Chrome vs Firefox, want personal opinions.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Firefox has a plugin that can save you from crashing, just like Chromes.

I guess it's just the PC Mod lover in me that makes FireFox feel like home.

Also, can't uninstall IE Completely, some websites require it, like Windows Update, and a few rare others I've found, like Comcast to install, requires it, too.

Sucks, but you cannot remove IE unless you hack the File-system to remove it(butcher it), so yeah.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Feature-wise, IE8 is almost the same as Firefox. It might lack one or two advanced features, but pertaining to its usage, there's hardly a difference. The reason Firefox is appealing to most people is probably its vast library of addons, otherwise Internet Explorer does an adequate job. I only ever think of Firefox when I need to do something very specific under very specific circumstances, requiring an addon that Internet Explorer might not have. Otherwise, IE8 is fine. To be honest, I don't care if IE8 is shattered underneath. It brings me the web pages I want to view, it does it plenty fast, and it never gives me any ****. That's all I can ask. I can't say I've recently been to a website in IE8 that didn't load properly or "fell apart." All that being said, I used Firefox for many years and it truly is a great browser. I just stopped seeing the point in going out of my way to install a new browser that appeals to the same general needs as my current one.

If I have something I specifically need Firefox for, I'll usually install it. Otherwise, it's not really worth my time.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You...actually...choose to use IE8, with knowledge that there are better & superior ones?

:O

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You actually chose not to read a single relevant word of my post?

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Spunky but that's just the gist of it. You can look at those sites BECAUSE the creators broke their backs trying to make them compatible. If every web developer decided to stop doing tons of extra work just to satisfy IE, then you'll be left with a handful of sites you can visit, mostly the ones in some way related to mictosoft.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I still don't really care. It works, it does what I need it to, and until it doesn't, I don't see a reason to switch unless I specifically need Firefox for some reason. Simple, reasonable. I don't feel any different than before.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Damn, well, I've been using Chrome and I somewhat like it better. I have a rather higher end machine and it runs a little bit faster. I'm getting used to the look and I'm certainly enjoying it.

I might give IE9 a spin though, keeping in mind it's in Beta. So far though, Google Chrome definitely is appealing to me.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
All browsers do their work well. So it basically boils down to preference.

I have been using Firefox for ages now. Change is always scary.

King of the Hello Kitty Fanclub
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Spunky but that's just the gist of it. You can look at those sites BECAUSE the creators broke their backs trying to make them compatible. If every web developer decided to stop doing tons of extra work just to satisfy IE, then you'll be left with a handful of sites you can visit, mostly the ones in some way related to mictosoft.
As an actual web developer (not sure how many others use this forum), I can say that I've never broken my back making a website compatible for IE8, I have had very very minor issues making sites work for IE7 and I have had extreme issues making a website work for IE6, but never had a single issue rendering an ASP webpage in IE8. So I don't think it's fair to say that for the majority of users who do use IE7+, that they aren't that greatly impacting on web developers and making them cry themselves to sleep.

If however, Spunky was an IE6 user, the hate being thrown about would be warranted. IE6, which is mostly used by corporations that refuse to upgrade software, ever. Is the bane of the web developers' existence. Nothing that renders in any other browser, will render in IE6 without some kind of issue, and most of these issues have to be (unfortunately) fixed with CSS hacks to render specific IE6 styling.

I'll stop before I get into an IE6 hate rage...

Anyway, like I said before, browser choice is really up to personal preference, they all inherently do the exact same thing, which is convert html markup into a web page. Whether you like loads of addons for absolutely everything you can imagine, or whether you like a clean, neat, blank interface, or if you really couldn't give a stuff and are happy with the default that your OS installs, browser choice is really negligible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom