cel shade

Best answers
I was messing around and found that changing the colour of the cel shade to yellow or red would make a badass saiyen or majin aura. But you need a cel shaded model to begin with.

By the way how do cel shade. i tried but i couldnt get it right.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
cell shade is pretty inpossible in hl, search an q3a mod if you want the cell shade correct.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
cell shade is pretty inpossible in hl
Play Sven-Coop's map, 'toonrun1', it has cel shaded sprites, models and enemies, all on a very low poly count.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i mean the REAL cell shade, not that crappy "shaddow-on-the-skin" cell shade.

Old School
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yea, thats not cel shading. Thats the fatboy effect that you can do with Milkshape. This is how you add that effect with Milkshape.

1) Make a bmp file with the color you want your model to glow using photoshop, paint, etc. Make the size about 212x212 pixels also make sure the bmp file is changed to the INDEX mode
2) Select what you want to glow
3) Duplicate your selection (ctrl+d)
4) Go to tools/fatboy... and change the 1 to .1
5) Go to the materials tab
6) Push the 'New' button
7) Push the first '<none>' button and choose the bmp file you made in step 1
8) Go to the groups tab and select your duplicate
9) Go back to the materials tab and push assign
10) Select your duplicate again
11) Revert the vertex order (ctrl+shift+f)
12) Now smooth your model (ctrl+m)
13) Export your model into the folder you imported it from using the same name it was when you imported it
14) Find your bmp file again and put it into that folder
15) Go back to milkshape
16) Choose tools/half-life/compile qc file and compile the qc file in that folder (the one you imported the original non glowing model from)

-----------
Moved to Models/Skins

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
doesnt that effectively double your polycount?? o_O

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well the only probleme is... when u compile that model.... u got more time really hard errors! that u couldnt really compile it! Polys ! Erm.... and something i have to say.... there will be a prob. too if u dont save ur skins in index color!

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
there is no way to just cellshade any model,

you can add a black outline but thats not cellshading in the least, thats just what someone probabaly told you thinking they knew everything, the black outline has nothing to do with cellshading its just something that comes along with it alot of the time

from what i understand cellshading IS possible in HL but it has to be coded into the mod, which means unless the esf team wants to do it, your never going to see a real cellshaded model in esf, or any other mod that doesnt code it in

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't see the difference. Except 4 the color of the edge. What's so different about cel shade?

Old School
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Almighty_gir said:
doesnt that effectively double your polycount?? o_O
Yea, when you do this you have to duplicate the whole model. But you wont run into any errors with it, and it wouldnt make the game lag any more.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Orbit said:
I don't see the difference. Except 4 the color of the edge. What's so different about cel shade?

cellshading ISNT THE BLACK OUTLINE, as i just said its just somethingthat some people include with it, cellshading is altering how the models are rendered ingame, and how lshadows are placed on the model, thus the word shading,

you cant see the difference? thats because you dont know what cellshading is >_>

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Nuttzy you're sooo mean XD

Yeah he's basically right. Making a black-outline on a model isn't cell shading, just outlining it and doubling the poly-count.

There isn't really any way to get Cel-Shaded models into Half-Life unless somebody knows how to code it in. And if you all ever find out, then let me in on teh "secret" lol.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well, im no modeler so i dont exactly know how to help ya here, but imo is kinda looks bad :S

Best answers
woot the fatboy effect is l33t but i can only use it models that already have a low number of poly cuz it wont let you compile if has too much.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ive never had trouble compiling a high poly model....

Best answers
????? really. after applying fatboy??? maybe I'm doing something wrong, i followed those exact steps posted up there (well almost).

when i compile a model after apllying fatboy keeps showing "the model has too many normals" in the console thing at the bottom

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom