Can't load model file.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Okay, I got MilkShape, and I try to load a model that my friend did to edit it.
So I go File, Import, and a whole load of crap shows up, among which is Half-Life SMD. When I choose it, I can only select files in the SMD format. Then I see "Serious Sam MDL", and I say "what the heck maybe it'll work. So I try it, but it doesnt work. I even tried renaming the model to .smd but it didnt work. HELP!

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
In milkshape go to tools -> Half life > Decompile Normal HL MDL file choose your mdl file, it will extract all the smd's which you can import, hl models have reference smd's and sequence smd's, reference are usually the character name, or model name, the rest are usually ref_blahblah and are animation files (sequence).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, but why can't I see the skin? I only want to make minor changes to a model that a friend of mine already did. Does that mean that I have to change the skeleton and everything?

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
you just load the reference smd, if its goku then you decompile it, import goku.smd, edit it, then export the file to goku.smd when you're done then recompile it.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
After you import it, in order to see the skin, right click the perspective window and select "texture"

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
@Shinijo: Tried it, didn't work. Thanx anyway though.
@Oh...there's a lot of ref files here. Does that mean I'll have to edit each one?
BTW I got your sprite pack, it rules!!!

P.S. How do you decompile?

Best answers
if you want to see the skin, right click either window and click textured and then you should see it :D
In milkshape go to tools -> Half life > Decompile Normal HL MDL file choose your mdl file, it will extract all the smd's which you can import, hl models have reference smd's and sequence smd's, reference are usually the character name, or model name, the rest are usually ref_blahblah and are animation files (sequence).
already has been said

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom