Building a PC

Best answers
Well, I'm going to build a new PC because this old PII can't handle much.. So far I plan on purchasing..

CASE
Lian Li PC-61USB Aluminum Case w/o Power Supply*-*Aluminum Black Mid-Tower case with 12 device bays, 4 USB ports and 3 fans. CAD $199.99

MOTHERBOARD
Asus® P4P800, Socket 478, 865PE Chipsets (ATX)*-*Onboard Audio and 10/100 Lan. CAD $174.99

CPU
Intel® Pentium® 4 - 2.4B-GHz @ 533Mhz w/ 512k (Socket 478) (Retail Box) w/ Heatsink & Fan. CAD $244.99

VIDEO CARD
Sapphire Atlantis Radeon™ 9200 128Mb DDR Single-Head AGP Video Card. CAD $109.99

It comes out to about CAD $729.96.. What you guys think good or rip? And I haven't planned the other parts just yet.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Are you building a whone new pc up? Including monitor?

Hang on.. $199 for a case without a power supply? Thats a rip off if I ever saw one. Try and find a case with a psu built in. Thats £88 which is pretty expensive.

It all looks ok so far. Don't forget if your building from scratch you need all the extra's such as:

Cooler fan
Floppy drive
All the cables

I would go for a 17" monitor because otherwise the price will skyrocket. And how much is your budget?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Gamespy.com had a "PC building article", I'll try and dig it up for you.

Best answers
Heh, Well I need a good ATX case and I already have a power supply so I'm fine there, And my budget is CAD $250 most for each part. And, I'm probably not going to buy a monitor I got one already thats pretty new so, heh.

And I'm using the Build Your Own PC article from PCMech, http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/step/1/

Best answers
Well, this should be the right page for the Gamespy article.
http://www.gamespy.com/articles/july03/ultimateprimer/
A little word of advice: Try to keep your options open instead of rushing into something great that turns out worse. I a product looks interest, look at the back of the box and i bet you find something interesting about it.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No thats not the article, but its basically the same thing.

Best answers
well in my opinion yes but everyone has a different opinion on it... my friends 1.6 amd runs better than my friends p4 2.0 .... soo..ya...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Polo said:
VIDEO CARD
Sapphire Atlantis Radeon™ 9200 128Mb DDR Single-Head AGP Video Card. CAD $109.99
I'd extremely recommend getting a better video card, that 9200 wont cut it in tommorrows games.

I'd recommend :
>9500/9500 Pro
>9600/9600 Pro
>9700/9700 Pro

Those would at atleast 2 times faster than a 9200.

Polo said:
CPU
Intel® Pentium® 4 - 2.4B-GHz @ 533Mhz w/ 512k (Socket 478) (Retail Box) w/ Heatsink & Fan. CAD $244.99
If you want some better performance, get an Intel® Pentium® 4 - 2.4C-GHz @ 800Mhz w/ 512k.

I hope I helped =].

-UltraPerfectCell

About AMD vs Intel, Intel is faster overall and it costs more. If your friends AMD was faster then the Intel, he could have other better computer components. I'd think Intell would be a good choice if your a speed demon and get AMD if you cant afford the top stuff ;).

K

Best answers
hey cool its gonna be a tight pc but i got a question for all of u how come nobody ever get nvidia anymore i think theyre great vid cards

Hsu

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have an nvidia gf4 ti 4200 will all the bells and whisles. But the reason most people are going with ati is because there cards are now becoming the best ones for games.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i like nvidia too :)
I have a 2 year old gf3 atm tho o_O

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
K said:
hey cool its gonna be a tight pc but i got a question for all of u how come nobody ever get nvidia anymore i think theyre great vid cards
ATi cards have (I believe) much better image quality. Their Anistropic Filtering is alot better than NVIDIA's, so is their Antialiasing. Infact the 2x Antialiasing on an ATi card is just as good, if not much better, than an NVIDIA card. Also, an ATi card's image quality is just sharper overall.

If you were to give the GeForce the same image quality as the Radeon's, they would perform horribly.

-UltraPerfectCell

Best answers
Ultra, I'm not changing the processor.. $250 budget per part :p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
UltraPerfectCel said:
ATi cards have (I believe) much better image quality. Their Anistropic Filtering is alot better than NVIDIA's, so is their Antialiasing. Infact the 2x Antialiasing on an ATi card is just as good, if not much better, than an NVIDIA card. Also, an ATi card's image quality is just sharper overall.

If you were to give the GeForce the same image quality as the Radeon's, they would perform horribly.

-UltraPerfectCell

Supposedly this image degration is driver issues and nvidia is planning on releasing a fix for it on FX cards in the next detonator drivers.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They 'h0x0red' their drivers to get better 3d marks, if they could fix the "degration" and make it perform the same I might backup NVIDIA, but untill then, ATi! =]

-UltraPerfectCell

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom