can a high resolution kill a monitor?!

ESF Head Team Mapper
πŸ‘‘ Administrator
🌠 Staff
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ‚ Regular
Best answers
Ok, I was in my display settings and increased my resolution to something like 2048 times xxx or something like that ...
I hit apply and my screen turned black.
So I just though the monitor couldn't display that resolution and it would turn back to 1600x1200 after 15 seconds ... but it didn't.
I tried to restart and start up in VGA mode but the screen was still black even when the POST screen was supposed to be on screen :(

So yeah .. can a higher resolution then the monitors maximum resolution kill a monitor? I really want my 21" screen back instead of this crappy old 17" piece of **** I'm forced to use now >_<

Best answers
It shouldnt have done that. The monitor should be able to display anything the graphics card can handle. It wouldnt have had that high of a resolution setting when you went to change it if your monitor couldnt handle it. Did you change any of your monitors settings from default?

ESF Head Team Mapper
πŸ‘‘ Administrator
🌠 Staff
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ‚ Regular
Best answers
no it was always working fine before and I didnt change anything .. exept the resolution and then it broke or something :(

gonna update my video drivers now .. who knows it probably helps :-/
-- nope ... nothing changed :( ... the led turns green as if it were on but the screen stays black *cry*

Beta Tester Squad
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
it could be the refresh rate , does thios happens only in games or it wont open?

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Ok, I was in my display settings and increased my resolution to something like 2048 times xxx or something like that ...
So I just though the monitor couldn't display that resolution and it would turn back to 1600x1200 after 15 seconds ... but it didn't.
I tried to restart and start up in VGA mode but the screen was still black even when the POST screen was supposed to be on screen :(

So yeah .. can a higher resolution then the monitors maximum resolution kill a monitor? I really want my 21" screen back instead of this crappy old 17" piece of **** I'm forced to use now >_<
Sounds to me like you vastly exceeded the maximum refresh rate of one of your parts, either the vid card or the monitor. When everything's in there right most vid cards won't let you set it to resolutions they physically can't do, so I doubt that's the issue. Chances are the monitor's boned.

If you have another monitor and you can see stuff with that one, then just thank god it wasn't your video card.

ESF Head Team Mapper
πŸ‘‘ Administrator
🌠 Staff
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ‚ Regular
Best answers
Im using a different monitor right now and I also tryed to use the big one one another comp .. same results T_T

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers

High resolutions can't kill monitors, but high refresh rates can, though not instantly. Try putting your old monitor back and boot in safe mode.

Best answers
Im using a different monitor right now and I also tryed to use the big one one another comp .. same results T_T
It's very rare for something like that to happen, your just extremely unlucky!

ANyway, you can't win all the time. The motherboard in the new computer I built a few days ago fryed in the first day...

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
they have maximum resolutions for a reason...

...but if anything it should of just popped back into a lower resolution it could handle

Best answers
they have maximum resolutions for a reason...

...but if anything it should of just popped back into a lower resolution it could handle
But the problem is - he went 2048x1950 on a 17' CRT....I would say its his own fault for frying the moniter......

ESF Head Team Mapper
πŸ‘‘ Administrator
🌠 Staff
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ‚ Regular
Best answers
But the problem is - he went 2048x1950 on a 17' CRT....I would say its his own fault for frying the moniter......
it was a 21" monitor, and since that one seems to be broken I'm using a spare 17" one right now, not the other way around -.-

Best answers
You dont know what your talking about. A monitor wouldnt quit working because of the resolution. Just like Cuccumba said. The refresh rate could have but he would have had to change it from default because a monitor wont have a refresh rate that it cant display on its pull down menu unless you uncheck where it says "hide rates that this monitor cannot display" which I doubt he did because he said that the only thing he did was change the resolution.

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
In theory it should not have done that, But being a Windows world, nothing is perfect.
Before my laptop was formatted My maximum resolution was 1024x768, But once Vista was Installed I was able to pump my resolution to 1280x800.

Back in the day I had a good old LG 17" monitor, I was able to exceed the 1280 X 1024, (Mind you the monitor didn't like that all that much, and the monitor would "Whine")
If it is possible, Take the graphics card out of that system and place it in the other machine, And try it. If it works, then grab the "dead monitor" plug it in and try it. If nothing happens it looks like you indeed have a dead monitor, Now monitors are similar in design to a CRT T.V So it shouldn't be all that expensive to get it repaired at a T.V repair place.

I live around the corner from a T.V repair store, And I have known the guy for years and it only cost me 30 bucks to get my old Sony Triniton 22" monitor repaired.

Another way of fixing it, Is Uninstall your graphics drivers, then Uninstall the monitor from device manager, Then Restart the machine, and hopefully the Operating System picks everything up again.

Its not his fault, The option to select that resolution shouldn't even be available, It was fault of the operating system, Even then it should revert back to the previous resolution if selected.

Best answers
Couldn't the possibility exist that the monitor was for some reason on the verge of death, and the high res change could have possibly killed it? I don't really know anything about monitors, but I'd say just try to contact the manufacturer and see if you got a warranty.

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
That could be, though it's unlikely.

I think people are overlooking the possibility of a bad driver install of what have you--there are a million ways that Windows would have allowed him the wrong resolutions or refresh rates for his monitor.

Pemalite, the only reason you were able to raise your resolution on your laptop was because Vista has more up-to-date generic drivers than XP does. I doubt updating drivers will help him either way, at this point.

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Pemalite, the only reason you were able to raise your resolution on your laptop was because Vista has more up-to-date generic drivers than XP does. I doubt updating drivers will help him either way, at this point.
I wasn't using the XP drivers, Nor the Vista drivers.
My theory was it wasn't a proper install of the Omega Drivers on my laptop.
And I was also using Acer drivers for my laptops screen on both operating systems.

And I didn't say updating the drivers, I said uninstalling them completely.
Even if it requires taking that graphics card and monitor off that machine and Borrowing another video card and monitor temporarily to uninstall everything.
Its worked for me in the past when Doing a... *Ahem* Over clocking on TnT2 M64 cards to see how long they could last, and If I could revive them.

Sometimes if there is a hardware failure, And you are required to do a reboot (Via the pwetty reset button!), it can affect drivers and other parts required for the device to function properly.

" can a high resolution kill a monitor?!"
In theory no, But in the world of computers anything could happen.

Was the monitor ever making weird noises when changing resolutions, Or whine at certain resolutions and refresh rates? How old was the monitor?
now about the Graphics card, What model of graphics card? On-board? AGP or PCI-E?
Were you using Omega Drivers, or NGO drivers etc? Any over clocking involved? What condition is the Power supply unit in?
How does the monitor get its power? Via a power point, or the Power supply unit?

All points that could be answered and a solution discovered.

ESF Head Team Mapper
πŸ‘‘ Administrator
🌠 Staff
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ‚ Regular
Best answers
ok I'll sum this up again ... I used the 21" monitor on this comp, geforce6600GT gpu, increased the resolution and the screen would stay black. Even after rebooting it would stay black on POST screen or windows loading logo or w/e.
I plugged an old spare 17" monitor to the comp to check if it was the monitors or the graphic cards fault, apperantly the old17" monitor works just fine (using it right now)
then I tryed to plug the 21" monitor into my brothers comp (gf6800 or something) but it was the same result >_<
either way, I'm gonna leave it laying around there for another day or two and then try to plug it again (who knows .. it might works after all xD)

oh btw, I have no warranty for that monitor (acer p211) and its from 2001 or so anyway >_<
Guess I'll just have to buy a new one on ebay or something ... 17" feels so friggin small

Best answers
I wasn't using the XP drivers, Nor the Vista drivers.
My theory was it wasn't a proper install of the Omega Drivers on my laptop.
And I was also using Acer drivers for my laptops screen on both operating systems.
No, it's just the generic monitor (not GPU) drivers in Windows XP weren't as up to date as Vista's. That's the only reason you got the extra resolutions.
And I didn't say updating the drivers, I said uninstalling them completely.
Even if it requires taking that graphics card and monitor off that machine and Borrowing another video card and monitor temporarily to uninstall everything.
Its worked for me in the past when Doing a... *Ahem* Over clocking on TnT2 M64 cards to see how long they could last, and If I could revive them.
If another monitor is working on his card, then the drivers aren't fubar.
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
there are a million ways that Windows would have allowed him the wrong resolutions or refresh rates for his monitor.
But there's one logical way: Uncheck the "Hide modes this monitor cannot support" in the nVidia control panel :p.

DJ-Ready, Leave the monitor unplugged from the computer, but with the power cord plugged in, and turn it on. Does it show anything (like an error or something about not receiving any input, or is that LCD only)?

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
No, it's just the generic monitor (not GPU) drivers in Windows XP weren't as up to date as Vista's. That's the only reason you got the extra resolutions.
I was using actually monitor drivers, Nothing to do with the video card.
When I first got the laptop I could recall it having a similar resolution but after several formats just forgot about it.

DJ-Ready, Leave the monitor unplugged from the computer, but with the power cord plugged in, and turn it on. Does it show anything (like an error or something about not receiving any input, or is that LCD only)?
Some CRT monitors do the same.

Take it to a T.V repair man, CRT monitors can be repaired like a T.V. And it usually doesn't cost all that much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom