Buying swords

Best answers
Ok, I have money (yay)... I wanna spend it for my birthday... I'm looking into getting a sword, cuz I'm just not geeky enough, dammit! (nevermind the fact that my jersey number is 42 and I get math awards in school)

I'm casting my dreams upon the ESF boards, like pearls upon swine.... Wait, that's bad.. And there's no real metaphorical way to say that, anyways... But I digress. I want to get a sword I can actually practice my sword skills with (no more broom handles for me!). I want something that's full-contact use, but not necessarily sharp. Something japanese works (generally lighter, which suits my combat style better), however smaller dual-edged swords that resemble the swords designed during the renaissance period are acceptable.

Before you get ready to pour in sites, or maybe in specific weapons, I'd like to mention my budget.... Under $150 CDN. I might be able to make it up to 200, but that'd be dipping into other funds, which I'd prefer not to do.

Like I said, though, I don't need anything ESPECIALLY fancy. I just want to be able to swing it without fear that the blade will come out of the hilt and go flying into my neighbor's forehead.

Will ya help me? \o/ :D

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wolf Devil said:
Like I said, though, I don't need anything ESPECIALLY fancy. I just want to be able to swing it without fear that the blade will come out of the hilt and go flying into my neighbor's forehead.
I know what you mean, my last sword i messed up nearly killed me when the blade went straight up then back down, it caught my ankle and bled for a while.

Stupid show swords... Only real sword i had i gave as a present.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sephiroth's Masamune > all.

Only downside is the price though, heh..

Best answers
Wolf Devil said:
I want to get a sword I can actually practice my sword skills with (no more broom handles for me!). I want something that's full-contact use
then i advise you not to buy one, i would advise you to buy a Bokken (wooden Katana normaly used for kendo Training). since a metal sword in the hands of a novice is dangerous.

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

I want to get a sword I can actually practice my sword skills with (no more broom handles for me!) - iaido
I want something that's full-contact use - bokken

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
A Bokken is the best thing to start off with. I think it is better if you find a store that sells them rather than ones that sell them online since a Bokken and even a sword can be bought at different lengths. The best way to tell if a Bokken is the right length is if you hold it by the handle on your side and see how far the tip is from the ground; the tip should barely touch the ground.

Also a word of warning. If you choose to practice a while with a Bokken before you practice with a real sword you will notice a big difference in weight between the Bokken and sword so be careful. I would also recommend finding a dojo which teaches you how to use a Bokken since it is not easy doing it by yourself.

Best answers
Nabeshin said:
then i advise you not to buy one, i would advise you to buy a Bokken (wooden Katana normaly used for kendo Training). since a metal sword in the hands of a novice is dangerous.
Yeah, what's your point?

MC said:
A Bokken is the best thing to start off with
Mmkay... then if I go back in time, to when I was a dangerous novice, I will start off with one... But since I have no time machine at the moment, and I'm stuck being me... there's nothing I can do.

X said:
http://www.weaponmasters.com/?ID=WEAPONS&ITEM=WM-5000

o_O
It's a purdy sword, with a purdy price tag, X. Besides, it's not very practical for my intentions with it... when I become rich and feel like looking all badass at my next halloween party, I'll think about it, though.

Fatal_CobraX: I was very tired when I made that post.. when I said 'full contact use,' I meant 'functionally apt'... I don't intend on slicing rocks with it, a la Z sword. I just don't want it breaking apart when I swing the sucker. But yeah, a bokken would be good at least for sparring...

jp

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wolf Devil said:
Yeah, what's your point?
Probably that he doesn't want to see that you go waving around with a katana and accidentally chop of your own leg or something. :p

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I got a Bokken. Just make sure you don't do those stunts like in the movies. It will break!

Best answers
jp said:
Probably that he doesn't want to see that you go waving around with a katana and accidentally chop of your own leg or something. :p
No, he obviously wasn't talking about me, he was talking about a dangerous novice.

DJ: Er.. what kind of moves are those, exactly? And what kind fool would attempt them?

Anyways, so far I've found a few that I liked. Really cheap, and have gotten mostly good reviews..
Dai Ko Myo combo
Black Ninja Tactical Katana

And... well.. all of the ones I Really like are essentially the same weapon. But I like the Dai Ko Myo cuz it has the 2nd one, and the BNTK because it has a rather nice sheath..

Thoughts? Other recommendations?

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
First off... Do you have any experience with swords, meaning years of experience from an official instructor? And why would you start off with a real sword which can seriously injure you?

Do you want a sword just to mess around with or something?

Best answers
MC said:
First off... Do you have any experience with swords, meaning years of experience from an official instructor? And why would you start off with a real sword which can seriously injure you?

Yes, and I WOULDN'T start off with a real sword which could seriously injure me. I've already explained all I really need to (and then some) in regards to my future purchase.

Look, I made this thread looking for online buys... id est, recommendations for specific retailers/sites to buy from. I don't need someone coming in here to talk down to me like I'm a 9 year old kid looking for a new toy.

I'm just looking for a good deal... Beyond that, what the hell do you care? Honestly, if I spend a lot of money on a piece of sharp metal, and then slice my own head off, how will it affect you? And my background with weapons, how does that affect you either? Hmm?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
MC said:

Just let the guy buy his sword, he only asked for help making his decision. If hes dumb enough to cut himself with it, he probably shouldnt be trusted with knives either.

Reverse blade? Eww...

Best answers
frsrblch said:
Just let the guy buy his sword, he only asked for help making his decision. If hes dumb enough to cut himself with it, he probably shouldnt be trusted with knives either.

Reverse blade? Eww...
Thank you... Note the keyword: IF

I have considered that sword, but including shipping it's a might pricey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom