Cell Factor Techdemo

Best answers
Oh ****. Wow just wow. That whole particle system looks amazing. Debris flying across the screen blood flying everywhere. That game is gonna be hot. Wuts it for?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
sounds familiar, was there a previous cell factor game.

thats funny we were just talking about blood physics like that earlier today

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It does look amazing, though I don't see why you need a "PPU" to code that.
As for CellFactor itself, it would look more impressive if the blood was actually a liquid--not just little globs of red, that slide down things without staining. It behaves like stuffing from a bean-bag chair would, not like liquid pouring out of someone.

Best answers
~Dark Trunks~ said:
Oh ****. Wow just wow. That whole particle system looks amazing. Debris flying across the screen blood flying everywhere. That game is gonna be hot. Wuts it for?
CellFactor is for the Xbox 360
"CellFactor is a FPS set in a warfare industrial atmosphere. As the plot develops, you’ll gain access to other two main characters as well, each one with distinctive features in the gameplay. You’ll count with a great amount of traditional and experimental weapons and you character will become more powerful as the game goes along."
http://games.teamxbox.com/xbox-360/1264/CellFactor/

Best answers
Oh me god....NOOOOoO!!!!!....Not Xbox360......damn...now i gotta get all 3.... I knew this would happen.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just think of the computer you could get if you pooled the money for those three systems...

Now that I've seen the demo, I'm simply amazed. That looks to be, by far, the coolest looking FPS ever. 360, you say? Sold, I say.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's also for the PC. I think it might even be for the PS3 too.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, it forces you to buy a new computer rig. I can't find this crap on New Egg or anything.

Best answers
Looks like ill be stuck getting it for the 360 since my computer is crap. No matter tho i got my 360 for free. Id still rather have it for the pc tho :S

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This game will not look nearly the same for the 360 as it does for the pc. The 360 doesn't have a PhysX chip(as far as I know), the PS3 will have one. I wonder...How expensive are PhysX chips for the PC?
But this game makes the Gravity Gun look like a small toy for children.

*edit*

Just read that the PhysX chip is sold for 300 dollars, so you won't get that amount of ragdolls and flying debrey without first paying 300 dollars, it's impossible to play without...(well, you can play without one probably, but not with 500 objects flying towards you)

Best answers
Sicron said:
This game will not look nearly the same for the 360 as it does for the pc.
Really...are you serious ?....because that would be great news for me knowing the Xbox 360 version won't compare and i won't have to bother. I still need a new pc anyway, even though i have no idea what physX chip is at the moment.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well basicly, the PhysX chip takes over all the ragdoll calculations of the GPU and allows a ****load of more with its PPU. Basicly...You are now able to have, let's say...40 fully ragdolled people on your PC, with the PhysX chip, this could become well over 200 (Not sure, maybe exhagirating a bit now) without it affecting your fps. But the darn thing costs 300 dollars, which is a lot. And as far as I know, the Xbox 360 doesn't have a PhysX chip, so it won't be able to show the amount of debris you saw flying around in that movie, the PS3 will however have a PhysX chip if I remember correctly.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
If it is for the pc, where would you plug it in?

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The critical factor for the future of "PhysX" chips is consumer acceptance. Will we, as consumers, accept a $300 add-on for a function the GPU and CPU can handle on their own?

Is it consumer "cheapness" that will "stifle games" or is this a silly, unnecessary fad brought on by an ambitious company?

It's also an issue of whether or not the developers accept it. It's really down to them--because if no developers make PhysX-exclusive games, consumers will have no real reason to buy them, and thus no acceptance from either.

Do I personally accept PhysX? Hm.. Well.. Personally, I think if physics-processing was that important, they should work with NVidia and ATI to get it incorporated onto the same card and call it a 'gaming accelerator' or something, instead of "2D/3D graphics accelerators."

In any case, $300 is a lot to ask--BUT, Ageia claims PhysX won't do the same thing that Nvidia/ATI do, in that they release new cards constantly. Ageia claims the processor will last many years, and it's function is updated via software rather than hardware upgrades.

What do you guys believe?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hmm I think they actually speak the truth, the capabilities of the chip at the moment is something we would have never imagined, it is capable of doing some pretty physic intensive stuff (capable of blowing up complete buildings with alot of debris without totally crashing your PC, and a lot of fluid physics. So it should be able to last a couple of years. But eventually, everything gets old, and even software can't update an outdated card...so it will probably last a max of 2-3 years I guess. I mean, it is not like ATI and Nvidia want to constantly upgrade their cards, it's because they have to. Every couple of months/years new techniques get invented to speed up the cards preformance, and you can't update those with software.

And well, people who have the money to buy expensive stuff will probably buy the PhysX chip. I mean...no developers make SLI-exclusive games either, but SLI does exist (or CrossFire for you ATI fanboys :p) and there are people who do buy SLI stuff. It is not needed to have SLI in today's world, but it is optional, same goes for the PhysX chip, it's optional.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There's a significant difference between PhysX and SLI.. All SLI does is add another copy of something you already have, extending an already-proven application farther-improving your framerate in existing games..

PhysX can supposedly lead to games that can't otherwise be played without it, whereas you can't "make" an SLI-only game--because every time a new card comes out, it usually has performance rivaling the SLI-combo of the last.

Like one Nvidia 7900 GTX rivals two 7800's in SLI, etc.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You can play games without PhysX, it just doesn't look as good. Specialy made PhysX games, have like...2 settings, one setting is the ordinary PC setting [blow something up and you get 10 pieces of debris], and the second setting is the PhysX enhanced setting [blow something up and you get 200 pieces of debris]. But if you really mean that any developer would develop a game that would only work with a PhysX chip, well, those developers would be pretty stupid as the largest amount of people (the people you will want to buy your game) won't have a PhysX chip. PhysX is only for the really high end pc's, and most pc's nowadays are like medium-end. So you would invest a lot of money into a PhysX game, but end up losing even more because nobody can play your game [except for a select group of people].

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom