Chess and Intelligence

Best answers
What do you guys think about Chess?
Do you think it really shows your true intelligence(IQ)?
Do you think it makes you smarter?

Post away

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't think chess shows your true intelligence because well, you can be smart in many different things. You could be horrible at chess, yet know everything there is to know about quantum physics.

Anyways, Chess is fun. I don't actually play too much, I used to play a lot more when I was smaller, but I still enjoy it when I do play. I was actually fairly good for my age, but well........lets just say i'm not like I used to be. I've been thinking about getting back into it though.

Oh ya, my dad also has this sweet ass chess set made out of some sort of marble or something, I can't remember now. But the whole thing was handcrafted, he got it from......uhh..............bah! Taiwan I think, but I can't remember that now either. Oh well, it's pretty sweet anyways.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Personally, I like chess. very few people do in my school so its hard, but when I get a game its indeed fun.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I pwned in chess during my primary school years. What more can I say, make smart moves and then you got them where you want. You can always tease someone if you take there Queen :D, however if you lose you bring shame to your kingdom, & no one likes a loser :(.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I learned the 4 move checkmate start, and I havent lost much thereafter, even though its so easy to counter.

Not that I play anymore...

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i had that done on me a while ago. lost the chess comp. it was the first round btw.

The funny thing is, is that on my report, it states:
Anthony has had a keen interest in the Chess Competition this year, and has performed quite well.

Best answers
It's possible to do it in 2 or 3, I think.... Very humilating -_- Chess is about strategy, and is designed to follow some clear-cut rules... So no, it doesn't make you smarter.

Casual player, mainly cuz noone wants to play at my school. I have Star Wars chess for dos (or windows 3.1 ...) ^_^

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Four is the minimum, unless your opponent is exeedingly stupid/suicidal.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I like to play it every now and then, and I don't usually lose (primarily because I drag out the game long enough for my opponent to get sick of playing >> )

I wouldn't say it makes you smarter, but to be good at it you have to spend time thinking things through in a logical manner, which is a habit that carries over into life I think

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I was on a chess team in high school that was good but strange. We wore Degeneration X t-shirts to meets, got disqualified for cursing, and gave the 'Suck It' sign to teams we beat. Heh. Good old days.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
~edited for mild retardation~
~Get back under the bridge, Troll~
~Cucumba~

Best answers
Awww, Kurt! That was mean, you meany meany meany head! I almost said 'hard' ...that would have been awkard.

Anyways.

Personally, I find giving the 'Suck it' sign to a defeated Chess team is freakin' brilliant, but hey - that's just me. XD

Edit: I just realized this was an off topic post, so:

Do I think it shows your true intelligence? That depends on in -what way- you are intelligent. For some people, it might. Others, it may not serve them justice. So I honestly think that it varies from person to person. ^^

Also, "Does it make you smarter?" I think the game has traits in which you can learn from, definitely. Thinking multiple moves ahead, can be referred to "knowing the consequences" if you feel my drift.

Best answers
Though 4 days old i'll comment.

Love chess, been playing for a good 8 years now when my grandfather showed me. the 4 move checkmate is named after the blitzkrieg rush which was a military move. It doesn't work if either

A) the king's pawn is moved upward
B) Queen's knight is moved
C) kings knight is moved twice

sadly was on the chess team. Went to "states" and came in 3rd. Was pissed about it too since i caused a stalemate on the first place guy. Son of a ***** got my king cornered and he stupidly got it so my king couldn't move..w00t w00t but then i lost next match. Anyway, i would be more than happy to face anyone in online chess or chess for that matter. Message me and i have a program that can set us up or we can use yahoo.

Best answers
Future_SSJGohan said:
What do you guys think about Chess?
Do you think it really shows your true intelligence(IQ)?
Do you think it makes you smarter?

Post away
A decent amount of intelligence is one of the requirements for a good chess player. Ofcourse you also need lots and lots of practise.

I have been playing at chess clubs for about 10 years now. Although chess might not make you more intelligent, it could help applying your intelligence in a better way. For example, by improving your concentration and by helping you find a solutions in a systematic way.

It's possible to do it in 2 or 3, I think.... Very humilating -_- Chess is about strategy, and is designed to follow some clear-cut rules... So no, it doesn't make you smarter.
Math is about following clear-cut rules. So doing math doesn't make you smarter.

Best answers
I think a good portion of chess is how well you can put together strategies and execute them while predicting your opponents movements and adapting to them. I've always found that people that are more intelligent, have an easier time with this. Even though I've considered myself to be educated enough, but I'm absolutly terrible at chess. I really just lick balls at it. But at the same time, my dad, who was the smartest man I ever met before he started drinking, took 3rd in nationals for chess. I have his trophies, he was a huge chess nut (no pun intended). He left about 10 different kinds of boards when he left, including one set made completly out of ivory (I couldn't imagine how much I could sell it for.. the pieces are HUGE. Ivory is a substance that is the bulk of what the tusks and teeth are made out of on hippos, elephaunts, walrus', mammoths, etc.).

But getting back on topic, I think people with high intelligence might have an easier time with chess... but that's not to say someone with an average IQ can't play and be good at it.

Best answers
chess is just like anyother sport... if u practice and learn the tricks of the trade you can counquor same could be said for if u never played it and totally sucked...and if u already are smart, but never played before you'll probably try and over anyalyze it or somethign... and end up doing bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom