Cel Recreation

Best answers
I thought I'd try something that I've never thought about before, recreating a cel of a DBZ character. I was inspired by flash movies at newgrounds, it's my first attempt and I'd just like to know what you guys think;

Ref Picture:

I missed some shading here and there but I'm not really concerned about that at the minute seeing as it was my first. I'm making a new one as we speak which I'll do in much greater detail.

Best answers
Is it just me or is that ref pic ****ed up? o_O oh well it looks coo

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Its nice, but I dont see the point of it. Re creating a ref picture is good practise though I guess.[/contradiction]

ahem oh well ^^:

Hsu

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It would have been better if you used curved lines instead of a bunch of straight lines trying to make the illusion of a curve.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
not too bad but as ryoko said it really serves no purpose ..

Best answers
There was no point, just something new to try playin with.

Hsu: Yeah I know mate... I know >_<

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
just make a slight blur on the straight lines then post the pic again..

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
lol
your pic is in a better quality then the ref, nice work

Retired
Best answers
yeah I think that's a very good job. and indeed the jpg compression in the ref pic ruins the pic a bit. your pic is better in quality ;)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
And on the chin... But other than that it's great... Yeah

Best answers
So...... you traced the original with the pen tool? How is that referencing? To reference is to create a largely new work with the original as a reference. Not to duplicate the original. Like using a character reference, a perspective reference, a pose reference, a color reference, etc. The suggestion is that there is some kind of freehand work involved.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i think he only used the ref to practice the first time, if he knows how to do this well he can make his own things without any refs, it looks nice =D(to stay ontopic =p)

owa

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I could see it as a way of taking a bad refrence that is a bit choppy, and making a good refrence for sigs, etc

Best answers
IF you needed the image for a sig, I find it hard to believe that you wouldn't be able to locate a source image that would meet those meager requirements for size and resolution.

And if it's not traced, why are the images identical size and proportion? It takes a singular talent to recreate those kind of things without tracing.

Really, I have no problem with what's been done here. My problem is the name you're using. "Referencing" is horribly misleading. If you don't believe me, go to any art forum available to you and ask the people there if this is a case of "referencing" an image. To put it bluntly, the right people aren't getting the right credit.

Best answers
MrDomino are you a teacher?.. lol just curious, anyway i dont see any point to this at all just got me starring at gohan for a while lol

-SaN

Best answers
Am I a teacher? No, I think that no matter how much I learn about art I will never know enough, so I will always be just a student.

Let me ask you this: If it was your work up there that someone reproduced almost perfectly and then labeled as their own, how would you feel then?

That's the point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom