Can you say foldable?

Best answers
That's rather intriguing-- seems highly original. I'll definitely be very impressed if Sony could incorporate this into the PS3. It would sure help justify the price value.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
O: That's pretty awesome.

If they made a display out of that, you could easily carry it with you.

Have an x-inch screen with you at all times. o/ Just roll it out, hang it on a nail in the living room, touch the thing and you've got yourself a home cinema! o/

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

How does this technological advancement... have anything remotely to do with video gaming in the conventional sense? Please answer this for me Sony.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Arthos said:

How does this technological advancement... have anything remotely to do with video gaming in the conventional sense? Please answer this for me Sony.
Well, they could... make a new type of controller that gets hard or soft depending on how much you... touch it. *Snickers*

Best answers
Yea they patent it but will the use or will Nintendo have to do it first. This is lame to me, i can live without it. they are doin everything to cover their tracks right now after microsoft and nintendo have both accused them of stealing their ideas. Sony doesnt set standards anyway so i doubt this would be any good to the ps3...big whoop. :S

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
As if touching the DS wasn't enough, nooooo, now we need to touch everything to make it become hard so you can use it...does anyone know how sexual that sounds?

Seriously, sony comes with stuff you need to touch to make it become hard. Nintendo thinks of the name "Wii", what will Microsoft do next? One can only hope that it is not something remotely similair to what the others did.

Best answers
I can see it now,

Kid:I need help getting past the red monster.
Kid2:You need to move the controller up and down until it becomes hard.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
sonys been in the game a long time. if anyone has the right to acuse anyone of stealing ideas. its sony. i think people need to calm down.

how the hell this has anything to do with video games? ... i dont know, i was thinking more practical uses my self

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't know where you are all getting the idea that touching the controller would make it hard. Plugging it in and giving it an electrical current is what is supposed to make this stuff stiffen so it is useable. It's not about video games, it's about technological innovation. No, a foldable controller isn't going to improve Tekken's gameplay, but it's an interesting idea that has some novelty.

If you're all done with the sexual innuendo and complaints about how a new hardware material is not a video game feel free to continue the conversation.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
United States Patent Office said:
An electrorheological fluid device and an electronic apparatus, which realize various hardness or tension in a portion of the device or apparatus to which a human body touches, enabling application to a product that needs to have portability. An electrorheological fluid device is formed by including: a container capable of containing fluid internally; a pair of electrodes having flexibility, disposed in the container so as to oppose each other; and an electrorheological fluid having an elastic property changeable in accordance with an electric field generated between the electrodes, the electrorheological fluid being contained in the container and disposed between the electrodes. By using the electrorheological fluid device to various electronic apparatus, the hardness, tension, texture, shape, or the like of the apparatus can be electrically controlled.
That's a really strange idea they have, I wouldn't mind seeing it actually placed into application. Looking through the claims for the patent, they seem to really have everything planned out.

I don't see what's funny about this; look at the new type of armor their developing for the Future Warrior program in the United States. It's practically the same, just that the usuage of it is to effectively protect the wearer from being shot by electrical impulses that are sent through the vest that hardens the material in the vest in a hundreth of a second (don't know the exact time frame).

GameSpot said:
The electrorheological fluid device can be applied to, for example, part of a controller of a home-use game machine as another example of the electronic apparatus of the present invention. A user touches a control section of the controller by fingers, and the feeling of touch is controlled by the electrorheological fluid device. For example, if a game player is defeated in a fighting game, the electrorheological fluid device is controlled to become soft in order to improve the realistic sensations in the game.
So basically it's going to be like the shock controllers.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sonic Boyster said:
I don't know where you are all getting the idea that touching the controller would make it hard. Plugging it in and giving it an electrical current is what is supposed to make this stuff stiffen so it is useable. It's not about video games, it's about technological innovation. No, a foldable controller isn't going to improve Tekken's gameplay, but it's an interesting idea that has some novelty.

If you're all done with the sexual innuendo and complaints about how a new hardware material is not a video game feel free to continue the conversation.
yeah that's all I got out of that :x

I still find this too unrealistic.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Didn't they have something like this in Batman Begins?
The application lists wide-ranging uses for the technology, and suggests it could be applied to cell phones, PDAs, PCs, remote controls, clocks, glasses, and even game systems.
It's not always about video games guys.

Example: You drop your cell-phone, motion detectors inside detect it is falling and it releases a small electric current through the material hardening itself to brace for impact.

Still unrealistic? I think not.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Optimus Prime said:
Didn't they have something like this in Batman Begins?

It's not always about video games guys.

Example: You drop your cell-phone, motion detectors inside detect it is falling and it releases a small electric current through the material hardening itself to brace for impact.

Still unrealistic? I think not.

K, maybe I should dive deeper as to why I think it's "unrealistic".

You are saying foldable. Let me define foldable.

Foldable: # To bend over or double up so that one part lies on another part: fold a sheet of paper.
# To make compact by doubling or bending over parts: folded the laundry; folded the chairs for stacking.

Straight from dictionary.com

So when you say "foldable" i think of some guy taking something like the DS or PSP and folding it. Now that to me is unrealistic. Making something soften so that you can make it a certain shape to an extent so that it will fit in a bag or a pocket etc.

Clocks I'm not sure about... why would you need to "fold" or do anything to a clock.. It's a mutha ****in clock it's going to sit there all day and tell you the time.

Cell phones, that makes sense.

Games, no sense.

Everything else I really don't care about. I posted enough.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well if i rolled up my ps3 like a burrito and carried a little remote thing to shock it, and just put it in my pocket and went to my friends house, poked it, and it unrolled and hardened that would be cool.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ZeroNightmare said:
well if i rolled up my ps3 like a burrito and carried a little remote thing to shock it, and just put it in my pocket and went to my friends house, poked it, and it unrolled and hardened that would be cool.
I dont' think that's ever going to happen. Ever.

Validated Steam Engine
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
🌹 Regular Rosé
Best answers
ZeroNightmare said:
sonys been in the game a long time. if anyone has the right to acuse anyone of stealing ideas. its sony. i think people need to calm down.

how the hell this has anything to do with video games? ... i dont know, i was thinking more practical uses my self
Uhhhh....right. Sony can accuse people of stealing ideas......sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom