Buying a new laptop and had a few questions

And then there were none.
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Hey guys and gals. I'm considering buying a new laptop for under $3000 and I had my eye on a specific one.
It is the MSI GT783-625US. It comes with 16gb of Ram, an amazing GTX580 GPU,
and a Full HD Intel i7-2670QM quad core processor.

As for Rom it has a 128gb ssd, and a 750 HHD. My only concern is that some reviews, whom I believe to be in the know
about computers, posted that it's only problem was the 128 gb ssd, and that they took it out an added a "better" one.

My question is why would I need a better solid state drive, and why is a 128 gb bad.
Any help would be most appriciated, thanks
Sincerely Dawntilldusc

Judge. Jury. Executioner
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, SSDs work differently in the way they delete and store data. Older SSDs had the problem of slowing down after you deleted a lot of stuff. Its supposedly a lot better with the new ones, so maybe thats what they fixed. Or it could just be a more efficient model.

And 128GB is by no means bad, just don't use it to store all your personal data like movies, songs and stuff like that. An SSD should mostly have the System files, CPU intensive programs, most Graphic intensive games and a few other simple software that will not continuously write to the disk.

Personally, you could do without it if you are strained for Cash but its your call.

Don't really have any comments on the Laptop though.

Death from Above
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
SSD's age faster then a traditional hard drive so perhaps they opted to replace it for a bigger traditional drive.

But like Z Power said I wouldn't store anything on it other than system files or anything that won't be rewritten much, and I've read in several places never have file indexing on a SSD because it slows them down

๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
If you spend $2000 on a desktop computer, and $1000 on a laptop, you'd be far better off. It really isn't a good idea to buy a gaming laptop. They're prone to overheating, and are more like "moveable computers" than they are anything else. If you're in the need of a laptop for school, just buy something cheap and spend the rest of your cash on a desktop for gaming.

Lost in space
Banned
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Gotta side with Avenger. Gaming laptops have an odd tendency to just suddenly blue screen and **** out on you. If you do -need- to get one, get a cooling pad with it.

And as a side-note, never get a toshiba from walmart. I dunno wtf materials they use, but the majority of sudden hardware crashes seem to be toshibas from walmart.

sub

๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Does it matter where you purchase the laptop? I thought if they're the same model, it doesn't matter what retailer you buy them from. In any case, the first laptop I ever owned was an HP and that thing cost like 800 dollars, but was probably the worst machine ever made in the history of mankind. I bought a Toshiba laptop next, and that machine happens to be the best machine ever made in the history of mankind, perhaps coming second only to that one Mars Rover that refuses to die. Got my mother a Toshiba machine, too, which also turned out to be awesome.

As for everything else, I don't know much about Solid State drives so I can't help there. I'd opt to do what Avenger did, though, and spend 1000 to get a really nice desktop, and 1000 or so to get a very nice laptop. Some people swear by gaming laptops, but overheating is a real concern, and for the money, gaming desktops are much better value. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Lost in space
Banned
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
That's what I would think too. But all, and i mean ALL toshiba's that I get in the shop with sudden hardware errors have been from Wal-mart. Otherwise, toshiba's are pretty good laptops. Could quite possibly be that my wal-mart is scamming the **** outta people. It'd be the perfect crime, really. Who would ever think the management in wal-mart are cheap pieces of crap?

๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Does it matter where you purchase the laptop? I thought if they're the same model, it doesn't matter what retailer you buy them from.
The tricky part is figuring out whether it's the same model or not. A lot of models look the same, but have different hardware/software. Plus, I believe he was referring to "Toshiba" and not a specific model of Toshiba.

In any case, the first laptop I ever owned was an HP and that thing cost like 800 dollars, but was probably the worst machine ever made in the history of mankind. I bought a Toshiba laptop next, and that machine happens to be the best machine ever made in the history of mankind, perhaps coming second only to that one Mars Rover that refuses to die. Got my mother a Toshiba machine, too, which also turned out to be awesome.
If I were to buy a new laptop right now, I would buy a Toshiba Satellite or a midrange Acer (making sure it had a discrete graphics card of decent quality of course). Though, god damn, that ASUS EEE Pad Transformer Prime 1201 thing looks spectacular (tablet, not a laptop, though it's easy to be fooled).

As for the SSD issue... SSDs are different, but as long as you make sure it's an OK quality one, you should be fine. A lot of those reviewers are snobs and or morons (think Mkilbride with slightly more knowledge), and that makes them a bit unreliable. Some SSDs are fast but unstable (like mine), other SSDs are slightly slower, but stable. Some SSDs are utter crap and should be avoided. Just google the model number for your SSD and read up on it.

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
Best answers
Get the laptop with the biggest rims. 16gb of RAM is overkill, hell 8GB isn't even necessary yet.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Future proofing never hurts. The new set of consoles are right around the corner.

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
Best answers
Future proofing never hurts. The new set of consoles are right around the corner.
False. Hurts the pockets and most of the time, higher capacity RAM results in slower RAM with more room (unless there's a more recent reputable performance indexes available to debunk this) 4GB generally has had faster performance ratings than 8GB, and I can only imagine what it would be with 16GB.
I at times have 2 games running, and 30 internet browsers, photoshop, steam, email, and other small programs running including a movie. All with 8GB, no issues...

What the hell would you use 16gb for?

Last edited:
Judge. Jury. Executioner
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
False. Hurts the pockets and most of the time, higher capacity RAM results in slower RAM with more room (unless there's a more recent reputable performance indexes available to debunk this) 4GB generally has had faster performance ratings than 8GB, and I can only imagine what it would be with 16GB.
Right, money for buying ordinary parts is supposed to fall out of a tree, while you need to sell your soul to get better components that cost slightly more. I don't know where you get your facts, but its the RAM's specifications that determine its performance. I don't know why you used "most of the time", you don't buy RAM based on probability.

I at times have 2 games running, and 30 internet browsers, photoshop, steam, email, and other small programs running including a movie. All with 8GB, no issues...

What the hell would you use 16gb for?
Pretty much for everything other than what you've mentioned.

G-Bear
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Does it matter where you purchase the laptop? I thought if they're the same model, it doesn't matter what retailer you buy them from. In any case, the first laptop I ever owned was an HP and that thing cost like 800 dollars, but was probably the worst machine ever made in the history of mankind. I bought a Toshiba laptop next, and that machine happens to be the best machine ever made in the history of mankind, perhaps coming second only to that one Mars Rover that refuses to die. Got my mother a Toshiba machine, too, which also turned out to be awesome.

As for everything else, I don't know much about Solid State drives so I can't help there. I'd opt to do what Avenger did, though, and spend 1000 to get a really nice desktop, and 1000 or so to get a very nice laptop. Some people swear by gaming laptops, but overheating is a real concern, and for the money, gaming desktops are much better value. Good luck with whatever you choose.
True HP is complete ****, same as Acer, Packard Bell, Gateway, Haier.

Toshiba, Samsung, Asus, Sony and MSI build the most reliable laptops. This is not only from personal experience, but there is research that says the same.(1 in 4 and 1 in 3 HP, Acer etc. die in respectively 2 year and 3 years!)

Judge. Jury. Executioner
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
My Acer laptop is almost 5 years old and still plays Oblivion. When I bought it, it was the only laptop that offered the power required to play Oblivion and more at the price range I wanted.

I will stick by Acer, if I can, in the future. If you know how to maintain your laptop, it does not matter what Brand it is, it will last a long time.

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers

sub

๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
If you know how to maintain your laptop, it does not matter what Brand it is, it will last a long time.
This is all conjecture on my part, but I don't think that's true. I would imagine that all the major brands are buying parts from the same vendors, but the case designs are all different. Some designs will be more prone to overheating and thus hardware failure. Also, you can take care of something, but sometimes parts just die on their own and no amount of care would have prevented it. I didn't do anything to break my aforementioned horrible HP laptop, it simply decided that it was tired of life.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
I agree, machine parts are pretty fickle, and electronics in general have a tendency to spaz out at times without any warning whatsoever. Some brands have better quality parts which have greater probability of not ending up in the trash heap. But nothing can substitute proper maintenance. I've seen many Toshiba and Dell users abuse the heck out of their Lappys, and pretty much end up buying another one within an year or so.

Its just taking proper care reduces the chances of them giving up. Not everytime, but it helps.

Death from Above
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Then he might as well buy a mediocre computer and burn a thousand dollars...
lol.

My wife had an asus before it got stolen. Was a good laptop did what she wanted well

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Sagers have always treated me well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom