superheroes, it looks awesome. Too bad, I don't think anime-ish heroes will be included, but you can be a Ninja (no ninpou, sorry naruto fans. lol)

I look forward to CoH being released--so, will you try it?

p.s. I'm glad they released the official beta version, their forums had so many damned "WHEN'S THE BETA" threads, it's sick.

Hsu

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I dont know... I heard that you can only be a hero at first then need to buy the villian expantion later... In my mind it seems like a rip off.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
City of Heroes is focused around cooperation between players to defeat a common foe. That's why it's called "City of Heroes." Not "city of heroes (p.s. and villains too.)"

They said they might add Villains in a later expansion, but Aura (one of the devs/forum mods) says they're probably not going to add it. People should check it out, it's very customizable, they said 2.24 x 10 ^23 different costume combinations, for instance.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yeah i saw it a while back, looks sweet, i should be coming into sum money soon, so i might try it. Its a monthly fee isnt it? anyway, looks sweet anyway

Best answers
I bought my pre-order disc a few weeks ago. I've been waiting on this game for like, 3 years now. I remember reading up on this back when I was in high school. Less than a week, and I _better_ get an invite.

Best answers
My one big question is

Do you have to make regular payments?

Best answers
Yeah. It's going to be like.. anywhere from 12 to 15 a month, from what I've gathered. That's a turn-off for some, but I'd rather pay 15 a month on a game I like than 50 a month on games I don't.

Best answers
I'd rather just pay a buttload of cash when I buy the game personally. I'm never going to buy a game that requires me to make on-going payements.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Then you're going to miss out on some of the most fun, and addicting games ever made, Bihal.

Best answers
I was thinkin about this game, but im just gonna wait patiently for WoW instead

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Bihal said:
I'd rather just pay a buttload of cash when I buy the game personally. I'm never going to buy a game that requires me to make on-going payements.
That will change when you turn 18 and have the money, and the game is worth it.

I'd pay 50 bucks a month for World of Warcraft, for instance.

Best answers
If i get enough money and maybe a part-time job, i might try it
seems kinda neat

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The game looks cool, and I may try it out for a month or so, but I doubt it'll keep me entertained for longer than that. Most MMORPG's don't :/ . Haven't tried WoW yet, but it seems to kick ass, I'll have to look into that as well.

Best answers
I have played the beta of this before the release... all in all I don't think it will go far... The entire bases of it revolves around the aspect of... hey you'r hero looks cool... other then that its nothing more but spells and abilitys... there are No items in the game to get as in armor weapons and so on... that I belive will be the downfall of this game... what they were thinking of I guess is the non hardcore gamer by not adding items... MY OPINON and MINE ONLY I think that they were being lazy and just wanted a game to rush out to grab people who are interested in MMORPG's at this time... they will regret not putting items in.. because what will be your modivation to kill the "big boss" in the game nothing more then recognition at first then it will just fall apart due to the lack of no equipment... but we shale see how it turns out in a few expantions...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I buy the credit cards. 40 bucks nets you three months. It's cheaper by way of the payments, but I don't like having a bank account, so the cards work better for me.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Panther#1 said:
I have played the beta of this before the release... all in all I don't think it will go far... The entire bases of it revolves around the aspect of... hey you'r hero looks cool... other then that its nothing more but spells and abilitys... there are No items in the game to get as in armor weapons and so on... that I belive will be the downfall of this game... what they were thinking of I guess is the non hardcore gamer by not adding items... MY OPINON and MINE ONLY I think that they were being lazy and just wanted a game to rush out to grab people who are interested in MMORPG's at this time... they will regret not putting items in.. because what will be your modivation to kill the "big boss" in the game nothing more then recognition at first then it will just fall apart due to the lack of no equipment... but we shale see how it turns out in a few expantions...
It's been in development for like four years. What do you mean, they rushed it out just to snag casual MMO players? They even, at two points that I remember distinctly, redid the whole thing from scratch because they came up with better ways to do what they wanted to do.

The powers are like the items. Besides--from what I heard, the battle they closed the beta test with was awesome. If they do stuff like that some more, I'd be more than happy to play.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Panther#1 said:
Wow, you're obviously a newbie who didn't play CoH very much.

There are "items to get, as in armor weapons and so on."

They're called Enhancements, and you go from training ones, to moderate and then the highly sought after Double and Single Origin enhancements.

I'm sorry, but SuperHeroes don't need to continually get new swords and metal to stick to their bodies.

If you go into it expecting an EverQuest clone, that's not what you're going to find.

NCsoft didn't really create the game for jackasses to powerlevel through the whole game, or griefers to come and try to destroy newbies. So, to all jackasses: Don't try this game, it's not for the likes of you.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Amen, Praise Lord.

I can't wait until the expansion pack comes out. Hehe.

Is it out today? I heard it went live on the 28th...I plan on buying it asap. Normally I'd be worried that an MMO would be horrifically bugged, and would never buy it on release, but the simple fact is, it's been in beta so long I'm confident that it will function reasonably.

Best answers
Well lets think about this.... I don't know about you all but if I play a game that is this repetative I get bored... the novalty wears off in about a week or two max... because like I said at the end of the day there is Zero modivation... once you reach your max lvl (if you do considering it takes forever to level up in this game... a week to lvl to lvl 9) I don't enjoy playing a game where everyone is the same and for the people who like to have somthing that tells other that they play they game more and play it enough to win an item (like an epic or somthing along thoughs lines in EQ) this game provides nothing in that area... you can only enjoy the charecter creation screen so many times before you lose interest... But if you like games where you never get items and your Charecter never changes his looks (unless they add costume change in the game like I think they are planning to) then this is for you... but personaly I like having a charecter that shows my experience that only the expert players can copy then have some new person go onto the costume change and come out looking Just like me with no effert at all... I wont be playing this game but if you like all that nothing against you... My interests are just a lot different.

By the way I thought that the statement "abilitys" would cover the fact that you can buy inhancements... but bottem line is you can only inhance your spells so much before they stop getting better... the spells never change their looks and takes a lot of enhancments to get your spells to do more dmg... example... 4 lvl 15++ dmg inhancers moved my fire blast on my Blaster from 19 to 30 so not much of a difference considering you have to wait two lvl's to add another enhancment slot or wait even longer to combine them together again if they are not already maxed....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom