Bury your Wii; Try motion control on the PS3!

I WANT A PICTURE NAME
Banned
Best answers
wow that was just realy amazing ^^
i think if this is for the ps3... and its using that webcam called eyetoy i guess or itoy...
well dont you think it could be used the same for pc :D

The Brain Freezer
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
It's great to play that sword / shuriken / Bow game, wow very impressive, and yeah I agree, bury your wiis.

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I seen that on G4 when they were showing E3. It looks sooo beasty.

πŸš‚ Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
And probably this tech will be integrated in the PC like all the console controllers did and then the PS3 will **** bricks again.

β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
ugh, I have to agree with yahtzee on this kinda stuff though, as fun as it is for 5 minutes, its not what i want to use to play all my games. I have a much better idea for a controller that would be easy to do, yet awesome, if only i could afford the patent ;_;

Now with Kung-Fu action!
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Motion control is a gimmick with the Wii. Most good titles only use it for minor things like aiming a bow or flicking too attack. SSBB is best without motion control.

There's also motion plus to consider, motion control isn't going to skyrocket PS3 sales. Not that I'm saying it's going to be a failure, it's just that Nintendo already have it.

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
And probably this tech will be integrated in the PC like all the console controllers did and then the PS3 will **** bricks again.
Except that this type of motion control has been avaiable for ages on the PC already with your webcam and flash games, and developers won't develop games for the PC using the EyeToy (which is basically just a webcam).

http://www.extendedreality.com/webcam_games_info.html

The only thing the PS3 does, is extend this using the balls attached to the controllers which it tracks, and the game adds a racket, bow or sword on top of it (or translates it into a character following your movements).

Still, the way that the PS3 tracks it in a 3d environment, rather than the Wii's 2d environment, makes it far more awesome. Although I don't expect myself wavering the controller all day long with PS3 Sports Resorts, Sony has many franchises that Nintendo doesn't. Imagine playing Silent Hill with this controller, using the controller as your flashlight or something. It won't get much more immersive than that, it won't look half as silly as it does on the Wii, and I certainly wouldn't mind playing Silent Hill with a motion tracking controller portraying a flashlight.

Now with Kung-Fu action!
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Still, the way that the PS3 tracks it in a 3d environment, rather than the Wii's 2d environment, makes it far more awesome.
Wii motion controls do work in 3D. Admittedly, it's not used terribly often (Mario and Sonic uses it a little in archery) but it does exist.

Silent Hill would be pretty cool with motion control but so would the next Zelda title. The problem with adding it now is that it's already well established on the Wii, which came with it. Another issue is how many developers pick up on it, if it doesn't do well initially many will probably cast it as optional and only discourage people from buying games that need it.

David, what is your idea? I'm curious ^^.

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, I didn't mean 3d environment, as in a 3d game. I ment that you can use the controller in 3 dimensions, because it doesn't rely on a piece that tracks the infrared signal coming from the wiimote (and thus only working in 2 dimensions, correct me if I am wrong though, I thought this was the way the Wii worked?), but a ball that can point in all directions. As best seen in the part with the flashlight.

Now with Kung-Fu action!
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, I didn't mean 3d environment, as in a 3d game. I ment that you can use the controller in 3 dimensions, because it doesn't rely on a piece that tracks the infrared signal coming from the wiimote (and thus only working in 2 dimensions, correct me if I am wrong though, I thought this was the way the Wii worked?), but a ball that can point in all directions. As best seen in the part with the flashlight.
The Wii remote can do 3d. As in left/right, up/down, towards screen/away from screen. Not too many games use all three though, Wii Sports does for a few of its sub-games (Baseball and Bowling being prime examples).

Force Pit Member
Best answers
lol, the presenter sounds like such a geek xD, I hope he got good pay xD

Seen it though, and its gewd, maybe ill get ps3 just for that :p

Edit: I just noticed something now, the responses are too fast, making it unreal, that is because the object has no real weight and the proportions of movement are too fast. For example: a baseball video game as the hitter will be hard since the bat has some weight which helps you because the bat doesn't get all that crazy with its motion, you have some slower motion than the bat was weightless.

They either can fix it like so: The video game itself will have a weight simulator for each weapon, item, whatever (I don't think it will work well because outside of the game the player will feel its not synchronized)

They can give with the sensor stick, when you buy it, some weights, to fit it by the game you play and how comfort it is for you. Maybe they can make it so you can put the weights inside the stick.

The last thing that comes to mind is that they can have inside the stick some weights, which somehow could be triggered by the video game itself when you play it. Each video game will use a certain amount to make it realistic.

Should I call Sony now and tell them that?

Last edited:
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't think it would really work. Playing a baseballl game for example would get as tireing as playing baseball in the reall world. Which isn't exactly too great for a game. Then again, they could add the same option some of the Logitech mouses have, my G5 has a small pocket inside the mouse where I can add some weight to change the entire balance of the mouse.

Dudemeister
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
That's it, i'm totally getting a PS3.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Why would I want to substitute a gimmicky concept from one console with a gimmicky concept from another?

When I do use my Wii, it's usually not for an all-motion-controlled game, it's for the franchises that the system has that the 360 and PS3 will likely never have. This seems, to me, to be much like when Sony and Microsoft changed their advertising angle to appear as "family entertainment" after the Wii cleaned up in that market (even after people extolled them for being the champions of the "core gamer"). Console gaming just isn't going anywhere for me.

Sorry, Sony. Nice try.

Last edited:
whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I play my wii with my wavebird...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom