BTL - Trunks WIP

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
TRSS said:
looks like u just pritty much ignored davids drawover, this might be hard to believe, but he actually knows wat hes talking about =O, any way, his forehead is wayyyy to wide, u should learn that instead of just following a ref to the spot, u should actually make it look good =o, u should fix that, also i see a lotta problems in the mesh, ill tell you wat trowa tells me, u need to think in 3d, and from the side view it looks like hes leaning forward a a little

edit* pointy crotches are never smecksi =O
gj... His crotch isn't pointy... idk where the hell you pulled that out of

Oh and I didn't know I should make it look good in the process.. I mean jeez, what was I modeling for anyway? Dave's drawover was not entirely ignored... He is a little off on the hair from both views, so I ignored that.. but I did pull it back a little from the side. Obviously I haven't followed the ref 'spot on', as you can see from the side view. I pulled his head up a little and his hair back due to the fact the ref I was so generously provided with was a bit leaned over.

Who says I have to think in 3D? Oh gosh... Forgot again...
He (my model) isn't leaning foward at all, I specifically left the reference in there to show the differences between a leaning over Trunk's and a straight Trunks.

Ok, and about the forehead... It is a bit long from the hairline to the eyes, but it's not Wide... Ya, I'll fix that later. Thanks for your time...

I am also going to fix the pants... make them less skin tight from the side view

Best answers

im sorry i was under the impression that if it made a triangle it was pointy, but i guess i was wrong, and backs dont arch that way buddeh

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Actually your hair is wrong, ive got all of the dbz manga, and when i drew the drawover i used some of my shonen jump as reference, its definately not as wide as you made it. It might correspond to that single ref you've been using, but when you model something which is drawn its always best to have as many references by your side as possible (thats why I use manga). The head is a too far forward, and i'd like to add again the fact you will not see the inside of the jacket ingame unless you put polies over it. I will also emphasize the point that you shouldnt be modeling folds on the legs, and think about deformation, for the love of god, or trunks will have his legs bending at his thighs, you know you should still try to keep the poly flow on the legs like edgeloops on the face, smooth transitions of form instead of quite drastic angles. His arms are also too small, his hands should be at the same level as his crotch. His sword belt thing >_> or whatever it is, doesnt go near his trousers, it doesnt even go below the belt. There is also no need for the indent in the front of the crotch, that area is too detailed to be modeled low poly, you leave those parts to the skin.

I may sound arrogant, but please dont ignore me, im trying to help.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
TRSS said:

im sorry i was under the impression that if it made a triangle it was pointy, but i guess i was wrong, and backs dont arch that way buddeh
I'm not your 'buddeh', first of all.
Second of all, The back is covered by the jacket, in which case his back ISN't arched like you say it is.
I don't know how your crotch is shaped... but...

And thanks Ski for that lengthy, helpful crit. I'll look at more references

Best answers
Hmm, I just noticed something. I understand that Trunks' hair is a bit short, but I don't think it's down far enough. I had to stare at your ref for a while to see it. I hope you can see what I'm saying, but it looks like his hair is a little high up. Doesn't Trunks' hair come down to just above his eye level?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
forget the crotch, look at the poly distrubution you've got like tons of unused polies in the chest that do nothing, yet the pants are very light you should either take some polies out of his neck/chest area or add some to the pants. It will make the structure of the model look 100% better either way.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Thanks for the helpful crits, Ski and Tek

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
creds to poopeh

model your knee's like that, not in that horrible diamond pattern

CM

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Alrighty, here we go.

(I got a wacom bishes)

Feet - Waaaaay too tiny, pointy. Very scrunched and does not look like a human foot. You're not making much use of that one strip of polies at the top either, might as well not be there. Or if it's going to be there, then fix it.

Legs - Useless strip of edges near the bottom, WEIRD ASS "knee" joint that would not deform and looks like doodeh, and terrible crotch. Your crotch will not deform, look at the (terrible) wireframe drawover thinger.

Chest - Still using WAY too many polygons. Don't need to define EVERYTHING. That's why we have NORMAL MAPS and SKINNERS. =P

Shoulders and Elbows - More like No Deformers and Deformbows M I RITE? Fix it, it will not deform.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I haven't ever put a model in game, so I am a little consfused as to what a good joint is for deformation. Thanks for the extensive crits/drawovers, will fix it

CM

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I did my best to find everything that my inexperienced eyes could find wrong with it. Also, with the knees, do what gir posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom