Cell phone question, lawl.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I got a question for you guys. See, I have this really old Nokia cell phone, 6230i or something like that, and beside that I also have an even older one that uses the same battery.

Now, since I only use one of them, I use the other one as a backup battery charger, so if I accidentally forget to charge my phone, I can just put the other battery, that's fully charged, into my phone, because it's the same model.

Now my question: Does it hurt my battery if my cell phone is constantly plugged into the charger? Because that's basically the only way to keep it constantly at full battery, if I leave it unplugged for a couple days, the battery dies on its own, even though I'm not doing anything with the phone.

P.S. Really liking how the forum looks now guys, been a while since I posted, it's nice to see some cool changes :)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That depends on the battery type I think. The newest lithium ion batteries can probably handle it, but if you're using lead-cadmium or plain lithium, then I would have to say yes.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
In general, yes. Whenever you are charging a battery that doesn't need to be charged, you are basically damaging it by overcharging it. As Avenger said though, newer batteries can handle this a lot better than old batteries though. It's best to charge the battery to 70 ish percent and then store it. And if you use it as a back up battery, for when you forget to charge your main battery, can you really not go through the day with a backup battery that has only been charged to 70 percent?

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Oh, I can, but you seem to misunderstand: If I leave the cellphone off the charger, the battery itself will die, sooner or later, even though I'm not using that phone, and will need to be recharged again. I don't know if it's a flaw in the battery, or if it's just how batteries act.

I happen to forget to charge my cell phone every once in a while, maybe once every 15 days, or something like that. When that happens, I need a fully charged (or 70%, whatever) battery to put into my phone. And obviously, I don't think about the spare battery up until the moment I have to use it, which, in most cases when it isn't on the charger, is empty. So I keep it constantly on the charger to keep it constantly full. I can figure it isn't good for the battery, but it's like what, $5 or something, so I think I'm okay.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Newer phones (2+ years ago, probably older) know to cut off when the battery reaches maximum capacity. Your phone is just too old. I'd also say you should drain the battery to about 30% (NOT completely) before charging it. I don't know much about older phones, but yours probably uses a nickel-cadmium battery.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_effect

King of the Hello Kitty Fanclub
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This might sound stupid or maybe I'm misunderstanding, but you say the spare battery dies even when you're not using it, are you turning the phone off and/or removing the battery and it still drains? Or do you leave the second phone on and find the battery drains, cause even without use if it's in the phone itself it will probably drain slowly.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Older phones like his don't have a sleep mode like newer phones do. The phone is always on and draining the battery unless you turn it completely off.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I'm 99% sure that, one of the times I found it drained, it was removed completely from the phone. I'm also 99% sure that I charged it before that. But I'll test it now for the sake of that 1%, thanks for reminding me of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom