Camera Angles

Best answers
I've been meaning to ask this for a while, and haven't seen this topic brought up, so here it goes. What's up with the camera angles? In all of the videos that show melee, the camera angles do some super crazy shit when an exchange of melee hits happen. Is that something you guys do to showcase the animations? I'd personally would rather keep the camera angle aimed at the character's back in a traditional third person style, not go all cinematic on me.

Also, if it's actually part of the game, would having an option to turn the cinematic angles off be out of the question?

Force Pit Member
Best answers
I'm pretty sure it is a feature, but it'll probably be toggleable.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You can adjust the camera angles in 1.2. I'm fairly certain this is exactly the same thing.

Best answers
I don't really remember much about 1.2, other than the melee, since I quit shortly after it released, but an option to turn off the cinematic angles would be great.

Thanks for the speedy replies.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The camera angles are basically just cinematic effects for attacks, I'm pretty sure you can turn them off. I don't know how they'll affect gameplay though, with the camera going everywhere during certain attacks.

Best answers
if you look at the April Fool's video that came out this year Raven (the person in the video) is adjusting the camera angle. As far as your last question goes you CAN turn off cinematic melee effects with a command in console - I'll try n find it.

this is how the command to disable camera angles: cl_camprovider 0

Last edited:
Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Camera angles are cinematic effects. Can be dissabled VIA console and yes they are annoying as hell. Although im hoping we can have a 2 stage camera angle system where you also have cameras you can not dissabled and can be used for gameplay enhancements. Like a slightly dissorientating camera effect when you get hit by a special melee attack or something like that.

Best answers
No idea what a 2 stage camera is, I just don't wanna lose where I am because of a weird camera angle.

1.0 and 1.1 were pretty fast paced, and 1.3 doesn't seem to far off, as far as i have noticed. I dunno, I just think it'd be awkward to throw a weird camera effect in that kind of gameplay. As long as it doesn't affect gameplay I guess.

Last edited:
Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No idea what a 2 stage camera is, I just don't wanna lose where I am because of a weird camera angle.

1.0 and 1.1 were pretty fast paced, and 1.3 doesn't seem to far off, as far as i have noticed. I dunno, I just think it'd be awkward to throw a weird camera effect in that kind of gameplay. As long as it doesn't affect gameplay I guess.
What i meant with 2 stage was to have 2 different kinds of effects. The first is the overall effects that you can dissable, while the second is speciffic effects that you can not dissable.

For example getting hit with a melee special would cause your camera to move in a way that is dissorientating for you to simulate the hit you just took. You could not turn that off, but the camera effects that happen on transformations and so on would be your choice to have in or not.

Thats what i meant with 2 stage.

Though ATM it seems like itll simply be effects on or off.

I am no more
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
What i meant with 2 stage was to have 2 different kinds of effects. The first is the overall effects that you can dissable, while the second is speciffic effects that you can not dissable.

For example getting hit with a melee special would cause your camera to move in a way that is dissorientating for you to simulate the hit you just took. You could not turn that off, but the camera effects that happen on transformations and so on would be your choice to have in or not.

Thats what i meant with 2 stage.

Though ATM it seems like itll simply be effects on or off.
This would be cool, because i could imagine disabling the cinematic for a more flowing gameplay, if you're pro.

I'm not competent in animations or programming, but maybe programmers could add some kind of variable classification for each camera animation. So later console command "cl_cinematic 0" would disable only the animations that are for the cinematic purposes, not other MUST HAVE animations for proper gameplay.

Could something like that work ?

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This would be cool, because i could imagine disabling the cinematic for a more flowing gameplay, if you're pro.

I'm not competent in animations or programming, but maybe programmers could add some kind of variable classification for each camera animation. So later console command "cl_cinematic 0" would disable only the animations that are for the cinematic purposes, not other MUST HAVE animations for proper gameplay.

Could something like that work ?
Not animations, its "camera animations".

And my issue with it is, ATM we can use it to simulate being slightly dissorientatedafter being hit with a special attack and stuff like that. But if you dissable the camera system, then you dont get those animations. BUT there are other animations that are absolutley horrible gameplay wise and add nothing but confusion, while still looking superb movie wise. What i want is a system that allows us to say "Camera angle X is important for gameplay as it adds a element to it, while camera Y is just for show".

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom