Which do you prefer?

• Cartridge

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CD

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Like the "Nintendo or Playstation" Topic.
What do you guys think is better? Even though I have no problem with games
being released in CD's I prefer Cartridges because they aren't so fragile. And
like Previous games have shown you can save w/o needing a memory card.

One thing I hate about Sony, They always sell things sepurately:

The PS2's always have 2 player Slots, while others have 3-4, and they release
a multi-adapter for you to waste $20 bucks on. Then you got the Memory Cards
which are around $30 but then $20 after a few month have passed.

Best answers
I don't have a problem with either because I keep my things in good condition. Only thing I like better about memory cards over batteries is that eventually the battery will go.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
CD cuz I'm a PC only Gamer. I don't dabble in.....the lower arts......of gaming.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
CD's. Although i like the cartridges for the saving and stuff, you can only have cutscenes with the CD. Just imagen a game like Metal Gear Solid with no cutscenes !!! HORROR

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Um... how about cardtridge cases with little CDs that spin up inside of them? The console world has changed over to CDs for a reason, and that reason is data capacity. CDs (and DVDs in particular) have a much higher data potential than the electronic boards you have to shove into a little cartridge like they did six or seven years ago. Cartridges are nice because of the quick loading times and the built in memory, like you said, but those days have long since passed us by.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
im sure they could make cartridges that could perform as well as discs, eventually, but with alot of media today being on disks, a cartridge system would look out of place

Best answers
This may have ben a viable argument 5 years ago. But with the release of DVDs and CDs getting bigger and bigger, cartridges are expensive and pointless. Most N64 games are still around 40 dollars.
Cartridges do have the compactness and lifespan, but lets face it, the most modern thing to use a cartridge is the GBA. And I would bet money that the next Game Boy would use CDs similair to what the GC used.
Another advantage of cartridge would be the low to zero load time, but then again CDs are getting close to no load time with the speed of consoles and CD drives going up.
All-in-all, unless you still buy N64 games the CD is much better.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Lifespan is another strong point to make. It's fairly likely that if you were to hold onto a CD for three or four years that it's going to get scratched or broken, but are you really all that likely to still be playing that game in three or four years? You might say, "but Sonic, the original Resident Evil was some pimped out shizznit, yo. That game was the rizzle dizzle off the hizzle." Well if you love Resident Evil so much wouldn't you take better care of it than your other games? And if you aren't totally neglecting your CDs you shouldn't have to worry about them getting smashed. Less parts = less durability = cheaper cost, but if you're watching after your CDs they wont get damaged. On the other hand I still play the original Zelda once in a while, which would be entirely impossible if it had been released on a CD back in 198x (year?), but realistically I only play Zelda every two or three years, and never all the way through. Sure, the cardtridge might survive another 20 years, but by then (like now) it'll be free on the internet to download as a rom and play on an emulator.

We don't need crushing/fire/hydrochloric-acid proof games in order to enjoy them, just take more care of the games you have.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sonic Boyster said:
Lifespan is another strong point to make. It's fairly likely that if you were to hold onto a CD for three or four years that it's going to get scratched or broken, but are you really all that likely to still be playing that game in three or four years? You might say, "but Sonic, the original Resident Evil was some pimped out shizznit, yo. That game was the rizzle dizzle off the hizzle." Well if you love Resident Evil so much wouldn't you take better care of it than your other games? And if you aren't totally neglecting your CDs you shouldn't have to worry about them getting smashed. Less parts = less durability = cheaper cost, but if you're watching after your CDs they wont get damaged. On the other hand I still play the original Zelda once in a while, which would be entirely impossible if it had been released on a CD back in 198x (year?), but realistically I only play Zelda every two or three years, and never all the way through. Sure, the cardtridge might survive another 20 years, but by then (like now) it'll be free on the internet to download as a rom and play on an emulator.

We don't need crushing/fire/hydrochloric-acid proof games in order to enjoy them, just take more care of the games you have.
I do take care of my CD's. But what people dont know is that they automatically
get scratched as you use them (The PS2 does a good job of doing this). Also
depending on the tempurature the CD's can get messed up as well. For example.
When I had a Sega Saturn I only had two games:

Virtua Fighter Remix & Space Jams. I stopped using the Sega Saturn after
PS became more popular w/ RPG's & Shooters. And like 2 years ago when I
felt like playing those games again I opened up the case, and when I looked
behind them, its like the CD's had been "smothered". The back part looked
kinda like how when you leave finger prints on um but it was more vulnerable.
As if the CD had expired or something. I thought some sort of chemical fell on
it or my brother had messed it up or something but it just didn't seem like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom