Cant create online listen server

Best answers
Ok guys i know you got lots of threads about this but i couldnt find anything helpful while using the search button

I am using Steam - VAC In Good Standing

I am using ESF Beta 1.2.3

I am not running any addons

I am behind a router and firewall

Drivers are up to date - I think

In-game video mode - OpenGL?

I am using Norton Anti-Virus 2007

Ok so i create a listen server, everything looks normal, VAC Secure message even comes up. But when i ask someone to try join my server in Find Servers, they cant see my server.

Things i have already done:

Untick LAN Game
sv_lan 0
Port forwarding on my D-Link Modem/Router 27015 TCP for ESF
Port forwarding for Steam
Create Exception in NAV 2007 for steam and hl
Create Exception in Windows Firewall for hl.exe and steam.exe
Turned OFF Windows Firewall, after no success

Still nothing...but i can see my server in History tab.

Heres my console report if it helps:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NET Ports: server 27015, client 27005
Server IP address 10.1.1.4:27015
Reading bot_names file... done
Reading bot_chat file... done
Reading bot_personalities file... done
Reading sbot.cfg file... done
Reading skill.cfg file... done
No detail texture mapping file: maps/esf_cell_games_detail.txt
EVERY bot has now the skill Medium

BUILD 3798 SERVER (0 CRC)
Server # 1
Missing bitmap font: gfx\vgui\fonts\1280_Scouterstats Text.tga
Missing bitmap font: gfx\vgui\fonts\1280_Melee Text.tga
Adding master server 69.28.151.162:27010
Adding master server 68.142.72.250:27010
Connection to Steam servers successful.
VAC secure mode is activated.
* Advent Cloud has joined Good
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Is there a way of checking to see if your server is accessible on the internet by others? Or do you have to ask some else to try and join every time?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have this problem too. Dunno why. I always have to give the server IP to the person I want to join. I've tried asking for support on the Steam forums as well and gotten no help at all. Everyone there just tells me to forward the ports, as if I'm some noob. :rolleyes:

You honestly probably won't find a solution to this. I tried for 3 weeks straight to find a solution to the problem, and got nothing. I still try occasionally when threads like these come up. But nobody ever solves it.

Best answers
I hope it does get solved... its really annoying how some people can do it and they dont have to do any complex stuff and ones like us who tried everything but it wont work.

Also not being able to invite friends to play on your server so yo u have to play with bots which say 'Do u know bananas r monkey food?' all the time :(

To bad esf doesnt have a connection troubleshooter like msn login, it tests all connections and even show you a pwretty picture of where your connecion is stuck

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's not ESF, it's something to do with Steam and your router. That's as far as anyone ever got to solving it.

Best answers
Here is a suggestion, try turning off your symantec internet security, just to test it, I have found that I not only don't have connection issues when I do this, but my ping also decreases (that's faster) which obviously is good.
If this does work, it will be a matter of finding the right firewall settings (if any) that will suit your system, or if you are playing on a computer that does not have any important files on it, play with the firewall shut off completely. That is how I do it, of course I turn it back on afterwards and do a system scan to play it safe, which is fine since that is when I am normally going to bed anyway.

Post back here with your results.

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
ok first things, if all else fails, turn off all firewalls that are on your computer. If the port forwarding issue is still there, there may be a DMZ setting on your router (makes you open to the internet) and you can use that, just make sure you make your ip static. That should hopefully solve things.

And to give people your ip address, tell them to go to the ip you get from
whatismyip.com

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ok first things, if all else fails, turn off all firewalls that are on your computer. If the port forwarding issue is still there, there may be a DMZ setting on your router (makes you open to the internet) and you can use that, just make sure you make your ip static. That should hopefully solve things.

And to give people your ip address, tell them to go to the ip you get from
whatismyip.com
Putting yourself in the DMZ is a very bad idea. You'd be vulnerable to any kiddie who wanted to DOS (denial of service) attack you. And that's very annoying, trust me. Forwarding the ports are all that's necessary.

Best answers
Ok i tried turning off Norton Anti-Virus 2007, but i cant find the exit button on it, and i cant find the process for it either in TaskManager, i swear Norton hid it somewhere ;( .

I did DMZ once but i dunno how it works...it just killed my download of naruto O_O

I was browsing around for more port-forwarding site when i came across my Routers manufacturer site... I found a useful noob tutorial with screen shots on it and followed it for portforwarding.

IT WORKED!!!! zomg zomg zomg lolz

I found the problem afterwards with my previous attempt trying to forward ports.
I followed a tutorial on portforward.com and they have heaps of routers there, and they even had the one i had, BUT their tut didn't have the exact steps i needed to follow and since i don't know my way around the router, it was hard to follow.

The step i messed up was the
"After you have forwarded the ports, save and reboot"
I assumed that to mean restart my computer, BUT i found out in the other tutorial, it meant use the Save and Reboot button which was buried in a tab, another menu and another sub menu, in the router interface :S

Now i can make online servers YAY! Thanks everyone for your replys.

Tip for others:
If you want to learn to do port forwarding, go to your manufacturers site FIRST to see if they have a tut there for you to follow, if they don't then try portforward.com, if that don't work look around for more tuts, every tut slightly differs which can make a huge difference =)

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Heh, glad you're one of the lucky ones. I thought we had the same problem, but it seems you just didn't know what you were doing haha. Oh well, I'll keep searching for a solution to my problem... :(

Best answers
Hehe thanks :)

Actually i knew what i was doing, following the instructions, but i didn't know my way around my router and the instructions weren't exact so i stuffed that part up...and it was a hard button to find anyways :scared:

Don't worry, i'm sure you'll find it eventually like me, good luck =)

🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
I can't too.. and im 100% sure that it isnt our router.. and sometimes when i join a server (only in Steam) it says Connection Failed.still my internet is working..
and i cant join the same server again, because it says that my SteamId is already in that server...

strange.. i think that Steam is not working normal..
because all other games do.

Best answers
I have this problem too. Dunno why. I always have to give the server IP to the person I want to join. I've tried asking for support on the Steam forums as well and gotten no help at all. Everyone there just tells me to forward the ports, as if I'm some noob. :rolleyes:

You honestly probably won't find a solution to this. I tried for 3 weeks straight to find a solution to the problem, and got nothing. I still try occasionally when threads like these come up. But nobody ever solves it.
Spunky, you say always have to give the server IP; is this for real, everytime you have to give the IP? what about when you join a game, what happens?

Do you mind if I ask who your ISP is? PM me if you don't want to post it, I am just curious if it might be your provider, some of them can block certain traffic from connecting to their customers.

You may have a setting available on your ISP's customer control panel settings.

It is worth a look anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom