Can you really judge people based on arguments with them?

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Now, as most of you probably know, I have a tendency to get into many political, philosophical arguments and many others, someimtes to the extent of mutual flaming between me and the ones I'm confronting in the argument. But what I've learned is that, no matter how wrong that person you think is in that argument, that you can't judge him/her based on it.

There's quite a few people here that I've argued with before, shared extreme differences in point of view (in the aspect of the argument), and yet I think that I could get along with them. Sub, for example. I don't know if he feels the same way, but apart from our different ways of thinking in particular aspects, I think I could get along with him. SailorAlea, as well, and many others.

Do you think that you can judge what a person is like, solely on their point of view in an argument and in the way in which he presents it (flaming directly and indirectly, sarcasm & irony and such)? I'm interested in what people think about this.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Generally, shared opinions are the basis for friendship. If you have absolutely nothing in common with someone, or you have completely opposite points of view, it'd be difficult to "get along" with them. I also feel that if someone can't respect my point of view, they aren't worth being my friend.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Absolutely. While the context of a person's argument is important, I find much joy in learning how a specific person thinks. Once you're able to recognize a person's pattern, you're able to preempt them, lead them or just have fun with them (at their expense, of course). Because you know how they'll react, you can poke and prod them in ways that make you out to be civilized and your opponent to be a savage, or at the very least, highly irrational. I generally have my arguments lined up before people even respond, because I enjoy arguing way more than I enjoy actually winning, which is why you'll see most of my points never have a killing blow. It's why I argue post by post, rather than address the topic as a whole. That knowledge of what is to come makes all the difference in an argument.

Because we're on the net, we're unable to look for tells or physical signs that allow us to judge and predict the actions and thoughts of other people. However, we're directly linked to each others mind, and because there are no consequences, people tend to be themselves on the internet. Most people don't realize this. People aren't just acting out on the internet, just because. This is how we really are, whether we want to admit it or not. This is how we are when there's nothing our there to hold us back. Personally, I'm the same wherever I am, be it on the net or in the real world, but I find others aren't so honest. There's far more psychology involved (at least on my part, but I'm sure most people do this subconsciously, at the very least) in an argument than one would care to think about.

So in a word, yes.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
To a degree you're right, but it's difficult, dare I say impossible to completely 'analyze' a person while arguing with them online. You don't actually know him/her and you don't know if there are points of view that you actually share, simply because you never have the opportunity, or the idea to see if you do.

And may I ask, out of shear curiosity, why do you enjoy poking people like that?

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That's why you don't analyze a person based on the events of a single argument, but by how that person has reacted and what that person has said over an extended period of time. I don't care if we both like pizza or if we both think Captain America is awesome. I care about how you think, how you operate, what makes you tick and how I can exploit that to further understand a person's mind, and by extension my own mind. This answers your last question. I poke and prod to learn more about you, me and in a much broader perspective, humanity as a whole, but on a case by case basis with which I am able to take puzzle pieces and form a much larger picture. I am always eagerly awaiting new information. When a person no longer has anything to offer me, and I can basically write out both sides of our argument before it has even occurred, I back off and move on. I love learning about people and I love learning about the mind; just not on their terms. My ways are less than savory to those on the receiving end of my microscope, but others secretly enjoy the exchange. Until I focus on them, of course.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Generally, shared opinions are the basis for friendship. If you have absolutely nothing in common with someone, or you have completely opposite points of view, it'd be difficult to "get along" with them. I also feel that if someone can't respect my point of view, they aren't worth being my friend.
Oh how wrong you are...

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I hate the entire concept of judging people. I feel like wherever you go, everyone is judging everyone.

As for whether or not you can judge someone based on an argument, I think it depends. You can certainly get along with those who you argue with a lot, though. When I get into an argument with someone, after the argument is over, I'll forget about the argument and move on. If they don't want to move on, so be it.

On a slightly off topic note, Zeo, you're a tad bit insane. Just a tad.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Is it insane to love someone so much that you'd rather them not exist in this world at all if you can't have them? I don't think so, Hyb. It's called going the extra mile. I always go the extra mile. Some people just dump the body in the woods. Not me. I dig a 10 foot hole, throw the body in, cover it with cement, and pour more soil in it. That's just who I am.

Would you deny me your love, Hyb?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
However, we're directly linked to each others mind, and because there are no consequences, people tend to be themselves on the internet. Most people don't realize this. People aren't just acting out on the internet, just because.

So in a word, yes.
I kinda disagree with that. While the internet shows a more "raw" side of people, some people use the internet as a shield. There are people out there that like to pick fights or talk a lot of ****. This could mean the person is actually an *******, but is he really a tough guy or just a coward safe behind his computer screen?

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That's my point. This is exactly how people would behave if there were no consequences, and so it's easiest to judge a person's true nature by how he behaves when he believes there are no rules and/or repercussions for his actions. You're witnessing the essence of a person. When I'm studying a personality, I'm not wondering if this person is tough. Certain characteristics simply don't apply to the internet, while others do. For example, I hate most forms of authority. I think one could easily gather that much from my interactions during my stay on this forum. This is a personality trait that affects me and is a part of me wherever I go.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
...Okay? How?
He was referring to me. Him and I have totally opposite points of view yet we've effectively talked almost every day for more than a year.

Just goes to show you, people can get together even if by all means they never should. It happens. Think about it this way. If everyone in the world agreed on every single thing, the world would be a boring place not worth living in. It's these differences that actually form friendships between people. It's what makes people interesting to each other.

And yes, Zeonix, your method of analyzing people is a tad weird. And a tad scary.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Because having completely opposite perspectives can be quite healthy to any kind of relationship. Personally, I don't want to be friends with someone who agrees with me on everything, or is exactly like me. They have nothing to offer me. It'd be exactly like conversing with myself. A person with different opinions, on the other hand, allows you to view "things" from a very different perspective, possibly allowing you to empathize with a viewpoint you'd never thought to consider. Of course, there's always the possibility that your personalities may clash, especially if you find someone who's exactly like you, and you happen to be headstrong and assertive. The both of you would constantly be trying to dominate the other, making for a very unhealthy and tumultuous relationship.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm not saying that all of your friends are exactly like you, I'm just saying that most of the time you meet a friend due to a common interest. Lion, you never would have met Dan if you hadn't both liked ESF at one point, right? That's what I'm trying to say.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
True enough.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
We like, never played ESF together. I guess it was Starcraft. But that's about it. The rest, we're complete opposites.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't care if you've ever played together. ESF brought you both here...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom