Carlos Mencia

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
He meant "wetback" which is a racist slur for hispanics.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm not too fond of his shows but the commercials are funny like hell.

Carlo: Hey you drop your keys.
Woman: Who are you calling bro, *****?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ace.AnimangaXD said:
Anyone see'n him on tv, he's the coolest werback in the world!
this will be your only friendly warning on the matter.

racism is not allowed.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
He's funny, but he's like 90% blatant racism which gets repetitive and boring after a while, same with that "dee dee dee", that can get annoying as hell. Chappelle, yeah he had racist jokes, but it wasn't as blatant as Mencia's.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I would say Chapelle and Mencia are about the same, and only differentiate in racial origin.

Best answers
just to make it clear im am not racist. I am just saying if you call your self a prohaxor is it wrong to call you a prohaxor? And btw he calls himself a wetback. but if you insisit he is a latino. Happy? even if i not from USA, i too belive in "freedom of speech".

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Freedom of Speech only works as long as you are not violating anyone else's rights. Meaning that if you called someone a racial name does not give you the freedom of speech.

Carlos Mencia is a pretty funny comedian, but I have to agree with Chakra-X that Mencia gets boring with his repetiveness for racial jokes.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've heard alot of stuff about him, how he is a fake and how he isn't even mexican from different sites and i've even heard Joe Rogan say these things. I never found him funny, one site I found stuff on was http://freaksafari.com/carlosmencia.htm .

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Alteh said:
I've heard alot of stuff about him, how he is a fake and how he isn't even mexican from different sites and i've even heard Joe Rogan say these things. I never found him funny, one site I found stuff on was http://freaksafari.com/carlosmencia.htm .
Here's what Wikipedia had to say:

Wikipedia.org said:
In a 2005 interview by Howard Stern, comedian George Lopez claimed that he and Mencia were involved in a physical altercation at a comedy club. Lopez alleged that Mencia appropriated 13 minutes of Lopez' material, without permission, for Mencia's HBO comedy special. Lopez told Stern, "It's not really a feud, I mean, I think I won." Shortly afterwards, comedian Joe Rogan wrote a post on his website publicly accusing Mencia of being a plagiarist, alleging that Mencia stole jokes from a number of comedians.

Mencia responded to the accusations while being interviewed on Tucson's The Frank Show, stating that Joe Rogan had fabricated these allegations out of jealousy. On his own website, Mencia denied accusations of plagiarism, arguing that the material in question was too generic to be attributed to any single comedian. Additionally, he confirms Lopez's statement that there is no feud between them.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think I'm going to side with Mencia on that one. Jokes about black people not getting jobs and white people being preppy and rich and mexicans being lazy are way too generic to really isolate to any one comedian's property.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
MC said:
Freedom of Speech only works as long as you are not violating anyone else's rights. Meaning that if you called someone a racial name does not give you the freedom of speech.
.... Have you read the Constitution? The First Amendment protects your speech (i.e., political speech) from the Federal Government, and the 14th Amendment's Due Process Clause applies the First Amendment to the States..

An individual cannot infringe upon another individual's right to "free speech."

In any case, I don't find Mencia funny at all. He's crude, has numerous annoying habits like saying "DO DO DO!" and he plays the Latino card way too much.

As a 'constitutional sidenote,' the rights guaranteed to you by the Bill of Rights are fundamental, but not absolute. If the state/federal government can pass the 'strict scrutiny' test--meaning the law must:
1) serve a compelling government interest
2) be narrowly tailored, the least restrictive possible

The government can restrict any of the fundamental rights (speech, bearing arms, assembly, petition, speedy trial, grand jury, press, religion, etc) if it has a good enough reason to do so.

Civics lesson complete!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i dont give a rats ass about the constitution, this forum doesnt work by the constitution, it works by the AUP.

go read that instead, its much more important :p

oh and for the record, i wont support a constitution that gives you the right to bear arms for no good reason. why do you think theres so much gun crime in america? could it be because.... THERE ARE SO MANY GUNS?!

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mad_AxMan said:
i dont give a rats ass about the constitution, this forum doesnt work by the constitution, it works by the AUP.

go read that instead, its much more important :p

oh and for the record, i wont support a constitution that gives you the right to bear arms for no good reason. why do you think theres so much gun crime in america? could it be because.... THERE ARE SO MANY GUNS?!
The Constitution doesn't give you the right to "bear arms." It gives the State the right to organize a militia..

The Supreme Court has interpeted the Second Amendment's Arms clause as a "collective right," not an individual right.
(United States v. Miller [Supreme Court])

In any case, there is a definite correlation between the number of guns and the number of crimes committed by guns. However, diversity plays an equally big part in crime rate, and the US is one of the most (if not the most) racially diverse countries on the planet.

Edit: Apparently the debate over the collective/individual right is still being settled--two cases on this matter conflict with each other, United States v. Emerson[Fifth Circuit Federal Court] and Silveira v. Lockyer[Ninth Circuit Federal Court].

Anyhoo, back onto Mencia.. The only episodes I've watched are when I've been very bored and waiting for South Park to come on. He just isn't that funny. :/

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The thing that makes it funny for me, is I grew up in a neighborhood that's now been completely overrun with spanish people. All the signs and businesses are in spanish only, and my cousin's family shop went out of business because they didn't have any spanish people there to deal with spanish customers. So Carlos Mencia's sense of humor, while I agree it isn't that great, is funnier to me because I have witnessed everything he says first hand, and I like any compelling evidence that leads to people understanding the idea of a stereotype more. Plus I myself habitually make sweeping generalizations a lot of the time, not about race, but still. So I mean, it does have its place, for a person like me.

PS: Thank you for bringing the topic back and not making me have to yell at you both!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SailorAlea said:
.... Have you read the Constitution? The First Amendment protects your speech (i.e., political speech) from the Federal Government, and the 14th Amendment's Due Process Clause applies the First Amendment to the States..

An individual cannot infringe upon another individual's right to "free speech."

In any case, I don't find Mencia funny at all. He's crude, has numerous annoying habits like saying "DO DO DO!" and he plays the Latino card way too much.

As a 'constitutional sidenote,' the rights guaranteed to you by the Bill of Rights are fundamental, but not absolute. If the state/federal government can pass the 'strict scrutiny' test--meaning the law must:
1) serve a compelling government interest
2) be narrowly tailored, the least restrictive possible

The government can restrict any of the fundamental rights (speech, bearing arms, assembly, petition, speedy trial, grand jury, press, religion, etc) if it has a good enough reason to do so.

Civics lesson complete!
Thank you, I agree completely. I also hate how he is being used as Comedy Central's "flag ship" figure. I can't watch Comedy Central without seeing 40 damn Mencia comercials everytime I watch ANY program.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I am SO glad we don't get any of this bull**** on Dutch TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom